VV's Biggles aircraft collection

Started by VickersVandal, July 19, 2013, 05:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotaidh

I used to read Biggles books when I was young ... you've re-kindled my interest.  Thanks!
I have begun buying the books.   From Amazon, so they're all new paperbacks, but still better than nothing.  :)

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

VickersVandal

Thanks, all   :lol:

Glad to hear I've reignited the interest in Biggles books, Scot!
Biggles modelling loony.

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae

zenrat

Quote from: Scotaidh on April 30, 2018, 02:10:36 PM
I used to read Biggles books when I was young ... you've re-kindled my interest.  Thanks!
I have begun buying the books.   From Amazon, so they're all new paperbacks, but still better than nothing.  :)

Are they edited for drinking and smoking or have they reinstated the original text?
Mine are a mix of old hardbacks full of pink gin and cigarettes and newer paperbacks with pink lemonade.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

VickersVandal

Dean & Son editions are the ones that were sanitized and had interwar aircraft replaced with 1950s aircraft. The new Red Fox paperbacks are true to the original text. Unfortunately they haven't printed that many titles yet.
Biggles modelling loony.

TheChronicOne

Nice Beaufighter! Nice Hurricane!! Good stuff here.... I've also managed to wander around back and forth this thread and also to your pictures site. Now all of a sudden I'm wanting to start look for some Biggles. I never even heard of it, to be honest. Seems pretty cool, sure has inspired you to make a lot of neat aircraft!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

Runway ? ...

Quote from: VickersVandal on October 09, 2016, 04:40:53 AM
Oh go on....you know you wanna...  :wacko: :wacko:

I thought I'd post this up - the latest update of the Biggles shelves. The bookshelf runs two deep, hence why it is sagging alarmingly  :o (I really do need to do something about that!)

Top shelf is for WW1 and WW2
Second top is for interwar
Next is for postwar (i.e. Special Air Police)
Bottom shelf is non-Biggles - some 1930s CNAC aircraft, other randoms and models my kids have made

Have you considered adding a Jet Ranger to the top shelf

or is the movie not cannon.

zenrat

The movie is terrible.

Quote from: VickersVandal on May 02, 2018, 06:06:51 AM
Dean & Son editions are the ones that were sanitized and had interwar aircraft replaced with 1950s aircraft. The new Red Fox paperbacks are true to the original text. Unfortunately they haven't printed that many titles yet.

Good to hear.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

VickersVandal

Quote from: Runway ? ... on May 02, 2018, 11:09:22 AM

We Do Not Speak Of That Movie...... :-X ;) ;D
Biggles modelling loony.

VickersVandal

Quote from: TheChronicOne on May 02, 2018, 09:02:01 AM
Nice Beaufighter! Nice Hurricane!! Good stuff here.... I've also managed to wander around back and forth this thread and also to your pictures site. Now all of a sudden I'm wanting to start look for some Biggles. I never even heard of it, to be honest. Seems pretty cool, sure has inspired you to make a lot of neat aircraft!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

Good to hear I've sparked an interest  ;D. The stories are great escapism, though make sure to go for the earlier titles rather than the later. 100 books were written and if I'm honest, the series got pretty tired toward the end....

This website gives them in sequence: http://www.biggles.info/
Biggles modelling loony.

nighthunter

Quote from: VickersVandal on May 09, 2018, 01:41:33 PM
Quote from: Runway ? ... on May 02, 2018, 11:09:22 AM

We Do Not Speak Of That Movie...... :-X ;) ;D
So, it's like the Second Scottish Play?
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

zenrat

No.  People still go and watch McBeth.  No one should watch that movie.  In fact all evidence it ever existed should be erased from history.

What movie?
Nothing to see here, move on.
:-X
Fred

VickersVandal

Quote from: zenrat on May 11, 2018, 05:31:49 PM
No.  People still go and watch McBeth.  No one should watch that movie.  In fact all evidence it ever existed should be erased from history.

Absolutely, old boy, absolutely! As Bertie would bally well say.

Now, if you'll excuse me, Biggles needs his Typhoon built....
Biggles modelling loony.

zenrat

Biggles in the Orient again
I read that after you posted your Beaufighter.
My copy is a second edition from 1948.  It's in fairly rough condition but the binding is still holding together which is pretty good going given its age.

I've been thinking about which is my favourite.  Possibly Biggles and the Black Peril although I do like the Cruise of the Condor.
Fred

nighthunter

So, in the States, Highlander movie and series fans call Highlander 2, "The Second Scottish Play", lol.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Scotaidh

Quote from: zenrat on May 11, 2018, 05:31:49 PM

What movie?
Nothing to see here, move on.
:-X

Seriously, to what movie are you referring?
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."