A Peculiar Puffin

Started by NARSES2, August 25, 2013, 07:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

The Miles M 20 started off life as an emergency fighter proposal during the dark days of 1940 and was one of the first types envisaged to use the "power egg" concept.

By the time the aircraft was ready for flight tests the immediate need for an emergency fighter had passed and there were enough Spitfires and Hurricanes to go around with lots of promising developments in the pipeline. Not to be put off by this the people at Miles started to look at ways to save their project and decided to offer a navalised version. Now this is where the story gets a little confusing.

There is absolutely no evidence of any order being placed by the A.M., the Ministry of Production, the RAF or the RN for the aircrafts production but Miles still managed to produce 15 of them ?? When discovered by a diligent supplies clerk in the M.of.P who wondered why Miles needed Merlin Power Eggs the company insisted that they had received verbal instructions to proceed and did so. Faced with this fait aucompli the authorities took the aircraft on charge but somehow forgot to pay for them. Apparently the necessary paperwork got lost in the post. Miles were still trying to get their money as late as 1955 !

Now the authorities had 15 aircraft for which they had no use, so what to do with them ? They were nearly sent East to the Middle East or to Greece but on both occasions the order was rescinded. Then in 1941 the CAM ship concept was born and they had found their role. With a few changes the aircraft suited the "disposable" fighter role well, indeed it was rumoured the RAF would have liked to have seen them disposed of over the side as quickly as possible. They equipped the Merchant Ship Fighter Unit alongside some time worn Hurricanes and were used in the role until the availability of Merchant Aircraft Carriers in mid 1942. Of the 15 aircraft 5 were launched and inevitably lost when they ditched after their sortie, one was lost overboard during a winter gale and the remaining 9 were scrapped immediately after being struck off charge in 1942. They claimed no kills, indeed it's doubtfull if they ever fired their guns in anger but those launched did enough to scare off the shadowing Condors and thus contributed to saving merchant seaman's lives.

The aircraft was never given an official name, known only as the M.20 or the "bl**dy nuisance" in official papers but to it's operators it's squat appearance and small size got it labelled Puffin.

Kit is the Kora resins one which went together nicely but has rather a lot of pin holes, not as many as the Tornado though. Paints are my usual mix and the markings are again from the Sky Hurricane sheet and the SAM book and should of been on a CAM ship Hurricane.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I like that one Chris, the aircraft's always been a fave of mine and you've bought it to life, not to mention the eminently believable backstory.  :thumbsup: :bow:

Having said that the M20 would have a been REAL pain to ditch with those massive spats, a turn-over would have been almost a certainty. But perhaps the landing gear was jettisoned first?  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Nice M.20 Chris.  To me something quite intriguing about the M.20 - and attractive - and I wonder what it would look like with retractable u/c, perhaps cross kitting with a Hurricane I (metal wing)?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

crudebuteffective

nice work

the m20 was proof you can make a good aircraft quickly

:thumbsup: :bow:
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

nighthunter

I love the wee M.20, in fact, I gave it the name Miles Mischief, which would work well in the Official Papers :P
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

royabulgaf

I read about this in Tony Buttler's new book on RAF might have beens.  Apparently a version with no real undercarriage was considered for merchant catapault ships.
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

Dizzyfugu

Nice aircraft - looks beefy. A retractable landing gear (as a Mk. II version) would suit it well, too?

Weaver

Looks good Chris!  :thumbsup:

I always wondered how these would have got on had they been given a chance: I suspect rather well.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

Shame they didn't produce more and send them to Malaya.  I'm sure they'd have given a good account of themselves.

Very nicely done, Chris, very nice indeed.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: royabulgaf on August 25, 2013, 07:31:14 PM
I read about this in Tony Buttler's new book on RAF might have beens.  Apparently a version with no real undercarriage was considered for merchant catapault ships.

Well I never. I've got the book but haven't really read it yet. Great minds  ;D

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 25, 2013, 08:22:55 AM
Having said that the M20 would have a been REAL pain to ditch with those massive spats, a turn-over would have been almost a certainty. But perhaps the landing gear was jettisoned first?  ;)

Yup landing gear was taken off prior to fitting to catapult and she took off mounted to a sled type contraption  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Lovely little emergency fighter that might have punched above it's weight.  Nice little model Chris! :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

KJ_Lesnick

How much speed would come out of removing the spatted gear
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Old Wombat

Can't give a definitive answer but, generally, quite a bit - about 15-20 mph, from memory - but the big difference would be in the aircraft's combat handling. Spats, when flying at speed, cause downward drag which can severely reduce combat climb & turn rates & the weight of retracting gear is not necessarily that much heavier than spatted gear.

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TallEng

That's nice :thumbsup:
If it did get retracting U/C wouldn't it look an awful lot like a Typhoon?
So now I'm wondering, how small is small?

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 28, 2013, 09:21:52 PM
Can't give a definitive answer but, generally, quite a bit - about 15-20 mph, from memory - but the big difference would be in the aircraft's combat handling. Spats, when flying at speed, cause downward drag which can severely reduce combat climb & turn rates & the weight of retracting gear is not necessarily that much heavier than spatted gear.

:cheers:

Guy

I think it was the Finn's who built a Fokker D XX1 with retractable undercarriage. Because of the extra weight involved with the retractable undercarriage It made no appreciable difference to the aircraft's performance so they converted it back. I'm only talking speed/climb etc. I've not read anything about the aircrafts manouverabilty.