Supermarine Eastfire FXIV

Started by andrewj, August 12, 2013, 10:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewj

Before WWII , Supermarine proposed a twin engined heavy fighter , the Type 327, even proceeding as far as a wooden mock-up in 1936 . However , work on the Spitfire, the advent of war and other factors led to this project being shelved.
In 1941 the entry of Japan into the war with such dramatic effect at Pearl Harbour led to the Air Ministry realising that as this was no longer just a "European show" that a long range fighter would be needed for a campaign in the Far-East.
Several companies put forwards designs ,including Supermarine , who dusted off and cleaned up the Type 327. The early flights of the prototype showed such promise that the aircraft was quickly ordered into production. the early marks were powered by Merlin engines . But in late 1944 the definative MkXIV entered production , powered by two RR Griffon 61 engines ,coupled to the new Rotol six bladed contra props. The performance was stunning, althought the range of this mark was slightly less than the Merlin variants , the aircraft could outfly almost any Japanese Fighter in service.
These aircraft fought across the far-East with devastating results until the war ended with the American dropping of the Atomic Bombs on two Japanese cities.

The model is 1/48 scale and made from various Spitfire and Mosquito parts with a very large helping of Milliput

Andrew

crudebuteffective

that is very nice

well done on a great idea and build

CBE
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

PR19_Kit

And the model is MAGNIFICENT, having seen it 'in the plastic' at Thornbury.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Librarian

Many thanks for posting. She's a truly gorgeous creation :wub:. Just love those massive Seafire Griffon (?) engines.

kitbasher

That's a beastie!  Well done - perfect colour scheme.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

pyro-manic

Wow, what a looker! :wub: Almost Hornet-esque!

Superb stuff. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

deathjester

I think 'magnificent' is exactly the right term!  Well done!!  :thumbsup:

buzzbomb

Very, very nice.

Great bit of modelling :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ed S

Superb mosel. A great combination of creativity and believability.  And a  well made kitbash, too.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

That is a both a superb-looking model and highly credible - well done!  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

comrade harps

Whatever.

kerick

"The model is 1/48 scale and made from various Spitfire and Mosquito parts with a very large helping of Milliput."
Andrew
And a very large helping of awesome!
What a great idea. Clearly a "should have been".
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Cobra

This is a Superb Model & a Masterpiece of Kitbashing :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Looks Similar to something i've seen in 'Crimson Skies'! Keep up the Superb work :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan