PM Models

Started by Mr.Creak, August 16, 2013, 03:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Almost anything from the original PM range is IMHO rubbish or at least so basic that the old Matchbox kits shine next to them.

The Sea Fury is a decent kit (it was re-boxed by Airfix, not vice versa) but very simple, as well as the Su-15s or the Ta 183. But the rest...? The F-16 IS a joke (and it's a bad one, even the Intech kit is gold againts it), the Go 229 is a direct insult, as well as the thing PM sells you as a Mirage III, V or an IAI Dagger. The F-5s are a catastrophe (anyone built the Airfix F-5? The PM kit is WORSE) and the F-4 is actually a 1:96 kit, but this is not mentioned on the box...  :rolleyes:.
Re-issuing some decent other molds is not a bad thing, but I guess that jolts of patrotism cut the marketers' connection with reality concerning the price tags?

zenrat

I have experience of their Ta 154 (Airfix re-box).  It's crude and ill fitting.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Spey_Phantom

i have some experience with the PM model kits aswell, but you can turn theyre 1/72 Ta.183 into something good with a little love and care, and the cockpit parts of a revell Fw190  :mellow:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Weaver

The P.1111 is simple but decent and builds up into a nice little model.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

chrisonord

Quote from: Weaver on February 08, 2020, 12:34:13 PM
The P.1111 is simple but decent and builds up into a nice little model.
My Boulton Paul  aircraft I  did is one of the PM models  P1111, very  basic  but  with a bit of forward planning  it could  be made  into something really  nice.  Or if you can't  be ar**d like  me, build it  as is.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

zenrat

Quote from: Nils on February 08, 2020, 12:08:02 PM
i have some experience with the PM model kits aswell, but you can turn theyre 1/72 Ta.183 into something good with a little love and care, and the cockpit parts of a revell Fw190  :mellow:

That's as may be, but it should be something good to start with.  IDK what Airfix were thinking reboxing that one.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

The Wooksta!

Lets be honest here.  PM's Luftwaffe 46 stuff is a bit hit and miss, yeah, but the ones that seem to be coming for some flak - the Ho 229 and the Ta 154 - were the only injection kits of the types for at least a decade, if not more.  The 229 seems to be a copy of the old Airmodel vacform and I've seen some superb examples built from the PM kit.  Even the Ta 154 is workable - I've done it twice.  The Ta 183 is still a pretty decent kit if a tad basic.

As for Airfix...  That was the dog end of the Humbrol administration and they were known for their cost cutting.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Nick

So what happened to PM Models?

I heard that the owner died and his widow refused to carry on the company or to sell the moulds. Did they get a very good offer?

kitnut617

Quote from: zenrat on February 08, 2020, 10:21:30 PM
Quote from: Nils on February 08, 2020, 12:08:02 PM

That's as may be, but it should be something good to start with.  IDK what Airfix were thinking reboxing that one.

Airfix reboxed the Ta.183, I didn't know that. Knew about the Sea Fury though.

This was my effort at their Ta.183, seems I did what others had done, used cockpit detail from an Fw 190. I also used a bit of brass tube for the exhaust pipe.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitbasher

Typo I think.  The 183, no; the 154 yes -  as a Mistel pairing with the old school FW190A
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

The Ta 183 ended up in a Revell box for a time.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on February 12, 2020, 09:04:50 AM
So what happened to PM Models?

I heard that the owner died and his widow refused to carry on the company or to sell the moulds. Did they get a very good offer?

That's what I'd heard as well, but it was now't more than rumour.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Martin H

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 08, 2020, 02:38:08 AM
An Italeri F-35 is about HALF that price!  :o

I just bought one last week.
I could be wrong. But ive heard they are the same kit?
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

NARSES2

Quote from: Martin H on February 13, 2020, 02:30:54 PM

You heard correctly. Just has Turkish AF markings

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/PM601?result-token=vs5TQ
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 14, 2020, 06:01:16 AM
Quote from: Martin H on February 13, 2020, 02:30:54 PM

You heard correctly. Just has Turkish AF markings

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/PM601?result-token=vs5TQ

Well that's a whiff-in-a-box right there, Turkey isn't getting them now --- The USA has pulled the plug on the deal.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike