How many Wellesleys are under way?

Started by Dizzyfugu, September 01, 2013, 11:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Defo need to see more of this one ! What's going on the underside ?

:unsure:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on September 06, 2013, 04:53:51 AM
Mmm, shipborne torpedo bomber?  Dare I suggest shortened wings?   :wacko:

HERESY!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I've asked this in my Blog but I'll repeat it here as well.

The Matchbox/Revell kit has 4 small circular panels engraved under the wing - 2 a side. Are they inspection panels as I'm presuming or are they meant to be lights ? I can't find a picture giving a decent view.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TallEng

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 07, 2013, 07:40:48 AM

The Matchbox/Revell kit has 4 small circular panels engraved under the wing - 2 a side. Are they inspection panels as I'm presuming or are they meant to be lights ? I can't find a picture giving a decent view.

I've found a picture   http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205208740
Which I think shows them (at least under the left wing) to be landing lights

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

PR19_Kit

I LOVE the ASV radar on your GRIV Thomas, very 'period' stuff.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: TallEng on September 07, 2013, 11:37:54 AM

Regards
Keith

They do indeed don't they Keith. Many thanks  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 08, 2013, 07:33:25 AM

Regards

Keith

They do indeed don't they Keith. Many thanks  :thumbsup:

They appear in each of the photos and drawings in the Warpaint book.  Suspect they may be of a drop down nature like those seen on the Brooklands Wellington, which can just be made out in this picture..

Which kinda makes sense given the 'shared' designer.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on September 06, 2013, 07:18:22 AM
Quote from: Librarian on September 06, 2013, 05:19:10 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 06, 2013, 04:18:15 AM
One Idea I had is a shipborne torpedo bomber (mentioned above),

Bang on....the B5N Kate bears a lot of similarity, especially in the wingspan.

It does rather resemble a Kate, doesn't it?

The Wellesley is only 2m longer than the Kate, but it has a 7m wider wingspan..... :blink:

I've always seen it as a land-based torpedo bomber replacement for the Wilderbeest. The requirement that Vickers won the contract for (with a biplane)to originally specificed torpedo bombing, but it was dropped when Vickers offered the Wellesley and it was accepted.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on September 08, 2013, 11:02:26 AM
The Wellesley is only 2m longer than the Kate, but it has a 7m wider wingspan..... :blink:

And that's a problem because...........?  ;D ;) :lol:

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 08, 2013, 11:17:39 AM
Quote from: Weaver on September 08, 2013, 11:02:26 AM

And that's a problem because...........?  ;D ;) :lol:

It's a hell of a problem if you're deck crew on a late-'30s carrier and you're a bit taller than average.... ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

Looks awesome ! The additions you've done really look the part.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Regards
Keith

Could be anything, though - also just bare metal covers for something. Looks very flush to me, different from the Matchbox kit engravings. I am (still) not sold on the landing light.

The ASV antennae look a bit shaggy, still trying to adjuts them... ;)

As a side note, AFAIK the Wellesley was originally designed to become a multi-purpose aircraft, including torpedo bomber duties - I just do not know if this had been the case when it was still a doble decker, or in the monoplane phase - and the latter only evolved into the bomber variant with the bombo gondolas under the wings. A torpedo would suit it well, though - could not be slower than a Swordfish... Again, with some shorter wings (ducks, expecting something thrown from PR19_kit), this could look nice!

Beauty pics soon to come (with story, separate post in the aircraft section), but weather and light are bad here, and the huge wing span of the Wellesley brings my photography resources to the edge.  :-\

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 09, 2013, 12:10:21 AM
Again, with some shorter wings (ducks, expecting something thrown from PR19_kit), this could look nice!

Expected response as requested....  ;D

Shorter wings? SHORTER WINGS? No way...........

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Hm, somehow the hangar pics were not loaded here correctly - just see them now. That looks plausible - and will be an addition to my model. Thanks a lot for finding/posting this!  :thumbsup: