McDonnell Douglas DC9-60TW

Started by PR19_Kit, August 30, 2013, 06:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

albeback

Quote from: CSMO on September 01, 2013, 06:41:36 AM
Cool! You guys better be careful. You could be guilty of copyright infringement. You could be sued by the Mignet family, one of whom designed the Flying Flea double wing airplane in the 1920s. Adios, Larry.

Lol! :lol: I reckon ours could fly better than his though!!
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

PR19_Kit

Jeepers, that VC-100 or whatever could do with more engines I reckon.  ;D :lol:

Looks terrific.  :thumbsup:

I did think of calling mine a DC9-60D for Delanne, but it turns out that Delanne winged aircraft have their aft wing smaller than the forward one, and mine  are pretty much the same size. It's due for primer tomorrow, and I'll finish paint and decal the fuselage before I assemble the pre-painted wings and tail.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

CSMO

If you called it the Mutant Pou-du-Ciel(Flying Flea), it would honor the Mignet family, and possibly save you from the lawsuit that I mentioned above. Suggestion: put B-52 steerable bicycle-type landing gears on it to reduce the ground turning radius. It is not as long as the VC-10 spawn , which as built would need a grid square to make a 180 degree turn on the ground. As I said, cool idea and builds, the both of you. Adios, Larry.
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

albeback

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 01, 2013, 02:33:26 PM
Jeepers, that VC-100 or whatever could do with more engines I reckon.  ;D :lol:

Looks terrific.  :thumbsup:

I did think of calling mine a DC9-60D for Delanne, but it turns out that Delanne winged aircraft have their aft wing smaller than the forward one, and mine  are pretty much the same size. It's due for primer tomorrow, and I'll finish paint and decal the fuselage before I assemble the pre-painted wings and tail.

:lol: I didn't have any more engines!! :lol:

albeback

Quote from: CSMO on September 01, 2013, 08:46:54 PM
If you called it the Mutant Pou-du-Ciel(Flying Flea), it would honor the Mignet family, and possibly save you from the lawsuit that I mentioned above. Suggestion: put B-52 steerable bicycle-type landing gears on it to reduce the ground turning radius. It is not as long as the VC-10 spawn , which as built would need a grid square to make a 180 degree turn on the ground. As I said, cool idea and builds, the both of you. Adios, Larry.

:lol: For the purposes of the model I will pretend the landing gears ARE steerable! Where there's a whif, there's a way! :lol: I'd LOVE to do this in 1/72 if we ever get a VC-10 in a proper scale!

PR19_Kit

Made some serious progress on the TW y'day. I sprayed the first coat of Halfords Grey Primer and then had the almost inevitable tidy-up PSR session done by the evening and applied the 2nd primer coat and let it dry overnight. The results are below, but the wings are only plugged in, not glued.

I tend to paint and decal the fuselages and wings of my airliners separately and cement them on final assembly as the colour schemes of the two parts are a) totally different usually, and b) have a hard demarcation line at the wing root.

I've added all the little etched bits, nose and engine strakes from an MD80 dress up kit, added the myriad under-wing doodads that DC9s have, but made the forward wing just a but different by making the flaps smaller and deleting a flap hinge. I also added a cut-down set of winglets from Braz Models 737-800NG set to the rearward wing, just because I liked the look of them.  ;D

They turned out to be a bit of a problem to fit as they're much thinner than the tip of the DC9-30 wing and needed mucho sanding and PSR work. The joint still needs a little attention even now, but I'll do that before I spray the overall Ford Polar Grey onto the wings later today.

The gaping hole under the tail is for the rear entrance door/ladder thing. I have a nice etched brass/resin set for that but it'd be too fragile to attach before final assembly.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

The Rat

QuoteAny aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

And/or by making the fuselage longer!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Rat on September 12, 2013, 05:54:00 AM
QuoteAny aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

And/or by making the fuselage longer!  :thumbsup:

Well, yes. Sometimes........  ;D

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Got lots of paint on the TW over the last few days, all Halfords rattle can stuff of course.

Appliance White for the fuselage, Ford Polar Grey for the main section of the wings with Gloss Silver for the control surfaces and leading edges etc. The AirCal decals are all ATP sheets, superbly printed and very dense indeed, and the Corrogard panels on the wings are also ATP cut to size. For some reason they're loads bigger than they should be but they're easy to fix.

I'm waiting for some Draw Decal window decals to go any further but I'm sure they won't be much longer.

Regards
Kit

Cobra

Kit,this is Class AAA Superb :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow: :bow: Sure You didn't Work with derek Meddings? Keep up the Superb Work :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 13, 2013, 04:23:06 PMI'm waiting for some Draw Decal window decals to go any further but I'm sure they won't be much longer.

Finish it anyway, and until they show up call it a freighter version.  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Rat on September 14, 2013, 05:43:21 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 13, 2013, 04:23:06 PMI'm waiting for some Draw Decal window decals to go any further but I'm sure they won't be much longer.

Finish it anyway, and until they show up call it a freighter version.  ;D

Hehe, that's not a bad idea, I have some cargo door decals already..........  ;)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

While the windows are winging their way across the Atlantic (I hope....) I've applied as many of the rest of the decals as I can.

So the TW has now had all its doors (including the cargo door  ;)), the wing escape walks and other small stuff applied. Mrs_PR19 had a genius idea and suggested I put some small 'rainbow' bands on the winglets, which are done too. It's had a couple of coats of Kleer applied and I really have gone  as far as I can just now.

Note the dinky little set of white metal SAC landing gear in the first piccie, they're superbly cast and you get TWO aircraft sets in each box.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

The Rat