Area 51 and its purpose officially declassified!

Started by Supertom, August 16, 2013, 05:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

Quote from: martinbayer on August 17, 2013, 10:40:21 PM
Actually, I still wonder about Areas 1 through 50!

Martin

Area 50 was where the US Gouvernment kept all the crasjed UFO's and tested a secret (yet stupid) military project called R.E.C.R.
see: Megas XLR, episode "Viva Las Megas"

http://megasxlr.wikia.com/wiki/R.E.C.R.
http://www.vbox7.com/play:57a1ebb6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdf5xgVc8os

Quote from: lancer on August 17, 2013, 02:11:57 PM
They're not green, they're gray....

quoted Dr Jack Hodgins, King of the lab  ;D (loved that episode of Bones, seen it on DVD yesterday)
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Weaver

Quote from: Rheged on August 18, 2013, 01:29:25 AM

The whole affair reminds me of a story I was told by a person who had worked for the Ordnance Survey doing military mapping:-

"When it comes to security  of something like a great underground facility,  the Soviet Union would declare it a prohibited area and shoot anyone who approached, the  US would  surround the area with lights,  barbed wire, Marine Corps guards and install a Coke dispenser and a doughnut stall  but  the British just put a cheap lock on the door, paint it green and walk away-----and everyone   assumes that the great hole in the ground must have been the  Water Company  or the Gas people and no one pays any attention at all to the thing!"

A classic example of the American approach was discovered when radio hams tried to triangulate the mysterious "numbers stations" that they'd been speculating about for years. They triangulated the American one to an area which, on the map, was just featureless forest, but in the middle of said forest you come up against a nicely maintained barbed wire fence with notices on it saying that you'll be shot without warning if you go any further. Given that said forest is in Virginia, that pretty much confirmed the leading hypothesis, namely that numbers stations were about spying.

No idea what I'm on about? Knock yourself out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_station

http://archive.org/details/ird059
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 17, 2013, 04:52:51 PM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 17, 2013, 10:31:28 AM
There's nothing of any value at Area 51.  For somewhere supposedly secret, isn't it a bit odd that it's soooo well known?  Almost like it's advertised?

Make a lot of fuss about an empty room and the real thing becomes invisible, almost undetectable.

Yes indeed, we should be wondering where Area 52 is!

maybe. however i'm much more cynically worried about area 19 as the models that come from there cause enough headscratching  ;D ;)
Keeper of George the Cat.

sandiego89

I think hiding in plain sight, or within another base, is the best way to go for special facilities. I agree the bright lights and fortress looking front gate raises more questions.  There are other facilities that do this pretty well.  Throw up a simple gate shack, and name it something innocuous like "Naval Supply Center".  You then have the real gate and securirty futher inside the installation.

Area 51 actually did pretty well with security for over 40 years, it only became iconic when the UFO crowd came on strong. The history of the area is quite interesting.  The much panned Area 51 book by Annie Jacobsen is actually pretty good highlighting the early security operations, naming etc.  Worth the read- but just stop before the last chapter as she goes all in with UFO coverups- was a good read until then.       
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Old Wombat

In which Area(s) is(are) the Zombie Quarantine & Solanum Bioweapon Research Facilities maintained? :blink:

(Sorry, just finished reading the Zombie Survival Guide & World War Z. :thumbsup: )

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

jcf

Martin

Areas 1 - 30 make up the Nevada Test Site, the bomb testing locale, Area 51 is adjacent
to NTS Area 15.

Rheged

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 19, 2013, 09:07:33 AM
In which Area(s) is(are) the Zombie Quarantine & Solanum Bioweapon Research Facilities maintained? :blink:

The Solanum Bioweapon??  Potatoes are botanically described as SOLANUM TUBEROSUM.  Are you suggesting the humble chip (French fry) as a lethal weapon?? If so, there's  an appallingly poor quality  fish and chip emporium near Winchester manufacturing such material.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Old Wombat

Quote from: Rheged on August 19, 2013, 09:36:53 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on August 19, 2013, 09:07:33 AM

The Solanum Bioweapon??  Potatoes are botanically described as SOLANUM TUBEROSUM.  Are you suggesting the humble chip (French fry) as a lethal weapon?? If so, there's  an appallingly poor quality  fish and chip emporium near Winchester manufacturing such material.

For those who haven't read Max Brooks' books;

Solanum is the virus which causes zombie-ism, named by a Dutch scientist, Jan Vanderhaven, working in Suriname in 1913.

(It is, also, the genus of flowering plants which includes potatoes & tomatoes, as well as the nightshades & horsenettles... but that is not important, now!)

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

The Solanum Bioweapon??  Potatoes are botanically described as SOLANUM TUBEROSUM.  Are you suggesting the humble chip (French fry) as a lethal weapon?? If so, there's  an appallingly poor quality  fish and chip emporium near Winchester manufacturing such material.

I never cease to be amazed at the depth of, often esoteric, knowledge on this site  :bow: ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 19, 2013, 09:27:14 AM
Martin

Areas 1 - 30 make up the Nevada Test Site, the bomb testing locale, Area 51 is adjacent
to NTS Area 15.

That map only goes up to Area 30.  Mmm, "Dome Mountain" sounds rather suspicious to me...  ;D
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

jcf

That's because the AEC NTS numbering scheme only went to 30.
Some sources consider the designation Area 51 was made up by simply
flipping the numerals for Area 15, others that 51 was chosen because
it was unlikely that a future expansion of the NTS would go that high.

philp

Warm up the black helicopters, this forum is paying off once again with potential interviewees.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 20, 2013, 07:25:43 AM

I never cease to be amazed at the depth of, often esoteric, knowledge on this site  :bow: ;D

yeah and sometimes its a welcome bit of mirth too.  :rolleyes:
Keeper of George the Cat.

McColm

From what I understand the site was used to test the A-bomb, so at what point did the powers that be deem it safe to build a facility there?
If you believe Bob Lazar the only person to spill the beans about the site, why did they let him ?Fraud or a plant with disinformation ?

I have been near the base, as close as you can get as a tourist . That was back in the 1990's ,I saw the Janet flights and listened in on the air band radio. Didn't see anything strange but I did get the sense of being watched .
I thought that they were using White Sands  test range these days .

Nick

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 19, 2013, 09:27:14 AM
Martin

to NTS Area 15.

Where is Area 13? Can't see it on the map.