VV's Biggles aircraft collection

Started by VickersVandal, July 19, 2013, 05:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Neat selection of builds on your site.

I was drawn to the Nieuport 11 "Bebe" in Ukrainian markings ... from their first attempt to separate from Russia, during the revolutionary period.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rick Lowe

VickersVandal

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 25, 2022, 04:01:26 AM
Neat selection of builds on your site.

I was drawn to the Nieuport 11 "Bebe" in Ukrainian markings ... from their first attempt to separate from Russia, during the revolutionary period.

Ta. Yes, when I saw the decal option there was no chance of any other scheme   :mellow:

Quote from: Rick Lowe on March 28, 2022, 09:37:54 PM
Nice stuff there, VV  :thumbsup:

Cheers, boss.
Biggles modelling loony.

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae

VickersVandal

Mathematics.

A young, bookish-looking RFC officer sat on an empty oil drum in the corner of the aerodrome of 266 Squadron, of Maranique, France. He stared pensively into the middle distance for some time and then turned his eyes downward and began to write in a copybook open in his lap. The young man's name was Henry Watkins, recently joined the squadron, but he had quickly earned the nickname "The Professor" for his tendency to take a highly analytical and mathematics-based approach to all things and, in particular, air combat.
"Deuced air resistance," he muttered to himself, "why can't it be constant? It's bad enough not being able to assume ideal conditions let alone having a war on". He continued to mutter and intermittently make notes in the copybook when he was interrupted in his ruminations by the approach of his flight commander, Captain James Bigglesworth, better known as Biggles.

"What ho, professor? I would ask you what new mad scheme you're brewing up in your copybook but I dread to hear the answer."
"As a matter of fact, it's projectile motion related to the release of bombs from a moving Sopwith Camel where if you consider the X and Y motion independently as Galileo did, then you can....."
"Hold hard!" cried Biggles. "I hadn't actually asked! I don't think I can manage with all that X-Y-Z stuff again."
"You're right," sighed Henry resignedly, "it's not bald-headed enough for the likes of you."
"That's how you get huns, my lad. I thought you had learned that by now", grinned Biggles. "Anyway, I've some news for you and you may or may not like it. I'm not sure I'm particularly happy about it, if I'm honest", he added lugubriously.
Henry, curious, frowned slightly. "What is it then?"
"Colonel Raymond has just been by. It seems that after your escapade with that bridge, Wing have got a rush of blood to the brain and they've asked us to go after another one of some strategic importance. The DH.9s they sent over on high level bomb runs haven't made a dent. They believe a single seat scout doing a low level run might stand a better chance. They seem to think we've become bridge fanatics or something. Not for me, though. I prefer a proper dogfight with some Fokkers up where the air is clear than footling around near the carpet playing some fool game of boules with Cooper bombs."
"That sounds jolly good", replied Henry, genuinely pleased. "I've been rather wanting to try to refine my bombing runs which is why I've been trying to tackle these projectile problems. Mathematics, always a matter of mathematics. Here, take a look!" He held out his open copybook in his flight commander's face.
Biggles' recoiled. "You keep that thing away from me! I don't want to catch what you've got."
"You are a lost cause", muttered Henry, lowering his book. "My intellect is wasted here, you know."
"Now listen here, laddie" said Biggles, becoming serious. "None of your hair-brained antics on this one, is that clear? You will attack the bridge from above and you will keep your wings on. We can't afford to be throwing away perfectly good Camels in the service of your mad schemes." In saying this, Biggles was referring to Henry's previous attempt to bomb a bridge from beneath which, while succesful in causing the destruction of the bridge, also resulted in the destruction of Henry's aircraft through removal of its wings by the bridge supports. Henry had only just managed to survive the experience and evade capture.
Henry coloured. "Yes, no fear on that account. I've no desire to repeat that. Can I ask for a concession, however? I would like to continue using a single large 50 pound bomb than the four small Coopers."
Biggles considered for a moment. "Yes, I suppose you may....provided that you can deliver it safely. It was certainly effective last time."
"I'm all for it then" replied Henry brightly.
"Very well. Let's find Algy and take a dekko. We can check the approaches and the archie before we hit it properly. It's not too far over the lines. Seems the huns need it for bringing up reserved troops and they recently reinforced it so it may be a tough nut to crack."
Henry grinned. "Then let me fetch my nut cracker!"

The three pilots gathered by the C flight sheds and Biggles briefed them. "We'll head over at 10 thousand, overshoot the bridge and then turn and dive on it towards our own lines. We'll need to drop down rather sharpish as they're likely to lay it on thick with the archie. We'll do a swoop and look for the best line to see where we can hit the span or supports. We won't have long so keep your wits about you. Algy, you keep an eye out for huns while Henry and I scan the bridge. We'll do two low level passes then hedge hop for home. I don't feel like taking my chances climbing for height as it will make us vulnerable. We're likely to come under a lot of small arms fire but it's a relatively short dash for the lines and it's nothing we haven't put up with before on trench strafing runs. In fact, while you're at it you might want to sow some lead into the trenches on your way through. All clear?" Henry and Algy both nodded.
"Right then. Let's get airborne."

Biggles modelling loony.

VickersVandal

A short time later the three Sopwith Camels of C flight were in the air and heading for the lines on a course that would take them over the bridge that formed their objective. They crossed the lines and were briefly harassed by archie in the usual fashion. It was in German territory that the real danger lay. In his cockpit, Henry scanned the sky continuously for enemy scouts, an act that became second nature for any pilot after even a short time in France. He knew that his flight commander would be doing the same and he kept an eye out for the tell-tale rocking of the wings that would signal that an enemy patrol had been spotted. They remained unmolested as they neared their target, which was something of a surprise. Henry saw Biggles' Camel tilt forward and start to dive for the bridge and he followed, still keeping an eye out for German aircraft. As they descended a furious bombardment of archie began, as the German gunners made every effort to defend the bridge they were tasked with defending. Henry flinched as shrapnel whirred past his head, taking the small propeller off the Rotherham air pump on the cabane strut. "By the ghost of Copernicus, that was a bit close!" he cried out. He looked over at the pump with concern, knowing that without the pressurisation of his fuel tank that it provided, he may have problems with fuel delivery should he need to put the Camel through any hard maneuvers. He eyed the pump with a worried frown and listened for any change in the note of his Bentley rotary that might signal a fuel feed problem. "Dash it all, I hope Biggles gets us out of this thunderstorm soon."

Realising they were levelling out over the bridge now and able to view it clearly, Henry turned his attention to it and looked with interest. While he was not a structural engineer, he could tell by looking at it that the Germans had gone to some lengths to ensure it was sturdy and difficult to bring down. Many bomb craters surrounded the area but the bridge remained intact, evidence that the bombing efforts of the DH.9s had been ineffective. As they turned to begin their second pass the archie died away and at the same time he heard the chatter of Algy's guns, firing in warning. Henry frantically scanned the sky and spotted 6 straight winged machines dropping down on them like a birds of prey on a family of hares. Henry saw Biggles turn and bring the nose up to face the new menace and he followed suit, still keeping formation. Flame spurted from the twin Spandau's on the lead machine and Henry heard bullets tearing through the fabric. In a flash they were past and turning to come around for a second attack. It was immediately apparent that the other aircraft in the patrol were not being piloted well, as each scattered haphazardly. Henry also noticed that they were of a type unfamiliar to him. That they were from the Fokker factory was clear, having a rotary engine and unmistakable fuselage and tail design in common with the triplane. However, these were of biplane construction. A Fokker triplane with only two wings was outside of Henry's experience.

Henry noticed that the leader flew a bright yellow machine with black and white stripe while the other five aircraft had the standard German multicoloured lozenge, though each having the same black stripe as the leader. All this went through Henry's mind in the few moments it took him to bring his aircraft around as all 9 machines entered a whirling melee. Very quickly two of the enemy aircraft collided and fell in a tangle of wings. "Four to three now, that certainly evens things up!" he thought to himself.

Biggles modelling loony.

VickersVandal

As he turned to follow one of the enemy aircraft he saw Biggles' tracer pour into another, which went down in a sheet of flame. The yellow machine seemed to have fastened itself to Algy's tail and followed tenaciously despite Algy's best efforts to throw it off. Henry let off a burst of tracer at another aircraft as it passed in front of him. Seemingly rattled, the pilot turned clumsily and made full out in a direction away from the lines. Henry saw the other two Germans doing the same and their leader break off from pursuing Algy and turn to follow his own pilots. Henry looked over at Biggles machine to see his flight leader twirling a hand above his head then jabbing toward the lines. Henry needed no second invitation and made flat out in the direction of British territory with the other two members of his flight, hedge-hopping to an accompaniment of ground fire and emptying his guns into the trenches on the way over in keeping with Biggles' instructions.

Back at Maranique, Henry taxied up to the tarmac and switched off. The other two machines were already there and the pilots waiting for him. "That was a little warmer than I would like", called Henry as he walked over to join the other two.
"We've been in much worse scrapes before, replied Algy, "but my word that yellow chap could fly! I felt a mite uncomfortable I don't mind saying. What were those kites anyway? Fokkers by the look of them."
"I'll wager a steak dinner to a pot of jam they came from the Fokker works" agreed Biggles.
"Trouble with some Fokkers, Bigglesworth?" asked Major Mullen the squadron C.O., who had approached unnoticed. As one the three pilots stiffened to attention and saluted. "At ease, gentlemen."
"Sir, yes, a spot of bother with some Fokkers. We ran into them over the bridge that Wing asked us to have a crack at. A type I've never seen before. Biplanes, but not D.VIIs. Rotary engined. In fact, they looked rather like a triplane had met a D.VII coming the other way."
"They weren't D-fives, I can tell you that for a fact. I've seen them up close." chimed in Algy.
Biggles laughed while Henry looked on quizically. Biggles explained: "On Algy's first flight over the lines he tried to join a formation of D-fives from Von Kirtner's circus."
"Yes, only they objected so I had to push one of them into the floor" rejoined Algy grinning broadly.

"If you've quite finished reminiscing, gentlemen?" interrupted the major. "The D.V is long obsolete so they would hardly keep them over the front. I would say they are the new D.VI the Germans have introduced, though they are a rare bird from what I hear. I understand most of the effort has gone into producing the D.VII. However, from what little I know of them I believe they can be quite maneuverable so take care around them."
"Not with the pilots they had flying them, sir" said Biggles. "The flight leader was clearly an old hand but the rest looked terribly inexperienced. They bolted like rabbits at the first sign of gunfire. I imagine they will be getting a dressing down as we speak."
Major Mullen thought for a moment. "That's not entirely surprising to hear. The Germans are starting to run short of men and equipment and their practice of moving all the aces into circuses has left the regular squadrons devoid of experienced pilots to train up the newer ones. I fear that the practice is coming back to bite them. It certainly works in our favour though. Anyway, how did you get on with the bridge?"
Biggles expression became serious. "It won't be easy. The bridge is sturdy, the Germans have made sure of that. There is also a solid wall of archie to fly through not to mention it looks like they keep a patrol over it to chase anyone off. Even if the pilots are inexperienced it will make for a trying time."
"Mathematics", Henry interjected. "As with all things, it's a matter of mathematics."
Biggles passed a hand over his face while Algy shook his head sadly. The major looked sharply at Henry and asked "And what exactly do you mean by that, Watkins?"
Henry paled slightly. "I mean, sir" he stammered, "with the right charge dropped at the right point it's possible to bring that bridge down. I have been doing some calculations lately...."
"Oh don't let him start on that, sir, please!" cried Biggles aghast. "Just leave it with us and we'll put an end to that bridge for you. Mathematically or otherwise."
"I shall rely on you then, Bigglesworth", returned the major. "Just don't take any unnecessary risks. I've no desire to lose good pilots over this, no matter how much Wing wants that bridge gone. I very nearly lost one on the last bridge" he added, looking pointedly at Henry, whose cheeks reddened. Biggles and Algy suppressed smiles as the major turned on his heel and walked back to the flight office.
"Well, you heard the C.O. you fellows. We'll have a crack at it tomorrow. But Henry, remember: over it not under it and bring your kite back with all its wings this time. Now, let's see what we can find in the mess." Turning to the sheds he called "Smyth! These machines need attention. We shall need them in the morning. This one needs a new air pump by the looks of it. Also, I believe Watkins here wishes to have an unorthodox bomb mounting again."
"Very good sir" Smyth replied, saluting. The pilots turned and made their way to the mess.

Biggles modelling loony.

VickersVandal

Early the next morning the three Camels were in the air, once again heading for the bridge. Henry had stayed up much of the night calculating the height and speed needed to successfully land his bomb at the exact point on the span where it would bring the structure down. He had researched the span length of the bridge so he could use it to judge his release point. The ack-emmas had affixed the single 50-lb high explosive bomb via a modified bomb rack. While it weighed less than the usual set of four Cooper bombs, the drag and weight distribution of the 50-pounder caused some unusual flying dynamics for the Camel. Henry, knowing the laws of motion described by the great Sir Isaac Newton, was also acutely aware that releasing the bomb may result in some bucking of the machine as it was suddenly relieved of its load. "F equals delta m times a" he muttered, referring to the famous equation linking force, mass and acceleration, "and that's a large and sudden delta m. It won't do to chuck the kite around too much either. Well, we shall see."

Repeating the course taken the day before, the three aircraft over-flew the bridge and began to turn to make their diving run. Before they could do so, the sudden cessation of archie warned them of the approach of enemy aircraft. Although Biggles had taken care to scan the sky continuously for hostile machines, it seemed that the enemy flight commander was experienced enough to have managed to keep his patrol hidden in the sun. Henry looked up to see eight machines tearing down from a superior height. He squinted and let out a small gasp. "It's the Fokkers again, but now there's eight of them. They'll be looking to get even I'll warrant." He picked out the yellow machine at their head. He saw Biggles and Algy release their bombs so as to be able to maneuver more freely, for to make an attempt on a bomb run now would be suicidal. For Henry, however, the decision to unload his cargo was not so simple. "Dash it all, I've come this far! Hanged if I'm going to let all that effort go to waste. I stayed up half the night doing those calculations you blasted huns!"

So saying, he dragged his aircraft around and began to line up for his dive on the bridge, leaving the other two pilots to handle the Boche scouts. "Those huns will probably knock each other out of the sky anyway" he thought to himself, in a half-hearted attempt to justify his decision to leave the flight. He began a wire screaming dive toward the bridge but as he did so, he looked over his shoulder to see the yellow Fokker diving to follow him. Henry went pale as death, knowing that Biggles and Algy would have their hands full with the other seven machines and be unable to intervene. "All right, you rotter, I've a trick or two to show you!" So saying, Henry steepened his dive. One thing he hoped to rely on was that German machines were often known to shed their wings in a steep dive. Turning around to look again he saw to his horror that the yellow Fokker was matching his dive effortlessly. It seemed the construction of this new type was more robust than the typical German machines. There was one advantage to it; in following Henry down the German pilot had at least ensured that the sky was empty of Archie.

The rattle of guns caused Henry to begin to weave to make a difficult target, as rounds from the German's guns began to bore into his machine. Henry held his dive to within a hundred feet of the ground, levelling out with the Camel groaning in protest. The yellow machine seemed to have a little more difficulty levelling out, giving Henry brief respite, but soon the other aircraft began to return to its position on his tail. Henry knew he had one last chance. Lining up for the bridge he flew straight and level, but at an airspeed in excess of what his calculations allowed for. Frantically he did mental arithmetic to apply a correction factor to compensate with a different release point. Henry held the bomb release, expecting at any moment to feel bullets boring into his back. He heard the rattle of guns again and felt the Camel quiver as the bullets bore into the framework. "Steady....not yet" he said softly, fixing his eyes on the bridge span ahead. Again the rattle of guns and the thud of bullets. Henry felt one graze a rib but so focused was he that he barely felt the pain. "Now!" he cried, pulling the bomb release.

Three things happened, almost simultaneously. The 50-lb bomb soared in a parabola that would have made Galileo weep with joy and disappeared in a sheet of flame and dust. As a result of being released of its load, the Camel soared upwards as though hit by an almighty updraft. This sudden change meant that the burst of bullets intended for the Camel and its pilot passed harmlessly underneath. The German pilot had not been expecting the sudden climb and was momentarily perplexed as the Camel disappeared from in front of him, so intent had he been on lining up his gun sight. Henry, having fully expected what happened, mouthed a quick thankyou to the late Sir Isaac Newton before executing an Immelmann turn that brought him sweeping down on the tail of his opponent. "Take that, you rotter!" he shouted, pressing his finger on the bowden lever of his twin Vickers. The range was short and Henry's aim was true. He saw splinters fly out as the propeller of the Boche aircraft disintegrated and smoke start to pour from the engine. The pilot appeared unhurt and looked around for somewhere to put the aircraft down. Henry saw the machine aim for the only piece of clear ground but it was not large enough to land an aeroplane. The Fokker clipped a tree and cartwheeled, coming to a stop in a tangled mess of wood, wire and yellow canvas. Henry breathed a long sigh of relief after the anxiety of the last few moments.

Turning to rejoin the other members of his flight, he saw them descending to meet him. In the distance he could see four remaining Fokkers diving for home. He reasoned that Biggles and Algy must have shot down the other three. Henry turned to assess the damage caused by his bomb, followed by a storm of archie and small arms fire that had resumed now that the German aircraft had been shot down or driven off. Making a quick pass over the bridge he was delighted to see that for a quarter of its length it had collapsed into the river. "Well, Wing will be pleased at any rate" he thought to himself. Turning again, he made for the lines, forming up with Biggles and Algy and once again strafing the German support trenches on the way to the lines.

On the tarmac at Marinique, Henry climbed stiffly from his cockpit. The pain from his wounded ribs becoming more acute now. Biggles was waiting to greet him.
"What were you doing diving down like that, you dashed fool? If you wanted to make yourself easy meat for that hun you couldn't have done a better job."
"Ah, but I knew something he didn't know" rejoined Henry.
"And what was that?"
"Newton's second law. You see, when the force of lift is applied to a changing mass, there must be an acceleration proportional to..."
"Oh what rot!" laughed Biggles. "Anyway, you didn't come away completely unscathed" he said, looking at Henry's bleeding side with concern. "You need to get that seen to. In the meantime I shall report to Major Mullen the successful destruction of one bridge and the loss to the enemy of four Fokker D.Vs, one yellow. That was jolly good shooting."
"Thank you, sir. Don't forget to tell him what really brought that hun down though", said Henry.
"And what might that be?" asked Biggles curiously.
"Mathematics" grinned Henry.

Biggles modelling loony.

VickersVandal

Biggles modelling loony.

Rick Lowe

Jolly Good, cracking read. Tally Ho!

And the models - yes I did see them, though I had to go back a second time to have a better look, having focused on the story the first time through - are looking Top Hole, as well.  :thumbsup:

VickersVandal

Biggles modelling loony.

Scotaidh

Great read and great models!  I'm jealous, really - I always was a Biggles fan, but I can't do biplanes - the rigging does me in every time.  :( 

I well remember the Professor - his first trip out with Cooper bombs when he got lost in clouds and bombed an RAF aerodrome; and his scheme to blow up a bridge from below it - then his last minute discovery that the wing-span of his Camel was greater than the space between the bridge supports!   :D  :D  :D

I didn't know about the air pump until I read your story - and I don't see any on your models.  Is it too small to be kitted and/or shown?
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Wardukw

God that looks like a good read and when ive got more time im gonna read it..fixing a neighbors car at the mo.
The models look surpurb as usual Vickers and no i haven't forgotten my Spad ..just building up the courage to build it  :lol:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Cracking read accompanied by some cracking models, well done sir  :bow: :bow:

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

A long time since I've read any Biggles; that took me wa-ay back! Good story! Good builds! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

VickersVandal

Thanks gang.

Quote from: Scotaidh on April 24, 2022, 01:03:19 AM
I didn't know about the air pump until I read your story - and I don't see any on your models.  Is it too small to be kitted and/or shown?

Ha! Glad you picked up on that detail. It's on the other Camels I built but hard to see in the photos. However Henry's was built from a 2F.1 kit which had round centre section struts. I made new aerofoil struts but forgot to scratchbuild a Rotherham....so I snuck it into the story  ;D ;D

Henry is a great character and much under utilised so I'm keen to churn out a few more fanfics based on him.
Biggles modelling loony.