How many Wellesleys are under way?

Started by Dizzyfugu, September 01, 2013, 11:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 03, 2013, 07:50:56 AM
Now that is interesting

Yes isn't it --- what is the performace difference between a Wellesley and Swordfish I wonder ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Quote from: Army of One on October 03, 2013, 09:57:51 AM
Seeing some of the creations on here.....I'm beginning to get tempted.....

Go on mate, sure I can "find" you a kit  :rolleyes:

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 03, 2013, 11:08:36 AM
Now that is interesting

Yes isn't it --- what is the performace difference between a Wellesley and Swordfish I wonder ----

I'm thinking of one operating from Malta in the desert scheme. I also wonder how that long wing would behave at low level and at speed - or what counts as speed for a Wellesley ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I can see a Wellesley mini-theme at one show next year perhaps?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 04, 2013, 07:47:20 AM

Now that is interesting

I'm thinking of one operating from Malta in the desert scheme. I also wonder how that long wing would behave at low level and at speed - or what counts as speed for a Wellesley ?

I was thinking an alternative to the Swordfish in the 'Channel Dash' operation ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 04, 2013, 08:13:08 AM
I can see a Wellesley mini-theme at one show next year perhaps?  ;D

Gets my vote.  All I need to do is build my contribution!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Mortal Wombat

Wondering what I'd end up with if I stuck a pair of Wellington wings on a Wellesley and reworked the nose. Extreme-range patrol plane?
Like I said last time, it won't happen again...

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mortal Wombat on October 05, 2013, 03:28:09 AM
Wondering what I'd end up with if I stuck a pair of Wellington wings on a Wellesley and reworked the nose. Extreme-range patrol plane?

I think someone here did that, or tied it anyway. Not sure how the project turned out as I've not seen the results, but it sounds a good idea. Do you keep both the Whimpy's engines?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 04, 2013, 08:27:06 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on October 04, 2013, 07:47:20 AM

Now that is interesting

I was thinking an alternative to the Swordfish in the 'Channel Dash' operation ----

I can see that, not sure how the results would have been affected, but I can see it  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 05, 2013, 04:35:57 AM

I think someone here did that, or tied it anyway. Not sure how the project turned out as I've not seen the results, but it sounds a good idea. Do you keep both the Whimpy's engines?

I can see this! Keep the Wimpy Pegasus XVIII engines & replace the Wellesley engine with another Pegasus XVIII (upgraded to Hercules  III/XI later), fit a dorsal turret (B-P Type A/FN50?) & increase the crew to 3 (pilot, navigator & gunner). I can see it as a land-based torpedo bomber carrying one mid-line torpedo supplemented by 1,000/2,000 lbs of bombs under the wings, or 2 torpedoes (under the fuselage/wings?). Might look a bit Italian to RN & army AA gunners, though.

Just need a Halifax/Lancaster you don't need the mid-upper turret for to give you the turret, maybe "fit" 2x/4x .303" Brownings in the wings, too. As a torpedo bomber you wouldn't need/want a tail-gun.

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Father Ennis

DAMN !!!  You have made me want one,now !!!  Can anybody hook me up with one ???   I mean, what more can you ask for ??????   A weird 30'ish British aircraft !!!   Send me a PM and we can deal, besides my stash has out grown my closest space ...

The Big Gimper

I have two (yes, I know that's one over the permitted limit and that I am selfish hoarder  :wacko: ).

They will be US built under license as the Martin Montana. You know, blue sky, long range, big sky country.  :rolleyes:  

The first will be the Martin OSM. USN scout and formation leader for F4Fs. Wright R-2600 from an Airfix B-25, TBF canopy as it it will have a tandem cockpit with two pilots. F4F drops tanks as the R-2600 is a thirsty engine.

The second the a USAAC O-48A. R-2600 with a power turret like Dizzyfugu did with his GR. Mk. IV.

There two on Ebay right now.
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

Army of One

Oh......my passing interest is now growing........damn.....where I get one......???
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 05, 2013, 04:35:57 AM

Yes, a triplane! When you use both Matchbox kits it might even be possible to implant the Wellie's engine nacelles onto the Wellesley wings? You just need another Hercules engine for the nose...  ;) The result should look interesting, though.

Army of One

Woohoo......got one...!!!! Now, what to do with it.......?? I had a thought when I first posted about getting one..it would involve a sub hunter based in Malta.......I had wanted to fit a hurricane Mk II nose onto it obviously giving it more power........the wings seem capable of carrying the load out I want ( an S-gun and four rail RP launcher under each wing, gun inboard but obv firing o/s the prop disc and the rails outboard) but could it handle the recoil of the guns.....?? I had thought about an upper turret with a 20mm cannon so it could circle at a reasonable distance and fire on the target.......things gonna need antenna as well for surface search radar (?)
It will be cobbled together from a wrecked Wellesley and Hurricane........both found on Malta....dunno where the radar I'll come from.......yet
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

The Big Gimper

First cuts of Styrene:

The engine just "slipped" on.  I also cut down the fuselage to install a TBF canopy. This was a real pain as the Wellesley has two engine option so I had to trim and align 4 separate pieces. I will improve the cockpit by adding a 2nd tandem pilot and external tanks at later date, the rest will be an OOB build.

I think I'll flip the engine 180 degrees.
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff