RAF F-117

Started by Skunk Works, August 09, 2013, 04:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skunk Works

I'm sure most of you will be aware the RAF's relationship with the F-117 , no less then 8 RAF pilots have flown this aircraft ( 2 even from Groom Lake in 1985 ) now I thought this would make a cool basis for the Academy " Ghost of Baghdad " F-117 I have sitting here. The reason being I have nearly finished my Revell/Monogram SR-71 and quite frankly I don't want to do another black aircraft straight afterwards.

What are your thoughts ? I'm thinking of a medium sea grey sort of colour ...
Currently on the workbench :

Revell/Monogram SR-71 Blackbird.

Academy F-117 Nighthawk.

Mossie

Here's the proposed F-117C for the RAF:

By the time it would have been service, grey would probably have been the colour, although the wraparound would make for a different look.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Skunk Works

Quote from: Mossie on August 09, 2013, 04:21:31 AM

By the time it would have been service, grey would probably have been the colour, although the wraparound would make for a different look.

Mossie thanks a lot for this mate this is the first time I have seen this !

Academy F-117 Nighthawk.

Mossie

No probs!  I looked into doing it myself a few years back but lost enthusiasm.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Skunk Works

I think I am giving this one the go ahead, now turning it from F-117A to F-117C hmmmm what to do .....

Academy F-117 Nighthawk.

darthspud

How about a Hemp/desert finish?
maybe markings from the 1/72 TSR 2 WHIF SHEET
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

Dizzyfugu

Add straighter wings and a hook, and hand it over to the Royal Navy...?  :rolleyes:

Considered such a mod for an USN version, in low viz grey, though, so time ago, but lost interest after modifying a MiG-37 in a similar fashion (but without naval equipment).

Mossie

Rheged

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 09, 2013, 05:37:42 AM
Add straighter wings and a hook, and hand it over to the Royal Navy...?  :rolleyes:

Yes, please!  a Fleet Air Arm F117 Orca F1  with white undersides and  dark blue upperworks.  An Omega or flying fist on the tails.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: darthspud on August 09, 2013, 04:43:18 AM

the idea has traction, but several undercoats of light gray maybe required before the black plastic stops showing thru [if you are using the italeri 1/72 kit] and then the desert pink/sand.

i like the idea of a F-117 in a retro TSR2 colors scheme.
Keeper of George the Cat.

sandiego89

Quote from: Mossie on August 09, 2013, 04:21:31 AM

So with "featuring advanced avionics and higher UK systems/avionics content"  does that translate to have BAE take a proven avionics/sensor fit, rip it all out, double the price and delay the whole thing several years?   :wacko:  Sorry could not resist. 

I think hemp would look great, but would be a poor choice for night operations.  I vote dark green and gray for the uppers and black undersides- like the later Vulcans.  Darker color for night ops, but undoubtedly British.     
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

McColm

I started to remove the space behind the cockpit area to add another crew member .I experimented with swing wings from a F-14 but couldn't make it work might try a set from a F-111A.

darthspud

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on August 19, 2013, 01:53:56 AM
Quote from: darthspud on August 09, 2013, 04:43:18 AM

the idea has traction, but several undercoats of light gray maybe required before the black plastic stops showing thru [if you are using the italeri 1/72 kit] and then the desert pink/sand.

i like the idea of a F-117 in a retro TSR2 colors scheme.

I got a cheap F117 at Avon, so i'll do a blitz over the next few days.
Will photograph my efforts and get them on here
I tend to use Halfords matt grey primer from a rattle can, so i'll start with that and move onto Humbrol Sand again from a rattle can,then see how the hemp looks.
Got several whif sheets for TSR2's and Gulf war sheets too.
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

darthspud

got an initial primer coat from a rattle can on the major fuselage parts and wings last night.
Looks good this morning, will get pics on asap

darthspud

Halfords grey primer, Humbrol Sand (both from rattle cans)
Brushed on a very thinned coat of Humbrol 168 Hemp
Going with a matt black underside and mid grey bomb-bay and undercarriage.
Got the Scale Aviation Phantom decal set for fuselage markings and tail bands.

Fair bit more work to do on this one, another coat of hemp, then the decals, u/c, weapons.

Have some JDAMS rather them LGB, might use them