Rogue Trooper Hoppers

Started by Weaver, September 07, 2013, 08:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

I always liked these anti-grav flyers from the Rogue Trooper strip in 2000AD. Had another look today, and noticed that there were a lot more scans from the relevant episodes on the web, so I've put together this montage. Hopefully I'll build one of these at some point.

(Note: 2000AD probably own the copyright on all these images and I'm using them for comment, not personal gain).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mr.Creak

I've got most of the Rogue Trooper collected volumes, I could scan more pics and send you them if you want.
IIRC (it's a while since I last read it) they were called Hoppers (or Hoppas in the game).
They featured heavily (and firstly, I think) in the story line The Marauders.
What if... I had a brain?

Green Dragon

Started bashing one in the 80's from a Matchbox AH-1 Huey Cobra but never finished it. Like it lots!

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Weaver

Quote from: Mr.Creak on September 07, 2013, 08:57:04 PM
I've got most of the Rogue Trooper collected volumes, I could scan more pics and send you them if you want.
IIRC (it's a while since I last read it) they were called Hoppers (or Hoppas in the game).
They featured heavily (and firstly, I think) in the story line The Marauders.

Thanks, but I've got the original comics somewhere up in the loft - all I have to do is dig them out!
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Army of One

I seem to remember them as 'atmo craft' as well. Remember a fantastically drawn episode by Colin Wilson involving a downed/derelict space craft....this from the original Rogue Trooper and not the new one grittier one where he wears body armour and is called Friday or is that one of his buddies....I know Helm, Bagmanand Gunnar from the original.....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Librarian

My boy's just starting reading the graphic novels...Colin Wilson and Cam Kennedy were two of my all time favourite artists. Colin had dealings with Star Wars prods....anyone else notice the similarity between that gunship of his and the clone ship that came along twenty years later. He also did some fantastic one off stories for 2000ad, one was definitely an inspiration for The Matrix.

Army of One

Oh yeah.....definitely a family resemblance... I love the work of them two artists....!!!
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Librarian

Don't want to go off thread but if you haven't read Cam Kennedy's "Light and Darkness War" (a six part miniseries) then now is the time :thumbsup:. Quite cheap to pick up, even on Eeeebygumbay.

Army of One

I'll look that up.......cheers...... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Weaver

Just tidied up the montage for posting on Twitter:

- Indiana Jones

Army of One

I now have some surplus parts......these involve various AH1's and some A10's........ I think this is a great basis for a similar vehicle, it won't be exact copy of the comic version but be very similar.......
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Weaver

It's surprisingly difficult to copy the comic version exactly. You look at it and think "oh, it's an AH-1", but all the bits are actually subtly different. For instance, the AH-1's canopy sill is a straight line, but on the hopper, it's stepped. The belly turret looks straight off a WWII bomber, but it's actually much too small, the rocket pods are WAY bigger than real FFAR pods etc...

One thing that I think does have potential is the RAH-66 Commanche. I think it's angled sides would make it easier to blend in the troop compartment  and the fact that it's gun is in a fairing below the fuselage nose makes it easier to remove.

Another useful kit might be Italeri's whiff-in-a-box tandem-seat Ka-50 'Hokum'. It looks 'gunshippy' but isn't over-specific to a well-known type.

- Indiana Jones

Army of One

Agreed......i was thinking RAH66 as well......briefly considered Stingbat but not slab sided......if i do attempt it i doubt I'd include the 3 gunner stations......just the belly turret......Wanted to do something like this for years.......
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Quote from: Weaver on June 01, 2016, 03:27:39 PM
It's surprisingly difficult to copy the comic version exactly. You look at it and think "oh, it's an AH-1", but all the bits are actually subtly different. For instance, the AH-1's canopy sill is a straight line, but on the hopper, it's stepped. The belly turret looks straight off a WWII bomber, but it's actually much too small, the rocket pods are WAY bigger than real FFAR pods etc...

First thought that came to me was an OV-10 Harold, specifically the YOV-10D --- you could modify the canopy to look just like the pic very easily I think plus you would also have the high wing and rear end of the fuselage without too much bashing, turret is already in place and the twin booms could be the mounts for the engines
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike