Saunders Roe Storm Petrel HMS Eagle 1966

Started by NARSES2, July 22, 2013, 07:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Well what a year 1966 turned out to be. England won the World Cup and the FAA's first mixed powered interceptor finally entered full FAA service.

When the RAF version was cancelled in 1957 as part of the infamous "Sandy's Review" the FAA managed to just about keep their own version of the SR 177 alive albeit at a slow pace. Eventually the aircraft by now named Storm Petrel (that's not what the pilots or ground crew called it  :wacko:) entered service in limited numbers for the interception duty aboard HM's Aircraft Carriers.

This is one of the first aircraft to equip 899 Squadron FAA aboard HMS Eagle just in time for her Mediterranean cruise in the summer of 1967. 899 Sqd were lucky in that all of their aircraft were of the so called phase 2 batch. This batch had a canopy with much reduced framing at the behest of the original squadrons pilots who had threatened to either mutiny or have a tripling of their rum ration if they were expected to land the initially heavily framed brute on a bucking carrier.

Whilst initially disliked by all involved the Storm Petrell's aircrew and ground crew soon became incredibly defensive of their charges and indeed after a couple of years to iron out the inevitable kinks and sort out the correct operational procedures the aircraft gave a good account of it'self in FAA service. Latter versions were even know to tote the odd bomb or recce pack although no one is 100% sure where they were toted to, given the relatively short range of the beast.

Anyway this is the Freightdog kit which I started a couple of years ago when it first came out. As I said in my blog for various reasons I screwed her up. I resurrected her the other week and thought I'd finish it at least. Well I enjoyed it. It is a really nice kit, the screw up was purely me - I got into a cocky phase in my modeling. Been well and truly knocked out of that now. I liked the kit and I like the finished product  :thumbsup: I've another in the stash and I'll build this one with a little more care.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

lancer

That is one seriously beautiful bird Chris.. Nicely done.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Gondor

That reminds me I must get around to finish the SR 177 that I have.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

pyro-manic

Nicely done. :thumbsup: Though I think it's one of the ugliest aircraft ever designed!
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Hobbes

Well done Chris, and I agree with the canopy mod, big improvement in visibility.

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

The clearer vision canopy makes a huge difference to the 177 Chris, great idea.  :thumbsup: :bow:

How about taking out even MORE framing for the RAF one? Just the main windscreen frame and a 100% clear vision opening canopy would be the business to my mind.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

buzzbomb

Almost anything in that colour scheme works.

Nice job all around

rickshaw

Very nice, Chris.  Mmm, I must get around to building the one I have...   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

sandiego89

Looks great in that color, and realy nice work on the the canopy!  Would like a photo showing the belly, wheels and a tail shot showing the exaust if you get a chance. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kitnut617

I like that Chris, I will have to get the one I have built ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 23, 2013, 06:27:05 AM
I like that Chris, I will have to get the one I have built ---

+1, might get around to mine, one day!  Nice job Chris, good to see a Navy one, most I've seen done are the land based version.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 22, 2013, 01:34:31 PM
The clearer vision canopy makes a huge difference to the 177 Chris, great idea.  :thumbsup: :bow:

How about taking out even MORE framing for the RAF one? Just the main windscreen frame and a 100% clear vision opening canopy would be the business to my mind.

I was thinking in terms of something like that Kit. I've a load of spare vac form canopies in the stash so I'll have a look for something a little more modern
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.