Curtiss Model 101 (XFC-1 Oceanhawk) jet flying boat fighter +++ Pics on page 3!

Started by Dizzyfugu, August 22, 2013, 02:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

rickshaw

As as been mentioned, looks very Beriev, very like a Be-10 Mallow.   Very nicely done, indeed!   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Dizzyfugu

Closing in on the finish line!

Painting continued with some counter-shading. I used Humbrol 79 (Dark Blue Grey) for that:

1:72 Curtiss Model 101 (UFC-1 'Oceanhawk '); former second XFC-1 prototype, VX-4; Point Mugu, summer 1956 (What-if/Kit-bashing) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

BTW, here's the beaching trolley:

1:72 Curtiss Model 101 (UFC-1 'Oceanhawk '); former second XFC-1 prototype - Beaching trolley by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

I never expected to hafind ANY use for it - but here the leftover parts came in handy! The trolley for the UFC-1 was puzzled together from the parts supllied with A-Model's Kh-20M (AS-3 'Kangaroo') kit, but was modified (e. g. with different wheels) and adapted to the flying boat's hull. It fits perfectly in shape and design, though!
The thing was simply painted bright yellow, a nice contrast to the dark grey/white aircraft it is supposed to carry on land.

The trolley was simply painted in yellow and makes a nice contrast to the dark aircraft on top of it.

After a black ink wash on the kit I also painted some panel lines with a mix of black and matt varnish onto the hull. That turned out to be a little much, but finally, when the decals were applied (wild mix from various aftermarket sheets and the scrap box), the overall impression became much better:

1:72 Curtiss Model 101 (UFC-1 'Oceanhawk '); former second XFC-1 prototype, VX-4; Point Mugu, summer 1956 (What-if/Kit-bashing) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Both aircraft and trolley were additionally weathered with some dry-brushed rust and grinded graphite, and finally received a coat of matt varnish.

Now, beauty pics and story to finish the project up - might take a while, as artificial water for scenes 'on the ground' might be tricky to create.  :rolleyes:

NARSES2

Quote from: pyro-manic on August 24, 2013, 05:28:52 PM
Looks like a Beriev to me! Smart. :thumbsup:

And to me although the front end looks very American of the period.

Beaching trolley is  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

nighthunter

My dear friend, I strongly suggest the name Seahawk instead, and I would also like to suggest Sand Point NAS, Washington State, as point of interest in your story, whatever it may be. Maybe the Navy decided to give Sea Plane Carriers a try during this period as a fast and mobile strike base.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

philp

I really love this build.

Wish I had the vision to see something like this and then execute it.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Gondor

With the decals on it really pulls the paint job together although I hope the weathering scuffs up the Gray wing walk areas as they look too pristine in the pictures, but as you say, still needed weathering.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Ed S

Great model. Clever idea and well made kitbash. You can't even recognize the F-86 you started with.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

kerick

I love the engine layout! Lots of vision on this project. I too wish I could imagine it then build it so quickly.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: nighthunter on August 25, 2013, 10:28:43 AM
My dear friend, I strongly suggest the name Seahawk instead, and I would also like to suggest Sand Point NAS, Washington State, as point of interest in your story, whatever it may be. Maybe the Navy decided to give Sea Plane Carriers a try during this period as a fast and mobile strike base.

Unfortunately, the Seahawk name had already been used for the SC-1 pathfinder aircraft. It would have been my 1st choice, though - totally agree with you. The Oceanhawk is just second choice, but fits IMHO, too.

Point Mugu as basis just came into the play as I was looking for a squadron which could have used this thing for tests. I finally settled for VX-4 (as this was reporducable with decals at hand...) - but that would not exclude the use of other basis' for tests and trials, thanks a lot for the suggestions.  :thumbsup:

Weaver

Very pretty - I like that a lot!  :thumbsup: :wub:

I've considerd doing something similar myself, but by scaleorama-ing the old box-scale Revell Mariner to 1/72nd scale and adding jet engines and a canopy. It would still be rather bigger though. There was a Beriev prototype before the Be-10 called the R-1 that had just such an arrangement:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

Yup. The R-1 made me consider making a Soviet aircraft from the model for some time.

sandiego89

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 26, 2013, 02:16:37 AM
Quote from: nighthunter on August 25, 2013, 10:28:43 AM

Point Mugu as basis just came into the play as I was looking for a squadron which could have used this thing for tests. I finally settled for VX-4 (as this was reporducable with decals at hand...) - but that would not exclude the use of other basis' for tests and trials, thanks a lot for the suggestions.  :thumbsup:

Nice build- like this very much.  How did you tint the canopy? 

BTW Pt. Mugu never had seaplane ramps (it is on the open ocean-thus no sheltered water for a seaplane airdrome). So VX-4 is fine given your decals, but North Island, Sand Point or Patuxent River would be more suitable bases for a trial seaplane.  Pax river would be the primary testing place. 

Well done.

Now for your pilot on the other project- contrary to standard safety standards she does not appear to be wearing a nomex flightsuit.... although bouyancy does not apear to be a problem if she ejects over water  :thumbsup: 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA