the M&M Fun Ship - the model

Started by Popeye, August 01, 2013, 05:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Popeye

I did this build a while ago.  I had this idea of using the parts panels to reproduce other hulls.  with wooden ship kits, the parts panels are a sheet of different thickness plywoods,  with the parts laser cut in them....you punch them out.  I have saved many of these frames....hoping I can trace and reproduce that parts to make other hulls from them.   I had made two hulls.....one I duplicated a couple of the central ribs....this one is to be a trawler.  the other one is of the original scale length...I guess it would have been another fishing boat.  my wife is an avid M&M memorabilia collector......she has quite a collection of cookie jars and candy dispensers that depict different themes and vehicles {but no ships}.  she saw what I was doing and asked me if this would be possible.  as soon as she mentioned it.......Ideas came to me like a hundred miles an hour.........Holy crap.......YEA!!!

so I built it.....it took 4 1/2 months......the hull is the only thing that was reproduced from the templates.  all that can be seen from the deck up......is scratch made,  except the umbrellas,  the light strings,  the records,  soda cans......you know....the small stuff.  scratch built items include:
the lounge chairs
shingled roof on aft cabin {also scratch built}
complete pilot house - idea taken from a stern trawler
decals are hand made
tables with table cloths
the dance floor on the deck - made from 4 x4 mm tiles
the record player and DJ stand
........I could go on and on!

I had a lot of fun with this build.  my wife even got mad at me......someone on another site suggested I put wipers on the windshield.......at this scale {1:33}....why not.  she accused me of prolonging the build......I told her it was just a simple case of not knowing when to stop!  first.....the model ;)

the build log for this build can be seen here:

http://fantasydrydock.wordpress.com/2012/06/12/the-mm-fun-ship-part-1/

kerick

Awesome work there! If you build another party boat you should call it the Margaritaville.....
Of course then you would have to make a bunch of figures playing in a band.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Popeye

thanks Kerick........I figured out how to post pictures,  so there won't be a lot of links anymore.  I'm so stupid around computers........my geek wife had to help me  {I love 'er though}   she tells me not to quit my day hobby.

I have a few other ideas in my head......but I have five other builds going on at the moment.   I've been ordered not to start another one until I am caught up.   I like these kinds of builds.....no restrictions and plenty of free reign.     thanks again for looking in and your kind word!

PR19_Kit

Strewth opye, that's amazing!  :o

How large is it, bow to stern, so we can get an idea of the scale please?

And for those of us East of the Smaller Pond, what does 'M&M' stand for, presumably not those chocolate coated peanuts?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Popeye

you got it .......plain and peanut  {that's what is on the lavatory doors}   1:33 scale give you a hull length of about 21 inches.   on another website where I posted the build log for it,  a fellow from Australia {and his wife} went on a long trip,  made a special stop here to get some pictures of it.  he gave my wife some pictures of an M&M store in Singapore.  he had some amazing pictures.......they had been visiting museums and ship related places all over the world..  wish I could travel like that  :)  I thought it was real nice of 'em.   thanks for the good word.....glad you like it

PR19_Kit

I'm a now and then R/C model boat builder too, so I know what sort of stuff you've been through to build it, nice one.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

Quote from: Popeye on August 01, 2013, 06:27:30 AM
thanks Kerick........I figured out how to post pictures,  so there won't be a lot of links anymore.  I'm so stupid around computers........my geek wife had to help me  {I love 'er though}   she tells me not to quit my day hobby.
It's the computer that's stupid, it does only exactly what you tell it to. Most of us can't get around the "Why didn't it do what I wanted it to?" (including myself).
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

It's excellent - I love "fun" stuff like this!   ;D :thumbsup:

Respect for the amount of work that goes into one of these wooden ship kits too: I get palpitations if two halves of a plastic fuselage don't match.... :bow:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Ed S

We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Cobra

This is a Superb Build :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: if You're looking for Ideas,please Shoot me a PM,may be able to Help ;) Hope Your Wife isn't Too POed at You for doing This,She Lit the fuse with Her Comment! Stay cool & Keep up the Superb Work, You may Also want to shoot a Copy of Your Build to the People that Make M&Ms, Let them See what You've Done! Dan

Popeye

thanks for the kind word....I really appreciate the comments.  I have other ships,  as well as a couple of plastic builds, I've done in the past.  somewhere down the road,  I'll post them so you can see.  I have four or five builds {I lost track} that I have in the works at the moment......I will try to get one or two up for your viewing pleasure {now that I know how to post pictures}.

I've never done an R/C yet Kit......perhaps in the future

I'm not really that bad around computers Kerick...just kidding :)   every site is different as to how to post pictures, my wife helped me figure it out.  I maintain these darn dust collectors Hee....Hee

thanks weaver and Ed......I respect anyone who can sit there and cuss & love at the same time :)   I want to get around and see more........really nice stuff here ;)

thanks Dan.......yes, I have sent pictures to M&M/Mars.....all I got was a quaint little paragraph saying they liked it and will show it to other depts.  I don't care......would have been nice to get some free candy though  :)  my wife never gets mad at me.....she loves what I do.  she's a pretty good egg about things.  I may take you up on that idea thing.......I'll remember that!  ;)