Hawkers short lived Tornado

Started by NARSES2, August 25, 2013, 07:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Although the Vulture engine was having serious development problems in particular with it's use on the Avro Manchester, Hawkers managed to get it to work sufficiently well enough for the A.M. to order Hawkers Tornado into limited series production as the same companies Typhoon was having some development problems.

Thus one of the 2 squadrons to be equipped with the aircraft prior to the cancellation of the engine (shades of the Peregrine and Whirlwind ?) was 615 Squadron at Kenley who received their aircraft commencing in late March 1941. By May 1941 they were operational and continued to operate the Tornado until May 1942. The aircraft proved relatively successful in the low altitude fighter role and was used on numerous sweeps over the Channel. The engine took some maintenance but the squadron's ground crew soon became the experts in its upkeep and the squadron had one of the highest availability rates in Fighter Command.

This particular aircraft was a gift from the people of the Surrey town and Borough of Croydon and bears it's then badge on the airframe in recognition of that. It is also one of those aircraft that had a sky blue spinner and tail band in order to show up better over the sky undersurfaces. These were repainted in sky at a latter date.

Model is the LF Resins kit which went together reasonably well, although it's a tad clunky. The markings are from the Sky Hurricanes sheet and are also to be seen in the SAM Combat Colours book on the Hurricane which gives the sky blue spinner/tail band info. Paints are my usual mix - Xtracrylic, Lifecolor, Humbrol etc. All in all an enjoyable project and when lined up between a Hurricane and Typhoon she really looks like does show the family resemblance.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Ahah, so that's what it is. Looks great Chris, a step toward a Typhoon of course.  :thumbsup: :bow:

I'm sorry to say I didn't arrive in Croydon till Dec 1942 so I couldn't have contributed but Ido  like the idea of the town's coat of arms.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Very, very few Hawker Tornadoes around Chris, so it's nice to see one built - and indeed one without the chin radiator.  Neatly done too.

I remember first learning of the Tornado in a 1970's Aircraft Illustrated and even at first look it seemed an odd mongrel cross between a Hurricane and a Typhoon.  Which I guess it was in a way - crossroads between the two in the Hawker chronology, of course.  Sir Sidney did well to drop it!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

crudebuteffective

nice work

have a soft spot for the tornado myself

Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

wuzak

Quote from: kitbasher on August 25, 2013, 08:29:49 AM
Very, very few Hawker Tornadoes around Chris, so it's nice to see one built - and indeed one without the chin radiator.  Neatly done too.

Only the first Tornado had the radiator below the centre fuselage - and that was moved quickly when it was discovered that it didn't work.

There was a plan to use a Tornado with a Wright engine (either R-2600 or R-3350) and one did later test the Centaurus.

Another was used by de Havilland to test contra-rotating props, the engine modified by Rolls-Royce.

Weaver

Looks really good Chris: nice one!  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

Another excellent build there, Chris.  Always had a soft-spot for the Tornado.  Pity it was the engine that let it down so badly.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

That's an interesting picture of the Tornado with the contra-prop

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Captain Canada

What a little beauty ! Nice work Chris ! Can definitely see the family lines in there...especially in the actual photo with the contra-props ( who knew ? :banghead:)

PS-I'd move it off that cork before somebody sets their pint down on it  :thumbsup:

:tornado:

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

wuzak

The Tornado does look somewhat sleeker without that radiator scoop under the nose.

I first saw the contra-prop Tornado in British Experimental Combat Aircraft of World War II by Tony Buttler.

http://www.amazon.com/British-Experimental-Combat-Aircraft-World/dp/1902109244/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378514102&sr=8-1&keywords=British+Experimental+Combat+Aircraft+of+World+War+II

There is a chapter on the Tornado's developments.

Wonder how it would look with leading edge radiators and the contra-props.

rickshaw

Only one way to find out...   :cheers:

Off to do my democratic duty!   Unfortunately, it just encourages the buggers.  ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Old Wombat

Quote from: rickshaw on September 06, 2013, 09:11:20 PM
Only one way to find out...   :cheers:

Off to do my democratic duty!   Unfortunately, it just encourages the buggers.  ;)

Done my Democratic Duty but by the time it's counted it wont mean much (absentee vote).

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est