McDonnell Douglas DC9-60TW

Started by PR19_Kit, August 30, 2013, 06:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Librarian

GENIUS :wub: :thumbsup: :cheers:. The family looks very healthy, well done.

The Rat

Quite the collection, well done!  :cheers:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Tophe

I do love the DC-9 Tandem Wing and the DC-9 Eggplane, thanks a lot for showing them! :wub: :wub:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Mossie

Crazy enough, I do think the colours suit it well.  Great finish Kit! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on October 17, 2013, 06:21:08 AM
Crazy enough, I do think the colours suit it well.  Great finish Kit! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've got to agree with you Simon, Kit does get a very good finish on his airliners.  I'll have to find out how he does it because I've got a project coming up that will end up as a Canadian North operated aircraft.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Standard airliner modellers technique really. It's very rare that the real thing gets really badly weathered like combat aircraft so they're generally presented as if they came straight out of the paint shop.

I use Halfords Grey Primer to start with, after the usual tedious PSR session to get the thing looking smooth, then there's usually ANOTHER PSR session followed by another primer coat. Sometimes I change the primer colour if the main colour needs it, and right now I'm doing an RW MD82 which is all-over red, so I used Halfords red primer on that one. Then I give it a light sanding all over with 600 or 800 grit wet and dry and wash it with water with a drop or two of liquid soap included and let it air dry.  Then I give it a light colour coat, usually Halfords Appliance White, but other colours as required, followed by a heavier coat after that first coat has dried off.

Then I give it one or two coats of Klear, applied by brush in my case but it can be sprayed I understand. Then I decal it, which takes some time usually, followed by another two coats of Klear.

Time consuming but they generally come out well.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Sounds simple enough  -------    :-X        :lol:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Gondor

Its that smooth part that I have difficulty with  :banghead:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Captain Canada

Awesome ! Looks great finished...nice one. The stairs are a nice touch. And thanks for the tip about the nail glue !

I like the way the second set of wings has the tips.....but it looks funny with not tail feathers !

:tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Captain Canada on October 17, 2013, 04:10:00 PM
Awesome ! Looks great finished...nice one. The stairs are a nice touch. And thanks for the tip about the nail glue !

I like the way the second set of wings has the tips.....but it looks funny with not tail feathers !

:tornado:

I thought about the tail at length, but it occurred to me that it wouldn't actually need one as the 'ailerons' on the rear wing would do the job of elevators, and the flaps could be used incrementally to trim the pitch angle perhaps.

And the tailplanes of both kits were used on the BJ of course.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit