EF7F-4 Samcat

Started by Librarian, August 13, 2013, 02:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Librarian

No idea where I'm going with this but was inspired by a Look & Learn painting of the Convair Charger. Going to be Marines, anti-SAM vehicle (but might wander off somewhere else ;D).

I swore I'd stick to semi-reality....... :banghead:.

buzzbomb

:thumbsup:like the layout on this

kerick

Reality!...What a concept!  (Robin Williams, must give credit for stolen joke).
Go your own way with this, we'll be watching and cheering you on.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

nighthunter

I'll cheer you on, I love the look of it!
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

PR19_Kit

That's intriguing, but what is it built from, I can't recognise ANY of the bits?  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

This looks lovely!  :thumbsup: Looking forward to see what becomes of it - Sweet!  :wub:

TallEng

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 14, 2013, 03:56:48 AM
That's intriguing, but what is it built from, I can't recognise ANY of the bits?  :o

Most of it looks like its from a Tigercat of some mark or another?

And as a thought, it might look better if the main planes have the
Same sweep back as the canards?
Looking forward to seeing it finished :thumbsup:

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Librarian

So far it's all F7F-3N with a rear cap made from a radome of some sort...I think it was from an ancient Matchbox Privateer I built donkeys back. The rear canopy will be from the salvaged remains of the F-84 I used earlier; fits like a glove.

Librarian

Quote from: Librarian on August 14, 2013, 06:54:04 AM
So far it's all F7F-3N with a rear cap made from a radome of some sort...I think it was from an ancient Matchbox Privateer I built donkeys back. The rear canopy will be from the salvaged remains of the F-84 I used earlier; fits like a glove.

...and canards salvaged from the F8F :thumbsup:.

Tophe

:wub: I love it! ¨mease go on... :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Librarian

Just a quick question all you aeronautically knowledgable people. At present it looks as though the canards are going to sit directly in front of the engine cowlings. Will this affect engine performance on a piston powered unit...I think they'd play merry havoc with a jet intake? Help me keep the whiff realistic...please... ;).

wuzak

Quote from: Librarian on August 14, 2013, 12:58:22 PM
Just a quick question all you aeronautically knowledgable people. At present it looks as though the canards are going to sit directly in front of the engine cowlings. Will this affect engine performance on a piston powered unit...I think they'd play merry havoc with a jet intake? Help me keep the whiff realistic...please... ;).

I would be more worried about longitudinal stability. The distance between the elevators (on the canards) and the centre of lift looks to be quite small.

The canard's wake could affect prop efficiency and engine cooling.

The XB-35 had severe prop vibration issues due to the wake from the trailing edge of its wing. But its wing was somewhat thicker and would have a larger effectthan your canards.

Old Wombat

From memory, the forward-canted wings of sailplanes & gliders are designed that way to draw turbulence ("wing-tip vortex") in towards the fuselage, rather than out to the wing-tips where it can cause flutter. Perhaps by reversing the canards, so that they mimic the wings of the EF7F-4, at least some of the potential for interference with the props will be reduced. :blink:

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

AFAIK the sweep forward on some gliders does do that but the main reason for the sweep is to get the CG in the right place, especially with two-seaters.

The Duo-Discus that I've flown in the past has it's CG almost immediately behind the rear seat and the overall centre of lift is slightly behind that. The main reason for that positioning is that the structure is so light these days that the crew are the primary mass of the aircraft when it's flying.

The Duo has all sorts of other aerodynamic trickery to sort out the vortex issue, mini-winglets and double cambered outer wing sections etc.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Librarian

Many thanks to all for the input, very helpful :thumbsup:. I think I've arrived at a comprise between the short fuselage/ CG and reality. Post an update later.