Allan's Revell Flitzer

Started by Allan, July 28, 2013, 12:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

before painting and after the first coat of matt Humbrol black topside...I really thinned the paint this time and ended up with almost a cupful of the stuff so I was painting the black on for about 10 minutes and it's turned out well so maybe more and more thinning is the key to good airbrushing....antenna from a Fw-190 nightfighter and wing cannon from the old Hasegawa 109, the one with Mickey Mouse on the fus......might just leave this one in overall black cause it's simple that way, produces a quick build and looks suitably sinister..usually I'm hopeless with antenna, but this time everything seems to be straight and true
Allan in Canberra

dumaniac

Hi Allan

in the end, the best process is the one that works for you

but I'll give you the heads up for us in the cold climate country - what is the best in winter may not be the best on a summer's hot day

cheers

Bernie

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Shaping-up to be a good one, Allan.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Weaver

Looking good!  :thumbsup:

Why not go for the all-black? Any Flitzer night-fighter would be very late-war, so you could always say that they just had to paint them with whatever they could find, elaborate official RLM schemes notwithstanding.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Allan

after a uniform coat of Humbrol matt black I may annoint the whole model with some lightly sprayed WEM RAAF night black just to relieve the uniformiy of the paint job
and Bernie it's cold of a night here too so spray painting after work is just not on...only on the weekend can I use the air brush...nights are the province of sanding and maybe using some acrylic on small parts
Allan in Canberra

NARSES2

Nice work on the antenna Al  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

dumaniac

Allan

i used a mixture of red and black to create a look of faded black - the more red you add, the more dirty or faded it looks - but be aware the black really dominates the red - I think I use 2 parts of red and one of black - and ps - I use Modelmaster enamels so it may be different for acrylics or other brands

thin the paint a lot (probably one paint to 3 thinners) - spray a thin coat in the middle of each panel and let dry - leave the panel lines unsprayed - get a feel to the look of it - and keep spraying light coats of the faded black  - spray the bigger panels more frequently than the smaller panels to prevent the paint work looking too uniform

I know this is not how real aeroplanes look but this look seems to be a popular trend in competitions

cheers

Bernie

lancer

Looking very good. I love the nightfighter concept
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Mossie

Like the nightfighter idea Alan, looks good in black.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Allan

progress photos
I like to paint the wheel wells by first giving them some paint and then cutting strips of tape to line the edges of the wells, then fill in the remaining space with smallish squares of tape
Allan in Canberra

dumaniac

Army of One

What a great little project......love it....!!!
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Allan

thanks fellows..coming along nicely
I also like to "paint' the cannon barrels with a propelling pencil to give them an appropriate sheen
Allan

matrixone

Allan,
Good job on your Flitzer! :thumbsup:

Matrixone