Eurofighter retro scheme

Started by darthspud, July 27, 2013, 09:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Librarian

Very nice. One of my Dad's uncles flew a Spit with this scheme and I can testify its not easy to paint properly. Well done :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

darthspud

I've got a twin seater Eurofighter, (THE REVELL ONE), so having read the last SAMI I know the intake is an issue, but a mini-mountain of filler/styrene and i'm toying with going Luftwaffe on it. Humbrol having just released their new range. Not sure my brush skills are up to a mottle finish, so may chicken out and do a matt black night fighter.
I've got an old Marks & Spencer WWII aircraft book and it has a ME110 night fighter scheme I might pinch
Thoughts?

I usually don't do WWII, mainly modern Jets, so I may be asking some bone questions, but it's a lack of depth of knowledge.
Shame really as  Woolston lad (Supermarine) I should have a proclivity to props.
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: darthspud on September 18, 2013, 11:02:39 AM
Not sure my brush skills are up to a mottle finish, so may chicken out and do a matt black night fighter.
I've got an old Marks & Spencer WWII aircraft book and it has a ME110 night fighter scheme I might pinch
Thoughts?

on the rare occasions i need to do a mottle finish those inexpensive make up brushes with a foam tip on are ideal
to do the mottles with. thin the paint down quite a bit in a cake case and apply with said brush, and it works a
treat. these brushes can be had in packs of twenty or so and are quite similiar to the brushes you get with the
tamiya weathering powders only not so expensive.
Keeper of George the Cat.

Librarian

Now that I'm going to try. I've been asked to make some Luft a/c but can't stand mottles, the look and painting. If this works half the hate ain't so bad ;D. Many thanks.

NARSES2

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on September 19, 2013, 06:11:45 AM
on the rare occasions i need to do a mottle finish those inexpensive make up brushes with a foam tip on are ideal
to do the mottles with. thin the paint down quite a bit in a cake case and apply with said brush, and it works a
treat. these brushes can be had in packs of twenty or so and are quite similiar to the brushes you get with the
tamiya weathering powders only not so expensive.

Sounds interesting Howard. Any idea of paint to thinner ratio -rough guess will do
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

darthspud

may be a path to the darkside/WWII modelling if I take to this Howard.
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

lancer

Quote from: darthspud on September 19, 2013, 11:11:03 AM
may be a path to the darkside/WWII modelling if I take to this Howard.

In this instance the darkside is a lot of fun.....
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 19, 2013, 07:16:35 AM
Sounds interesting Howard. Any idea of paint to thinner ratio -rough guess will do

i have never really thought of the paint to thinner ratio for this technique. its thicker, with more color than a
wash. you need to be able to see what the original color was. practise with a suitable RLM color or two to find a
mix and finish that you are happy with.
Keeper of George the Cat.

NARSES2

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on September 20, 2013, 02:51:59 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on September 19, 2013, 07:16:35 AM

i have never really thought of the paint to thinner ratio for this technique. its thicker, with more color than a
wash. you need to be able to see what the original color was. practise with a suitable RLM color or two to find a
mix and finish that you are happy with.

Ta  :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

Nice one ! Love the underside shot.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

darthspud

ok, so i'm all but finished on one of my three TSR's and an F/A18 single seater, so I've got room to start my Luftwaffe Eurofighter 1940.
If I do this scheme what are the greens/greys/blues I need
Humbrol range numbers please, as it's my easiest paint source to go in and buy, rather than buying online.
ta. :cheers:

darthspud

Howard,
with reference to that Natural Metal Finish F/18.
I saw a write up about an ANG Decal sheet in this months SAMI.
It's for NMF aircraft with mainly red as a secondary colour, think it was Sabres thru to F-16's

Might use that premis as a starting point,
I've got a stack of decal red lines or I may try my luck painting the areas probably around the cockpit, along the raised spine and flaring out to the twin tails and both of them red-edged/feathered and maybe red wing tips/launch rails.