How many Wellesleys are under way?

Started by Dizzyfugu, September 01, 2013, 11:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Librarian

That would be best. The Matchbox kit may be old but it's still a cracker. I had a happy few days with my son working on the Heyford Revell release. Still a nice kit.

Weaver

Well my idea's blindingly simple and silly - three-engined Wellesley, either with Wellington nacelles added to the existing wings (torpedo bomber) or entire Wellington wings (high-altitude PR, since it's got about 10 ft more span..)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

James

Still never got round to picking up a kit. Always wanted one.

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 02, 2013, 03:00:56 AM
Every Whiffer needs at least one Wellesley in their hangar.  ;D

I would like to get one but am in no hurry.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Rat

One on the bench that's being done OOTB, and the second will be a three-engined job using the spares from the first.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Dizzyfugu

My conversion is already standing on its own feet/landing gear, and made me wonder if some shorter wings (heresy!), e. g. from a SBC2 Helldiver, would make it a nice, carrier-borne torpedo bomber? Mine got a beefier Hercules engine, and that changes the overall already a lot.

NARSES2

Quote from: pyro-manic on September 02, 2013, 09:23:36 AM
Ah, hadn't seen that. Though the top of the page does say "Upcoming in 1:144"? Bit confusing, though I imagine a Wellesley would sell very poorly in 1:144, and the Fury looks to have a 1:72 kit number...

A new kit is very welcome, though Valom tend to be quite expensive. Maybe Revell can be persuaded to re-issue the Matcbox one too...

It's 1/72. The 1/144 refers to the expanding range of WWI types they are doing - 2 to a box.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

1/144th SE5A? Can you imagine trying to do the rigging on that! :blink:

Or, worse, an RE8? :o

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rheged

I've got a Matchbox Wellesley in the stash.  It was going to be a squadron communications aircraft( a hack) in Iran in 1941-2.  It may now gain longer wings and PR blue paint, and be used for ultra-high altitude, long-range  work over the Caucasus. It could even gain temporary Soviet ID whilst on loan from the RAF .
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Librarian

Quote from: Rheged on September 03, 2013, 10:17:25 AM
It may now gain longer wings and PR blue paint, and be used for ultra-high altitude, long-range  work over the Caucasus. It could even gain temporary Soviet ID whilst on loan from the RAF .

Now that sounds superb :thumbsup:. Post soon pliz.

The Rat

Quote from: Librarian on September 03, 2013, 12:33:51 PM
It may now gain longer wings and PR blue paint, and be used for ultra-high altitude, long-range  work over the Caucasus. It could even gain temporary Soviet ID whilst on loan from the RAF .

Agreed!  :cheers:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Rheged

Quote from: The Rat on September 03, 2013, 12:47:08 PM
Quote from: Librarian on September 03, 2013, 12:33:51 PM

Agreed!  :cheers:

l have about three months of real world "stuff" to deal with, so this could well be my main  2014 project.  If anyone else fancies having a go at the concept before I get started, go for it!  I'm not in the slightest territorial about my ideas.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Coming along well Dizzy
Quote from: Old Wombat on September 03, 2013, 09:31:14 AM

Guy

Yup but people do  :banghead: :bow: As for the RE 8, the Airfix one still gives me nightmares. "Built" it as a kid in the late 50's/early 60's ? Getting the top wing to stay on with tube cement was  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Mind you the resulting glue strings probably looked like rigging. I have never been able to look at an RE 8 (real or model) face to face since. I think I have RE8typhopbia
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 04, 2013, 07:24:27 AM
Coming along well Dizzy
Quote from: Old Wombat on September 03, 2013, 09:31:14 AM

Guy

Yup but people do  :banghead: :bow: As for the RE 8, the Airfix one still gives me nightmares. "Built" it as a kid in the late 50's/early 60's ? Getting the top wing to stay on with tube cement was  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Mind you the resulting glue strings probably looked like rigging. I have never been able to look at an RE 8 (real or model) face to face since. I think I have RE8typhopbia

Heh! I don't touch biplanes for the rigging alone (built a few as a kid, Camel, Swordfish, Gladiator, & a couple of other WW1 types I no longer recall, but never rigged them (9/10 year-old's don't in my experience :-\ )) but 1/144th is way out of my league now. Although my aircraft builds here have been 1/72nd, I'm moving to mostly 1/48th just so I can see the bl@@dy things! :banghead:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est