Motorbike planes

Started by McColm, August 03, 2013, 12:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Hi guys,
There have been small/light aircraft powered by motorbike engines and motorbikes powered by aircraft engines .Even sidecars themed as aircraft but I have never come across a motorbike plane.
In whifland this is possible in 1/24 -1/25 scale, 1/35 or something larger/smaller .The scope is vast from World War I to the present. Trikes are allowed but no quads .Open or enclosed cockpit ,you could add weapons if desired.
In the real world you would need a rocket bike or some sort of jet.  Take off would be easy ,landing without breaking the rider's neck unless he/she had a helicopter version or jet pack  attached .
Could be used for agent extraction, casevac ,reccy,Sandy missions .Limitations endurance ,range and weapons .Advantage small and compact.

perttime

Instead of motorbikes that fly, this guy on DeviantArt has drawn a few airplanes that you ride like motorbikes:

http://s2ka.deviantart.com/gallery/

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

McColm

Wow!
I was thinking along the lines of using a 1/12 kit with a double Delta wing from a smaller scale ..I never been into motorbikes.Watching American Choppers on Quest TV has opened my eyes to the possibilities.

Weaver

How about, for a silly sci-fi concept, you have a bike with hub-centre steering where both wheels are powered. The swingarms can rotate about the bike's long axis to turn the wheels "flat", and the wheel "spokes" are actually fan blades that are closed in ground running (don't want to push the bike sideways!) but open for flight to generate lift. Don't know how you manage the transition though..... ;)

Here's what I mean by hub-centre steering and here's where you get a kit of it:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

martinbayer

Monogram did a kit of a winged trike once: http://www.showrods.com/showrod_pages/draggin_fly.html

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

McColm

Mossie

Well, if flying push bikes are allowed there's the Gossamer Albatross
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gossamer_Albatross

Quote from: Weaver on August 03, 2013, 03:43:56 AM
Don't know how you manage the transition though..... ;)

Since it's sci-fi, a small anti-grav repulsor, just big enough to enable it to glide a few feet off the ground.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Dizzyfugu

As an inspiration, there's this scout vehicle from Gundam UC Hard Graph - available in 1:35, AFAIK:

Runway ? ...

Obvious

But someone has tried it.

More real world.

KJ_Lesnick

I'm thinking of something... to the last poster, the top image -- that could be a baseline for an airplane design.  You'd want a cockpit but the baseline engine and wing shape
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

McColm

Something that looks like a Terrorhawk as used in a James Bond film or was it a Parahawk ?
A microlight whiffed onto a motor bike frame. The propeller on the back could tilt into hover mode .