Fast FAC A/O-38N

Started by Librarian, July 07, 2013, 06:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Father Ennis

Truely outstanding !!!!   Those tip tanks really look great !!!!

Librarian

Can anyone actually identify the tanks. They're really nice and I'd like to get some more. Almost 100% sure they're Airfix 1/48 but from.....?

kerick

I recall a picture in an old Squadron Signal book of an 0-2 (Cessna Skymaster) painted black for night missions but with the words "THE FAC" in giant white letters across the wings. Nothing like some visual recognition.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

sturmvogel

I think the tip tanks might be the Fletcher tanks from an F-80 Shooting Star, minus the fins.
"Helos don't fly, they vibrate so hard the ground rejects them." -Tom Clancy

Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off

Librarian

Quote from: kerick on July 10, 2013, 06:39:32 PM
I recall a picture in an old Squadron Signal book of an 0-2 (Cessna Skymaster) painted black for night missions but with the words "THE FAC" in giant white letters across the wings. Nothing like some visual recognition.

The one I'm aiming for has the large letters "DON'T SHOOT" on the upper wings. Always liked the look of that.

Due to various commitments including painting my Father in law's house I'm having to put this project on hold for a couple of weeks. Will update ASAP. Just found the perfect candidate for an AC-? gunship. Good news is it comes with six 7-shot rocket launchers ;D.

Librarian

p.s. forgot to add (if this is of interest) the tip tanks are from the 1/48 Sea Vixen. Lovely kit, just didn't use the tanks and they ended up in the spares box :thumbsup:.

Tophe

Great model! :bow:
Are the engines radials? But liquid cooled with coolers on booms? :unsure: (this is not realist complain, just a wish of a technical backstory if possible - if this is something never seen anywhere else, this is even better ;) )
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Librarian

The engines are radials (got a bit tired of in-lines) but I kept the air scoops as I like them and was a little of an F$U copy where the scoops are in the wing-roots....it's all whiff anyway.

Managed to do some work last coupla nights as it's been too hot to sleep much:

and:

The hardest part so far has been to glue the central canopy together, sand it smooth, fill with putty and use as a template to 'vacform' a clear canopy as per instructions on Yahoo. Took a few goes but looks good....not in these pictures yet. Still drying. Still needs u/c doors, nose minigun, pylons and rocket pods, but getting there.

I love all those blade and whip aerials on the real thing so did my best... ;D.

Logan Hartke

Got to admit, wasn't entirely sure how this one was going to turn out, but this looks fantastic!

Cheers,

Logan

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Librarian on July 17, 2013, 12:31:42 PM
The hardest part so far has been to glue the central canopy together, sand it smooth, fill with putty and use as a template to 'vacform' a clear canopy as per instructions on Yahoo.

WHICH instructions on Yahoo? Please give us a link so we can profit from your learning too.That canopy looks great after the work, as does the rest of the model.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Librarian

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 17, 2013, 01:59:51 PM
Quote from: Librarian on July 17, 2013, 12:31:42 PM
The hardest part so far has been to glue the central canopy together, sand it smooth, fill with putty and use as a template to 'vacform' a clear canopy as per instructions on Yahoo.

WHICH instructions on Yahoo? Please give us a link so we can profit from your learning too.That canopy looks great after the work, as does the rest of the model.  :thumbsup:

I'll try and locate it. It just showed how to make a template on a stand, then warm up some clear plastic in the oven with the sides held in grips. When malleable enough you pull the sheet down over the template. Took about 10-12 attempts but the result is acceptable. Post a pic. tomorrow.

Old Wombat

Sweet looking build! Neat concept, great execution. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Librarian

http://www.ffscale.co.uk/page4f.htm . This will take you to a page similar to the one I used (but cannot locate). I just used a technique described some years ago in SAM magazine about using milliput instead of carving a balsa 'male'. It's not perfect but has worked on this occasion :party:. Might do some further experiments to refine the process as it could be useful....

kerick

Your FAC looks great! If anyone asks tell them the scoops are for the intake and exhaust of the supercharger. It worked for the P-47.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Alvis 3.14159

That is fan-freaking tastic!

just amazing!

Alvis pi