Fatso Goering's Flying Circus - Lindberg Fw.190D(x2).

Started by CSMO, September 11, 2013, 07:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSMO

In World War One, the Red Baron led a unit of brightly colored fighters that were popularly called the "Flying Circus". In 1944, Hermann Goering decided to do his old mentor one better. He designated JG.54 (Green Hearts) as the new Flying Circus. He had their airplanes painted in the current operational style of camouflage patterns, but in the most garish color combinations possible. I had a pair of 1965 Lindberg Doras gifted to me, so I came up with this bright idea. Both are built OOB, gear up and are mounted on coat-hanger wire. The decals came from the scrap-box. The base is plywood painted to resemble the box art from one of the old Polish Glider kits. The label is printed on my PC. The leader is painted French Blue and Lime Green over Pink with a Turquoise mottle. The wingman is painted International Orange, and Purple over Lemon Yellow with a Bright Green mottle. Both models are brush-painted with Pactra, Testors, Humbrol, & Xtracolor paints. The base is painted with acrylic craft paints from Wal-Mart. I have gotten a pretty good giggle over how this turned out. I suspect that Allied pilots would have laughed their buttocks off when saw them.
Adios, Larry.

"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

NARSES2

I've often thought about WWII aircraft in WWI colours. Glad to see someone had the same thoughts  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

CSMO

Like the new-tool Airfix fabric wing Hurricance Mk.I in PC.10 over clear doped linen with a natural metal cowling  and roundels with a white ring around them and rudder stripes? Thank you. You have planted a seed. Adios, Larry.
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

lancer

If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Weaver

Ouch! Perfect camouflage: no one can look at them for long enough to take aim..... ;D

Great idea - nice one!  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Leading Observer

Was I the only one that started looking behind the Doras at the titles on the bookshelf? :unsure:
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Captain Canada

Nice idea and execution ! I'm sure bewilderment would have been the mindset of seeing these in the sky....it would only be laughable if you had the equipment to down them ;-)

PS-they blend in with the bookshelf very well  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

dumaniac

wow - nice colours

still thinking about my 109 biplane in lozenge

nice going

NARSES2

Quote from: CSMO on September 11, 2013, 07:54:59 AM
Like the new-tool Airfix fabric wing Hurricance Mk.I in PC.10 over clear doped linen with a natural metal cowling  and roundels with a white ring around them and rudder stripes? Thank you. You have planted a seed. Adios, Larry.

Yup but do the cowling in grey rather then natural metal  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.