McDonnell Douglas DC9-BJ

Started by PR19_Kit, August 30, 2013, 08:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

You may well wonder what I'm going to do with the bits left over from the DC9-60TW. Well the answer is below, the McD DC9-BJ, standing for 'Business Jet' of course.  ;)

With the Lear Jet and the Gulfstream II well ensconced in the sector, McD figured that they could grab a bunch of the action by using existing DC9 components to build a similarly sized jet, being 8-10 seats and with trans-continental range using two turbo-fans, but offering full height in the cabin and considerably more cabin width than the competition. The resulting aircraft used the nose and tail of a standard DC9 with almost no central fuselage section, and wings derived from the tailplane structure of the DC9-30, but with new, shortened tailplanes. As the wings were mounted to the original engine hard points the new smaller engines were mounted directly to the fin structure. The new main landing gear retracted into the fuselage behind the wing, unlike the normal DC9 gear which folded sideways into the belly of the fuselage.

If you believe THAT load of old cobblers you'll believe anything.  ;D :lol:

-----------------------

Obviously it's made from all the bits left over from the 'TW, the nose being glued directly to the tail section and the engine pylons cut down to suit the standard tailplanes pretending to be wings. The tailplanes are just the normal ones shortened (yes I know, it goes against my better nature....) and the engines are mounted to the fin sides, but with much of their exterior stuff removed, together with over half the pylon length to ensure they don't foul the rudder movement. The nose gear will be the standard stuff but I have NO idea what the mains will look like yet, they may end with being bits of wire and SHAR wheels, like my Backyard Hawk of a year or so ago.

So far the main components are only held together with Blu-Tack, as I need to sort out the main gear problem first.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Gosh!  The definitive tall tail / tall tale!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Hobbes

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Gondor

The nose of that reminds me of Snoopy for some reason  :blink:

Great use of leftovers  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Cobra

Very Cool :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: i Almost had a Different Idea What 'BJ' Stood for,But out of Respect for the Mods,Won't Say :-X Your Business Jet looks Almost like it Came from an Episode of 'Thunderbirds'! Great way to Recycle Model Bits :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Keep up the Superb Work :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

Old Wombat

Interesting. The exact antithesis of a PR19_Kit build. :blink:

I was thinking that if you moved the engines down to the top 1/3rd of the fuselage & the wings to the back of the original engine mounts? :-\

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Tried that but the pylons would need to be totally rebuilt to match the increased curve of the fuselage and there's precious little room for the engines in that corner between the fin and the fuselage.

Too late now anyway, I glued all the major parts together last night after a hefty PSR session. Still got to work out how to do the main u/c legs though.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Howard of Effingham

the livery for this one should be fun!

i can't help thinking of one of those 'fractional ownership' companies....
Keeper of George the Cat.

Rheged

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on August 31, 2013, 02:33:56 AM

It couldpossibly  be  one of those "shell" companies that can be traced back, with difficulty, to Air Albion  and/or Prefidious Albion PLC
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Caveman

*gasp* but those wings are short!  :o :blink: :unsure:
secretprojects forum migrant

NARSES2

I can see that attached to a pylon atop a city skyscraper for VTO use al-la Natter - how to get to that important sales meeting before the opposition  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

CSMO

It looks like a B.A.B. (Big-donkey Bird") {name modified by editor}.That was the name of my best friend's father's B-17 back in WW2. Adios, larry.
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on August 31, 2013, 02:33:56 AM

The decal sheet has already been dawn up and it'll be for my ex-employers, MTS Systems Corporation of Eden Prairie, Minnesota. As I already have the logos and the typeface on my laptop it almost designed itself.  ;D

Regards
Kit