the airfix logo

Started by Howard of Effingham, August 23, 2013, 04:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard of Effingham

i've been wondering looking at the various boxings of airfix kits i've got in the stash, just how many variations of it have there been over the years?

some seem to be quite small in difference, but differ they do.

over to you.
Keeper of George the Cat.

kitnut617

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on August 23, 2013, 04:09:05 AM
i've been wondering looking at the various boxings of airfix kits i've got in the stash, just how many variations of it have there been over the years?

some seem to be quite small in difference, but differ they do.

over to you.

Six Trev -- at least that's what's showing in my copy of PAK-20.  Now someone is bound to correct me on that ---  :lol:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

I know a guy who collects JUST the boxes, he'll know for sure!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on August 23, 2013, 06:23:30 AM
Six Trev -- at least that's what's showing in my copy of PAK-20.  Now someone is bound to correct me on that ---  :lol:

OK time to put my "lets ask the stupid question hat on".

What is the PAK-20 book you refer to Kitnut ? I've got a "Encyclopedia of Plastic Kits" but must admit it no way goes into the detail your tomb does.

Forgive me if the answer is obvious to everyone else but one advantage of advancing age is that you lose your fear of asking "dumb" questions  ;D

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

martinbayer

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 23, 2013, 07:30:38 AM
What is the PAK-20 book you refer to Kitnut ? I've got a "Encyclopedia of Plastic Kits" but must admit it no way goes into the detail your tomb does.
Chris

Chris, see here: http://www.rare-planedetective.com/referenceforsale.htm

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

kitnut617

Chris

Plastic Aircraft Kits of the Twentieth Century (and Beyond) written and compiled by John W. Burns.  The books lists all plastic, vac and resin aircraft kits released (or to be released) up to 2001 when the book was published.  There are four Addendums (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006/2007) which list corrections and other kits not listed in the big book.  After the last Addendum John retired and the whole shebang is now under the control of Jeff Garretty, owner of Rare-Plane Detective and Nostalgic Plastic.  There was 1000 copies printed and mine is #515, it looks like Jeff has found some more.

I should say that the book is an ""attempt"" to list all plastic aircraft kits, because I have found some that I have in my stash which I have had since before 2001 that are not listed, that's in the book and the addendums.  Any aircraft kits that don't appear in the book, please tell Jeff because as I understand it, he will be compiling more addendums.

The book has two chapters, First one has real aircraft manufacturer names which then list kits of aircraft that they made which are available in kit form. The second chapter has all kit manufacturer names and then the lists of kits they made, each has a brief history as to the company.

The big book lists 31,858 aircraft kits in all scales and medium
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Rheged

OK time to put my "lets ask the stupid question hat on".

Forgive me if the answer is obvious to everyone else but one advantage of advancing age is that you lose your fear of asking "dumb" questions  ;D

Chris

When I was still teaching, I regularly insisted that there was no such thing as a dumb/silly/stupid question, there was just a sensible person who wasn't afraid to ask........and keep asking until they understood.

It was one Albert Einstein who said "The mark of genius is not knowing everything,  but knowing how to find out"

On that basis, you still score highly!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

rickshaw

I use the website http://www.scalemates.com for looking up kits.  I have no idea if it's complete or not but it usually has the data I'm looking for.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Thanks for the replies gents - I am enlightened  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Wow...a couple good tips in this thread....thanks guys ! As a side note, I was looking on that http://www.1001modelkits.com/ site, and although I've heard mixed reviews of their service ( having never ordered somethin from them myself ) They do list ( with pics etc. ) a lot of kits !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?