McDonnell Douglas DC9-BJ

Started by PR19_Kit, August 30, 2013, 08:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard of Effingham

Keeper of George the Cat.

PR19_Kit

Even as I write the lead-shot noseweight is drying under a coat of aliphatic resin glue while the airframe is nose down in a blob of Blu-Tack. I'd forgotten to add noseweight before I glued it together and had to pour the shot in through an opened out nose wheel bay, NO fun!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 17, 2013, 05:25:00 AM
I'd forgotten to add noseweight before I glued it together and had to pour the shot in through an opened out nose wheel bay, NO fun!  :banghead:

Ha Ha, been there done that. You do have my sympathy Kit.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

The glue's all dried but much of the shot is still loose inside. As the glue has sealed up the access hole this one's going to be a 'Rattler'.  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Howard of Effingham

oh dear!

its still going to be nice to see when its done though!  ;D
Keeper of George the Cat.

Mossie

Awww, cute!  Reminds me of an XF-85, parasite airliner to go under the wing of the -60TW???
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Got fed up with the rattle while doing some PSR on the BJ so I cut the tail door back out, shook all the loose 'lead' shot back into the film can and glued the door back in. And it STILL balances correctly.

RESULT!  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Finally got an initial primer coat on the BJ and then had the almost obligatory PSR session afterward. which went fine. Then I gave it another primer coat and when I checked it this morning it looked as if it had been pebble-dashed!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Something's obviously gone wrong with the primer as the model has a layer of small bumps, about 0.5 mm wide, all over it. So I've just been sanding the whole thing down again, very tedious, but I have a new can of primer handy for the next coat.

Onwards and upwards..............

Regards
Kit

ericr

I can't remeber where I found these pictures on the net, but they might be relevant?

PR19_Kit

Hehehe, I LOVE those two ericr.  :thumbsup:

I've seen the Airbus A3 piccie before  and it's JUST about possible to build one from any of the Revell kits, but what do you with the bits left over?

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

That A3 is just too cute! ;D

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 26, 2013, 02:03:53 AM
I've seen the Airbus A3 piccie before  and it's JUST about possible to build one from any of the Revell kits, but what do you with the bits left over?

I can't believe you're the one asking that question, Kit! :o

The answer is far too obvious - build a bigger one, an A3000, perhaps? ;)

Maybe make it 50% wider & 50% longer? Use the bits from the A3 kit to angle in to the cockpit & tail sections? :-\

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 26, 2013, 03:43:55 AM

I've seen the Airbus A3 piccie before  and it's JUST about possible to build one from any of the Revell kits, but what do you with the bits left over?

Yes Guy, as soon as I hit the 'Enter' button I thought 'You clown, of COURSE you know what to do with the bits!'  ;D

I must admit the Airbus narrow bodies are not my fave small airliners, neither are 737s, but they are VERY adaptable. Perhaps I'll have a go with the couple of A321 kits I have in The Loft.

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 26, 2013, 04:05:30 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on September 26, 2013, 03:43:55 AM

Yes Guy, as soon as I hit the 'Enter' button I thought 'You clown, of COURSE you know what to do with the bits!'  ;D

I must admit the Airbus narrow bodies are not my fave small airliners, neither are 737s, but they are VERY adaptable. Perhaps I'll have a go with the couple of A321 kits I have in The Loft.

I bet you never used the word "clown" either  ;D

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

The BJ's had it's second coat of primer and two coats of Halfords Appliance White plus a coat of Klear. I printed off all the special decals for it and I applied them all tonight. Results below.

I've got to do some NM leading edges and engine intakes and exhausts etc. plus sort out the landing gear, but it's well on the way now.

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Heehee...is that ever cute ! Great stuff

:cheers: :tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?