Now, some Spaceports...

Started by Mr Ten, July 25, 2013, 10:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Ten

Spaceports or spacebases are an unusual subject in sci-fi modeling, and rarely (if ever ? :unsure:) seen.
Thanks to Darkhonnen(1), a fellow, i can show you some interesting examples ;D.
I give them a simple name to each : the first is the Tower, the second the Platform, and the third the Bunker.

I'll post more of them next, and try to explain the building process :o.
(1) In fact, Darkhonnen is the pseudo of my current padawan... And of course, the author of these models... ;)

NARSES2

Oh they are nice and unusual  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

They're great!  :thumbsup:

I'll be interested to see the techniques, since one of the zillion projects I have in mind is a "spaceport" although very different in style to those.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

pyro-manic

Interesting stuff! They're all nicely done. :thumbsup:

Question: Are these "spaceports" as in ground-based (or moon-based, asteroid-based or whatever) landing/launch sites for spacecraft, or are they free-flying space installations? I'm thinking more the former, as they're all "flat".
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

scooter

Quote from: pyro-manic on July 29, 2013, 08:31:45 AM

Question: Are these "spaceports" as in ground-based (or moon-based, asteroid-based or whatever) landing/launch sites for spacecraft, or are they free-flying space installations? I'm thinking more the former, as they're all "flat".

The first two could be. the third looks like it could be part of a docking ring, with the bay protected by an atmospheric containment shield if they needed an airdock
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Mr Ten

Well observed  :thumbsup:

According to Darkhonnen, the first two are built on planets, and the third is probably on an asteroid.

I think he hasn't any pics from the building processes, but it can still be explained  :rolleyes:...

Today, the tower !

The main base (i mean the background of the diorama) was found on a local flea market : it was the bottom of a Fischerteknik game box. Fischerteknik was something between lego and meccano during the '70s, but was never so popular. It came from Germany and mixed plastic parts with a few metal ones.
When you take the bottom of a such big game box, turn it upside dow, you have now a fabulous vac-form white superstructure just waiting for paint and detailing !...  ;D
Other parts include : a half saucer from Perry Rhodan by Revell for the central part, medbox for asthma for the top of the tower, and many other various parts, as you can discover on the pics ;)
The grey tone reflects old and used installations on a dull planet.The scale is about 1/250.
More about the ships next... ;)