McDonnell Douglas DC9-60TW

Started by PR19_Kit, August 30, 2013, 06:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

After the introduction of the DC9-50 Series in 1975, McD were aware of a demand for an even larger version on the short and medium length sectors in the US and elsewhere. Accordingly an even further stretch of the already stretched DC9 fuselage was investigated, and during this work a single version of a radically different airliner was built.

The proposed model no. for the new version was to be the logical extension of the DC9-10, -20, -30, -40 and -50 series, being the DC9-60 and would have carried some 175 single class passengers compared to the 135 in the existing -50s. However calculations and wind tunnel tests showed that the existing high-lift wing, used on the -20 to -50 variants of the DC9, would not work well with the increased weight of the longer fuselage. McDonnell Douglas therefore decided to embark on a totally new wing design but in the meanwhile started a company funded experimental programme to see just how far the existing production components could be taken, and thus the DC9-60TW was born.

The TW used a radical extension of the existing -50 fuselage to produce a massive 160 ft. long assembly capable of carrying almost 200 passengers, by far the largest capacity twin-engined single aisle airliner of its time. In order to lift this McD used TWO sets of the high-lift wings arranged one in front of the other and dispensed with the fin mounted tailplane entirely, extra yaw stability being produced by two fins mounted on the tips of the rear wing, a system that later became almost standard in the airliner market but being called 'winglets'.

The existing P&W JT-8D-17 engines did not produce enough thrust for the ensuing monster and were replaced by JT-8D200 series engines of some 21000 lbs thrust in longer and fatter cowlings. In addition, in the never ending search for lower drag, a chisel tailcone was fitted, a longer version of which was later to become standard on the MD-80 series into which the -60TW morphed. The 200 series engines were also used on the MD-80 after a brief flirtation with turbo-prop and un-ducted fan experiments.

The singleton -60TW (Tandem Wing) was used by McD themselves for some years to test and evaluate many aspects of their 'stretch' technology and was also leased to many US airlines for short periods to see what the market would bear, but only one airline took any real notice, AirCal, and they eventually bought the aircraft adorning it with their colourful 'cranked stripe' livery. In later years the -60TW was destined to become a fire practice hulk at Los Angeles International but in the short time it was in real passenger service it allowed passengers a truly unique experience of travelling in a jetliner with FOUR wings!

-------------------------------------------

This is obviously built from my recently increased stock of Airfix DC9s, and uses the engine and wheel-less kit that I mentioned elsewhere together with a more complete compatriot. It's simply the longest possible DC9 that you can build out of two Airfix DC9-30s, but I've added a resin chisel tail as well, and it will also have a tail door and stair set from the same manufacturer. The current engines will be replaced with a pair from a Welsh Models MD82 which are of the larger JT8D-200 series and it'll gain some winglets when I've found where I filed my small stock of such items. You can see from the piccies how much of a putty queen the later versions of Airfix's DC9 are, there's sink holes all OVER the place and I fully expect to add another layer later in the build.

Yes Gondor, you got it dead right.....  :thumbsup:

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Hell's bells, you were quick! I only posted it 5 minutes ago!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

darthspud

Kit,
You are Gerry Anderson re-incarnate , and I claim my £10 finders fee!

Good idea mind....
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 30, 2013, 06:47:07 AM
Hell's bells, you were quick! I only posted it 5 minutes ago!  :o

Just happened to be passing by.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kerick

Where's the two extra engines? You could mount them side by side like the Lockheed Jetstar.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/20/Lockheed_Jetstar_3-view.jpg
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 30, 2013, 06:38:50 AM

Yes Gondor, you got it dead right.....  :thumbsup:

Only obvious option really, easiest possible build as well which is the kind of thing aircraft companies like to do if possible. They are always looking to get the extra production run out of existing tooling.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kerick on August 30, 2013, 11:11:01 AM
Where's the two extra engines? You could mount them side by side like the Lockheed Jetstar.

It doesn't need any more as it uses the more powerful JT-8D200s, as later fitted to the RW MD80 series. It says that in the backstory and the build.

Anyway I've used them on the DC9-BJ...........

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: Gondor on August 30, 2013, 11:30:07 AM

Only obvious option really, easiest possible build as well which is the kind of thing aircraft companies like to do if possible. They are always looking to get the extra production run out of existing tooling.

Gondor

Why do you think the 707, 727, 737, and 757 all have the same fuselage diameter?

Interesting design Kit.  And probably not as daunting as the 779.  :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Gondor

Quote from: scooter on August 30, 2013, 02:43:03 PM
Quote from: Gondor on August 30, 2013, 11:30:07 AM

Gondor

Why do you think the 707, 727, 737, and 757 all have the same fuselage diameter?

Interesting design Kit.  And probably not as daunting as the 779.  :wacko:

Oh I know why, others don't, nor dose everyone see what is obvious to others. Admittedly though I feel that some, not necessarily on this forum, would see far better with the application of a piece of two by four!

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Howard of Effingham

Keeper of George the Cat.

albeback

:lol:
I like this. Great minds obviously think alike!! Here's something I prepared earlier!!

Now, about those two DC-10 kits I have...........!!!!! :lol:

ps - Now, if only Airfix would give us a 1/72 VC-10.........!!! :lol:
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

kitbasher

Gerry Anderson isn't dead - he just did a Reginald Perrin and is hiding in Whiffworld!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

CSMO

Cool! You guys better be careful. You could be guilty of copyright infringement. You could be sued by the Mignet family, one of whom designed the Flying Flea double wing airplane in the 1920s. Adios, Larry.
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."