VV's Biggles aircraft collection

Started by VickersVandal, July 19, 2013, 05:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Maybe a newbie training dog fight with some poor luckless German pilot being the rabbit..or the other way round   :lol:
Man ive gotta start taking  serious look at my Spad ..your builds are giving me the bug dude  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

VickersVandal

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 06, 2022, 08:26:10 PM
Maybe a newbie training dog fight with some poor luckless German pilot being the rabbit..or the other way round   :lol:

There is a rather disturbing moment in one of the stories where Biggles and Algy together  shoot down a Pfalz and he says
"Pah! That was too much like murder for my liking. The Huns must be putting babies into some of their kites!"
I wonder whether that reflects the closing stages of the war where the Germans were beginning to get more desperate for men and equipment.

QuoteMan ive gotta start taking  serious look at my Spad ..your builds are giving me the bug dude  ;D

Eeeexcellent. Do not resist....  :wacko: ;D
Biggles modelling loony.

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae

NARSES2

Quote from: VickersVandal on March 06, 2022, 11:03:15 PM

There is a rather disturbing moment in one of the stories where Biggles and Algy together  shoot down a Pfalz and he says
"Pah! That was too much like murder for my liking. The Huns must be putting babies into some of their kites!"
I wonder whether that reflects the closing stages of the war where the Germans were beginning to get more desperate for men and equipment.

I've vague memories of reading that back in the day. Always found the WWI stories so much more "serious" and enjoyable because of that.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Thats the facts ..same in both wars..when the top pilots are gone anyone who can fly gets to have a go and normally with disastrous results for the under experienced.
We know that pilots in WW1 had very short lifespans can ya imagine some more sap with like an hr of flight time going in to combat for the first time or with even less time than that.
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

If Biggles was being honest with himself, he'd know that the Germans were sending up what amounted to children in their aircraft because, by then, so were the British!

It was a similar tale for the RAF during the Battle of Britain, too; a lot of very young pilots by the end of it.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 07, 2022, 10:38:40 AM
Thats the facts ..same in both wars..when the top pilots are gone anyone who can fly gets to have a go and normally with disastrous results for the under experienced.
We know that pilots in WW1 had very short lifespans can ya imagine some more sap with like an hr of flight time going in to combat for the first time or with even less time than that.

Not for nothing were they called The Twenty Minuters...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Wardukw

Bingo Fred..couldnt remember that but yup thats it..the twenty minuters..bugger that but they did it..damn shame so many only got to do it once.

VickersVandal

I read the story with the D.V ("The Boob") to the young lad last night. He loved it. Algy acts like a total madman and the dialogue between him and Biggles is hilarious. This is definitely the best possible outcome for my model building activities   <_< <_< <_<
Biggles modelling loony.

Wardukw

Good is good ..bad is not good..we like good ..its bloody strange but its the same the world over Vickers  ;D
Its like this 35th scale Huey im vuilding at the mo..it needed weapons mounted but they had to be mounted in such a way that it looks like the dudes who did it didnt have all the military issued stuff..had to come up with their own ideas..took me 4 days to figure out how to..yesterday afternoon..bingo bango..weapons mounted and it looks home built ..brilliant  ;D
Same as you mate..happy with my modelling again..should post pics tomorrow of it so far  :thumbsup:

VickersVandal

In The Zone Call, Biggles attacks a Pfalz which, rather than return fire heads for the ground and lands near 266 Squadron. Biggles lands with it and accosts the pilot.

"What's the matter with you? Haven't you got any guns?" sneered the British pilot.

"Nein. No guns," said the German quickly.

"Great Scott! You people running short of weapons or something? We'd better lend you some."

;D

It turns out the German is just a delivery pilot taking the unarmed aircraft to a Jasta and has become lost in fog, ending up over the wrong side of the lines.

It is described as being vivid scarlet with white stripes behind the cockpit. I used a Pfalz D.III rather than IIIa because the chronology makes more sense if this is in the period of 1917 before the Pfalz was upgraded. 

Biggles modelling loony.

NARSES2

Oh, now that has come out nicely  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Ssme as Narses said...very nicely  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

VickersVandal

The productivity streak continues. I have finished the three Camels of Biggles, Algy and Henry "The Professor" Watkins of C FLight, 266 Sqn RFC.
I started these 9 years ago so nobody can accuse me of rushing things....  ;D :o

Biggles has the coloured wheel covers to indicate flight leader status (thanks dadlamassu for discovering that!). Biggles and Henry's (J7743) serial numbers are from the stories but I had to make one up for Algy. I went with a very plain squadron ID marking (wide white stripe) as I feel it is implied in the stories there was nothing fancy in that regard.

Detail of Biggles' Camel:

Biggles modelling loony.