PM Models

Started by Mr.Creak, August 16, 2013, 03:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Spey_Phantom

Quote from: Green Dragon on August 17, 2013, 10:58:46 AM
The only 1/72nd Ta183 option IIRC.

Paul Harrison

i was hoping find another one of those some day, build it with the cockpit of a revell FW190.
i also think it was the only source for a 1/72 Lippish P.13a
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Tojo633

I think what has to be determined is if all the moulds were still with the owner? and were all the moulds destroyed or just what was to hand? after all many of their kits were released by other companies, Matchbox, Revell and Airfix. Yak 15, Hawker Sea Fury, Horten Flying wings, Me328 & FwTa183 to name a few. Where were these kits being moulded and packaged?? If they have now all been destroyed it would be a pity, as the Luft46 kits all be it basic were good enough to use as a starting point. Maybe Airfix or Revell should consider new tools of some of these types?? Random thoughts.
Cheers
Sandy
PS looks like I am screwed for Yak 15s now lol

The Wooksta!

More likely the moulds have gone into storage.  I don't buy that story - the Turkish Military own 90% of businesses in Turkey according to one news report I saw some time back (ITV or BBC, I forget which).
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

tahsin

The percentage was never that high and impossible in the current environment. Even the Egyptians claim to have some 40 to 50% overall. And it's quite possible in a way, if there was an investment in the 80s by military or ex-military people that the family would be persuaded to get rid of the molds, instead of getting accused or anything. In any case, nobody would blame them; even if the 1/96 or 100 Phantom was always cute, me, a teen, standing for minutes in front of a shop that had one single model in the window.

kitbasher

Let's not get too emotional over PM kits.  Some were very interesting and their loss will be mourned - but hey, there's still plenty of original FROG kits available at shows so first-hand stocks won't vanish overnight.
And then PM did produce some right dogs!  Spitfire, F-16 and Mirage/Dagger anyone?

Yes they are great whifing material and yes there are one or two in the range that could do with the 'new Airfix' treatment - not least the Sea Fury.  If Airfix did rise to the Sea Fury challenge plus did a new Tempest to replace the Heller kit then they'd have the family of Hawker monoplane piston fighter family done.

And then revisited the Hart family and the Fury......

Ooops - this is the PM thread not the Airfix thread!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Captain Canada

Guess I should have grabbed up a bunch of those 2 dollar kits at Waddo !

:blink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

If anyone is gasping for PM kits, I know of several in local shops and I'm perfectly willing to pick them and post them.

Ones that I'm sure are there:

Various Spitfire Mk.5s
Various 1 & 2 seat Furys
Various F-5s
F-86E Sabre
DFS-194 rocket plane
Mirage/Dagger
F-16
Yak-15
SIAT 223 Flamingo (1/48th)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

Given that many PM kits are usually left behind in the bargain bins at shows, I don't think we'll have any real trouble getting them.  Although the Hawker Fury kits are nice to play with.

Wish I could remember what I was going to do with the Fury I'd restarted work on!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

ChrisF

I picked up a pile of them recently and gotta admit the quality varied drastically.... The spitfire is usable only for the decals i reckon... But the Sukhoi and Sea Fury look decent :)

Green Dragon

PM are apparently back! They've just issued the 1/72nd Revell F-104 Starfighter in Turkish markings in a box with very nice artwork. Seems the old kit moulds weren't destroyed when the owner died and some of the kits have been re-released over the last two years. The Beech 18's are available so I'll be getting a few and probably some Sea Fury single seaters (seems to be in Royal Australian Navy colours). The F-16 is there too but it's pretty awful, I got one free at a Leuchars airshow when I bought a 1/72nd AIDC T-3 kit, kept trying to give it back to them coz I knew it was terrible but they insisted I take it!
Pic of what's available is on this BM thread.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235031556-172-lockheed-f-104g-starfighter-by-pm-model-revell-plastic-released/

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

NARSES2

I know a lot of people found PM kits useful for various things so I thought I'd flag up that Hannants have just got a restock of what looks like the entire PM range. Appears to be new packaging as well ?

They have also released a re-boxed Italeri F-35 with Turkish AF markings. I must admit I'm half tempted to get the Sea Fury simply for the transfers as I could do with some RAN markings, but I think I'll try and find out the quality of them first  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 08, 2020, 01:45:43 AM
I know a lot of people found PM kits useful for various things so I thought I'd flag up that Hannants have just got a restock of what looks like the entire PM range. Appears to be new packaging as well ?

They have also released a re-boxed Italeri F-35 with Turkish AF markings. I must admit I'm half tempted to get the Sea Fury simply for the transfers as I could do with some RAN markings, but I think I'll try and find out the quality of them first  ;)

I've bought several over the years,  at least 4 Sea Furies (one was the Airfix rebox) - these are the best of their range in my experience.  All are good for chopping and whiffery but IIRC the relaunched range seems a tad over priced.
Have enjoyed the Sea Furies (one real world, one whif, one whif under way, one in the stash) and the Ho229 (whiffed). 

The F-100 was for cheap and cheerful whiffery but would get a second-hand FROG Hun were I to whif another.  The F-16 was royally chopped but again never again.  The Ta154 continues to fight back (another ongoing whif).  The F-5 and Me P.1111 looked decent in the box but were never built (sold on).  The Mirages are crude.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on February 08, 2020, 02:02:22 AM

I've bought several over the years,  at least 4 Sea Furies (one was the Airfix rebox) - these are the best of their range in my experience.  All are good for chopping and whiffery but IIRC the relaunched range seems a tad over priced.

The Sea Fury is £6.99, but the F.35A is £41.99 !

PR19_Kit

An Italeri F-35 is about HALF that price!  :o

I just bought one last week.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit