Fast FAC A/O-38N

Started by Librarian, July 07, 2013, 06:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Librarian

This will probably end up, if I get to the end, as a Fast FAC P-38. Seriously short of cash this month so may have to take occasional breaks (as with the A-26K....can't get the miniguns yet).

Inspiration credit to Alvis Pi :thumbsup:.

kerick

If I may suggest, move the cockpit forward to give the pilot better downward visibility. A very important feature in a FAC a/c.
For weapons load I suggest plenty of 2.75 rocket pods of similar types. The job of the FAC was to mark the target and then get out of the way so fast movers could unload on it. F-16 Fast FACs during the Golf War used 500 lb dumb bombs for marking targets. You could load up on antennas as the FACs job was to talk to everybody and coordinate the attack. Seems like everyone liked to use different radios.
Where you thinking of a Vietnam like situation or something more modern?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Librarian

Quote from: kerick on July 07, 2013, 07:34:48 AM
If I may suggest, move the cockpit forward to give the pilot better downward visibility. A very important feature in a FAC a/c.
For weapons load I suggest plenty of 2.75 rocket pods of similar types. The job of the FAC was to mark the target and then get out of the way so fast movers could unload on it. F-16 Fast FACs during the Golf War used 500 lb dumb bombs for marking targets. You could load up on antennas as the FACs job was to talk to everybody and coordinate the attack. Seems like everyone liked to use different radios.
Where you thinking of a Vietnam like situation or something more modern?

Lots of useful info. Vietnam definitely. I was thinking of getting the droopsnoot nose for this one....it's completely transparent. With a bit of sanding and polishing the panels could be enlarged. Getting hold of those seven-shot smoke marker pods is a real poser (expensive either way). I certainly want to go with the grey/white scheme.

kerick

I was in the ground FAC business quite a while ago. The training was like having your own personal airshow. 
Hasegawa has/had the weapons kits that had the rocket pods. Looks like you are doing it in 1/48th. I have the 1/72nd ones and I imagine the 1/48th is more expensive. Maybe someone could help out on the swap thread.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Tophe

Interesting project :thumbsup: Thanks :cheers:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Librarian

Proper update tomorrow. Kudos to anyone who's put this horrible kit together whilst striving for realism (Academy 1/48). Is it this particular boxing or do none of the parts fit properly. Its all going Basrah ( a little too like Mongrel's Nelson?).

Librarian

Progress is being made. Cowlings I think from a Dornier, wings from a Spiteful, the rest I don't know.

I really wanted to go with a transparent nose but this SOB is a major tailsitter and I need to pack some lead in the front (bit like the real thing). Anyway, this is a fast FAC and I never saw an F-4 with a transparent nose :thumbsup:. Think I'll stick a minigun where the 20mm used to go...A-37s had 'em; get rid of the .50s.

deathjester

Did you take a look at the Miniguns on eBay??  They look real nice, as does your FAC bird!

Librarian

Sorree! Yes, meant to say thanks. I am going to put in an order for two sets as my nextish project after the B-25 will be a gunship...found the perfect candidate for my little war :wacko:. One barrel(s) can go on the AO-38.

deathjester

Excellent!!  Glad to help - that'll look awesome!  :bow: :bow: :thumbsup:

Librarian

Thanks for the heads-up; yes, seen them before but they look way too fiddly for my nicotine ravaged fingers. Can't deal with etch unless abso. necessary. Ordered the minigun barrels, they just look way too good. Might go to Duxford  :tornado: on Sat. and have a good rummage in a few bargain bins...never know! I think its going to be too hot, though :mellow:.

p.s. anyone after some resin 20mm vulcan barrels, Wolfpack do a nice set of two gunpods for F-4s :thumbsup:.

Librarian

Had to crack off the port wing, more sanding, refilling, put it back, more sanding and finally painted the white panel....seen a scheme on a OA-2 that looks real nice.

Army of One

This looks awesome.....!!!
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!