McDonnell Douglas DC9-60TW

Started by PR19_Kit, August 30, 2013, 06:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 06, 2013, 01:43:38 PM
Of course this also means I'll be a nosewheel leg short on another of my DC9s, grrrrrrrrrrrrr..............

I know how that feels Kit, did something similar on the project I'm building (you know, the black one). it slipped out of my hands but I managed to catch it between my knees, which promptly broke it in half ----  :banghead:  fixed it up though.

I was thinking --- why do you need a nose gear, just have it land on the four main gear,  They're space about right ----  :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

There is only the two aft main gears, the foreward wing has the bays blanked off.

Of course the rear legs run at a  MUCH higher pre-charge pressure for the oleos...........  ;) ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I've managed to re-glue the wings in place without too many signs of the breakage, this time with strong superglue rather than styrene cement. I've added a new nose wheel leg and replaced the original nosewheels, but one of the main gears broke off while I was doing that.  :banghead:

So now I've repaired that gear leg and it sits OK on its wheels and the taildoor. ALL I have to do now is replace the nose gear doors and add the handrails to the taildoor, which is where I was before I dropped it!

Hopefully it'll be finished over the next few days and I'll post some piccies of the finished article.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

And now I've finished the TW as well as the BJ.  ;D :lol:

At last I managed to glue the handrails into position on the taildoor, thanks to Mrs_PR19 who lent me some of her trick plastic nail glue. It's superglue but dries like LIGHTNING and comes with a diddy little brush rather like the old bottles of Mek-Pak. All I had to do was hold the handrail fret in place and touch the brush to its edge. Bingo, it was tagged in place.  :thumbsup:

Then I gave it a coat of Vallejo Gloss White and that was that, job done at last.

The darn thing's so long I couldn't get a decent focus on all of it at once so I've done the main piccies in two views.

Regards
Kit

Cobra

Superb Job,Kit :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Why do i get the feeling Some Travel agent is Gonna ask You if a Plane like that is Available for Hire :lol: Anything as Cool planned?  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

ericr

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

scooter

Most impressive, as usual Kit. :thumbsup:  I do hope the AC pack (located in the tailcone) got upgraded as well, otherwise MDD is going to get a lot of passenger complaints forwarded on to them.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Thanks guys, it was nice to see the thing FINALLY roll off the line last night.

As for the AC pack, it has double the number of intakes and exhausts so hopefully it'll be able to work twice as hard.........  ;)

Regards
Kit

Modelling_Mushi

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 14, 2013, 01:51:06 PM
...  glue the handrails into position on the taildoor, thanks to Mrs_PR19 who lent me some of her trick plastic nail glue. It's superglue but dries like LIGHTNING and comes with a diddy little brush rather like the old bottles of Mek-Pak ...

Mr PR19, its a cracking model, very nice.

Do you think you could get the name / brand of Mrs PR19s nail glue and post it here? If its that good I'll have to get some (Mrs Mushi wears not the plastic nail glue, although I do have half her acetone stocks stashed away). TIA.
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

Army of One

BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Modelling_Mushi on October 15, 2013, 05:05:39 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 14, 2013, 01:51:06 PM
...  glue the handrails into position on the taildoor, thanks to Mrs_PR19 who lent me some of her trick plastic nail glue. It's superglue but dries like LIGHTNING and comes with a diddy little brush rather like the old bottles of Mek-Pak ...

Mr PR19, its a cracking model, very nice.

Do you think you could get the name / brand of Mrs PR19s nail glue and post it here? If its that good I'll have to get some (Mrs Mushi wears not the plastic nail glue, although I do have half her acetone stocks stashed away). TIA.

No sooner the question than........  ;D

It's made by a firm called 'Stranded' of all people, and she got hers from Superdrug apparently but I just looked it up on the Net and it's available here :-

http://www.terrysboutique.co.uk/nailglue.html

The pack in their piccie looks EXACTLY like the one I used.

This reminds me of the occasion I wrote an article in a railway modelling magazine about using powder eye shadows to weather models.  ;D

It works a treat but could you ever live the reputation down? I never have of course.  ;D

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 15, 2013, 08:30:51 AMThis reminds me of the occasion I wrote an article in a railway modelling magazine about using powder eye shadows to weather models.  ;D

It works a treat but could you ever live the reputation down? I never have of course.  ;D

Radish, of course, would have no qualms whatsoever. :lol:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 15, 2013, 08:30:51 AM

It's made by a firm called 'Stranded' of all people, and she got hers from Superdrug apparently but I just looked it up on the Net and it's available here :-

http://www.terrysboutique.co.uk/nailglue.html

The pack in their piccie looks EXACTLY like the one I used.

Is that Radish having a sideline?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

OK, now both the TW and the BJ really ARE finished.   ;D

I've added the NM leading edges to the BJ and the TW's fin and added the teeny weeny etched VHF aerials on both of them. Needless to say while taking the masking tape off the BJ it lifted some off the Corroguard decals so they had to be replaced and the second batch were a different colour to the originals!  :banghead: So I had to apply matching patches on the opposite sides too. <sigh>

Here's the pair of them in all their glory, plus a picccie of my entire DC9 collection to show where the Whiffed versions fit in the overall scheme of things. The standard length Airfix kit is the all black Big Bunny DC9-30 in the middle.

Regards
Kit