Does anybody know the name/designation of...

Started by rickshaw, August 08, 2013, 03:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Those nifty vertical take-off platforms that were to be use to lift various 1960s British aircraft into the air and release them?

Does anybody know of some good three view drawings of them?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Mossie

English Electric P.17D.  There's a three view in Project Cancelled.  Not sure when I'll be able to, but I can scan it for you.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

The platforms were Shorts proposals.
P.17D to lift EE P.17A (TSR 2 predecessor)
PD.34 (Gnat)
PD.40 (G.91)

Project Cancelled, 2nd edition, has good drawings of the PD.34 and P.17D,
the latter was quite a ridiculous thing with 70 engines, 60 lift and 10 propulsion.

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 08, 2013, 01:22:08 PM
.....and P.17D, the latter was quite a ridiculous thing with 70 engines, 60 lift and 10 propulsion.

All the more reason for one of us here to build a model of it then........... ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 08, 2013, 02:39:13 PM
.....and P.17D, the latter was quite a ridiculous thing with 70 engines, 60 lift and 10 propulsion.

All the more reason for one of us here to build a model of it then........... ;)

... definitely a subject for WTF modelling.  ;)  ;D

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 08, 2013, 02:39:13 PM

Funny you should say that...

In connection with such an idea, I seem to remember being mentioned here somewhere resin lift fan faces being mentioned.  Doesn't anybody remember them and who made them?

rickshaw

Exactly what I was looking for but too large.  I'll have to work on this I think.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

jcf

P.17D

P.D.34

Various images of Shorts VSTOL projects here:
http://stingraysrotorforum.activeboard.com/t42982002/short-brothers-vstol-and-rotorcraft-designs/

Note that based on these drawings and the various artists impressions that, for the most part,
the faces of the lift engines would not be visible.