Main Menu

The Beast

Started by Wardukw, July 23, 2013, 04:08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on July 25, 2013, 05:11:21 AM
Now there is one problem and its a biggie ... the guns ... having a nightmare trying to find the measurements ,like the thickness of the barrel ,,the measurements which the taper along the barrel starts so i can have them machined ,,without those its not much of a model  :lol:

Phill  :cheers:  

Here's a load of data on the 28cm C/28, the gun in question: http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNGER_11-52_skc28.htm

There is a two-gun version of that Ratte kit too: http://www.hlj.com/product/MTU-SPL/

;D
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Wardukw

Cheers for that mate ,, that will come in handy for when the time comes to build this mother but while sitting this morning in the thinking room an idea came to me .
Now if ya know about the Ratte then i wouldnt be surprised that you know of 80cm Dora railgun and the plans they had for this gun ..this one in fact .

While Dora wasn't the only railgun of course ,,the most common were the 28cm K5 guns and they had plans for this too ,,this one

Now here is where the thinking came in ..i have a rather knackered Trumpeter K5 Leopold rail gun and there is no way i am going to build something as huge as the SPG Dora but what about a SPG K5 ? ,,along the same lines as SPG Dora but smaller  ;D
I will need to get two Maus tanks tho . :-\

Phill  :cheers:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Well, there goes the New Zealand defence budget! ;D

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 26, 2013, 03:25:01 AM
Well, there goes the New Zealand defence budget! ;D

:cheers:

Guy

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: Guy ... us with a defense budgut ???? Where ???
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Army of One

Just seen this......what an amazing build....spectacular.... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Wardukw

This is for me mate Dogfighter to find..this model is ancient history now.

DogfighterZen

Wow..  :o  WTF... That is... Wow... i've always liked ancient history and this chapter suits me just fine... :wub:
I'm not an armour modeller but that thing... i love it!! So many guns!!  :mellow:
If i ever get into building tanks and things alike, this will surely be a huge inspiration! :bow: :bow: :bow:
Funny detail, you called it "The Beast", exactly what i called the Blue Thunder on the finished model thread. ;D
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Wardukw

:lol: :lol: Great minds and all that Zen  ;D
Dont know if ill ever build something that expensive again..im already building the heli carrier and thats bigger but cheap to build..theres over $200NZ in plastic alone in the beast..a large amount of 2mm sheet and that was like $14nz for 2 sheets.
Was a fun build and like normal things changed during the built but theres things id still like to change.

DogfighterZen

I didn't think of the cost but yes, i can imagine that this type of models cost a small fortune... and the bit about changing stuff on a finished model, i guess that we will always think of stuff we could have done differently but on models like The Beast, seems like it's easier to happen as you're not following any rules so, lots of space to let the imagination run wild. :mellow: :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Wardukw

Oh the scope for change on this ting is damn near endless..theres a heap of mods id do to the turret and gun mounts ..changing the turrets shape which ive never been happy with..the AA gun pods are ok but still can be improved ..i would round of the track units alot more to amke then more smoother...i could spend another couple of hundred hours on this thing.
Yeah the customer/mate  loved it  but... :lol:

Old Wombat

For scratch-bashed builds, you & Steve Blazo (over on Beyond the Sprues) are pretty much the bomb, Phill! :bow: :bow:

If you were to do it again, I'd suggest leaving out the driver's position, painting it overall chrome silver & saying it's from the Terminator universe, 'coz it has that aesthetic in spades! ;D ;) :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Mossie

I don't remember seeing this before, Beast is right!!!  I love the yellow, I'm thinking a sulphur rich volcanic environment like Io.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Wardukw

Coming from you Guy thats a big ups for me mate...hell dude im impressed as hell with your S tank and i love the paint work..thanks to Scotaidh i now have one too and you'll remember i mentioned about up gunning it..well i am now going to but im going a different direction..120mm remote weapons system..using the L11 120mm gun from a Challenger 3 with a auto loader  ;D
As for that drivers position ..thats what the customer wanted as it was what he wanted as he saw it in a pic..myself i would have gone for the more normal style..hatch and vision blocks.

Glad ya like it Mossie  ;D...i just looked at the pics again on my lappie without that bloody crapbucket logo and ya know to me now the paint looks like crap :lol:
My skills with weathering are much better now and i noticed theres no chipped paint or stratches and with this ment to be a ol timer it would have a heap of em..i would take the same model ..repaint it in the same colours but weather it 10 times better. &lt;_&lt;

Steel Penguin

cant believe i missed it either.
fine looking set of heavy metal there, and i must admit a very brave choice on the cammo scheme, it could have looked like a real dogs dinner, but you've carried it off well,  and if you think you could do much better now, do an opfor for it, and indulge  :thumbsup:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Wardukw

Saddly Penguin mate the model is a very long way from me now..at the bottom of the South Island in fact ...over 2000ks away i think  ;D buggered if i know for sure..but there is away to do it ..on a smaller tank...like a support tank..we use smaller machines for recon so why wouldnt these guys ..i do now happen to have a spare S tank in my pile and a Challenger 3 aswell...i think something there might work.