USAF Thunderbirds F-106

Started by Ed S, September 12, 2013, 07:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed S

In the late 60's, the Thunderbirds began looking to replace their F-100's. At the time, the Chief of Staff knew the Navy was planning to change to the Phantom for the Blue Angels.  He basically told his staff that under no circumstances would the Thunderbirds use a Navy airplane. He wanted a Air Force airplane.  So several types were trialed.  The F-106 was selected as the Thunderbirds new mount.

d

I just finished this for the Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda group build over on BTS. It was built out of the box. The only change was to close up the missile bay. The doors didn't fit very well when closed. It took some putty to make it fit flush.  The kit is the Hasegawa1/72 f-106.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Captain Canada

Oh yeah...could you imagine ? Was lucky enough to see them in F-5s, Phantoms and F-16s....but this would have been awesome ! Just something about those ( overpriced ) Hasegawa kits....canopy ? I remember paying almost $30 for a Crusader and it looked pure crap.....anyway, where I was heading with that was it's a perfect excuse to do another with the $10 dollar 48Th scale Monogram kit  :thumbsup:

Nice one, Ed !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

Dizzyfugu

Nice! I assume that the TB livery was applied manually/painted? I know there's an aftermarket sheet for such an aircraft out there, but yours looks like a true "home-made" work(?). Anyway, well done - an elegant bird with an appropraiate livery. Looks much better than a TB F-4, IMHO.  :thumbsup:

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

bobbo

. . . I think I'm in love . . .

bobbo

PR19_Kit

Ed, that's a MASTERPIECE!  :thumbsup: :bow:

I love your thinking about how the USAF should have done it, and the Six would have made a superb T'bird too. Why ever didn't they do it?

I saw the F4-E T'birds at an RAF Upper Heyford open day in the 70s and they were VERY loud, but took the entire county to make a 180 deg turn!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

I like it also.  Looks like it must have taken lots of time cutting tape to outline the paint.  Well done.  I am a big fan of the six.  Turn radius and energy bleeding would be an issue for a T-bird show, but what a sight and sound it would have been!  
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Quote from: sandiego89 on September 13, 2013, 06:08:38 AM... but what a sight and sound it would have been!  

Something like this perhaps-
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

lancer

That is a very very very nice looking machine Ed. Always liked the '106
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Captain Canada

Great formation shot ! Never seen that one before....awesome !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

That Six formation must have sounded AWESOME!  :thumbsup:

Sadly I've never set eyes on one, even in a museum.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 13, 2013, 03:09:20 PM

Time to pack your bags and hop across the pond.  I saw a few fly years ago. I can spend a long time looking at 106's on the ground- very neat lines and impressive. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on September 13, 2013, 05:51:34 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 13, 2013, 03:09:20 PM

Time to pack your bags and hop across the pond.  I saw a few fly years ago. I can spend a long time looking at 106's on the ground- very neat lines and impressive. 

I'd have to sell most of the contents of The Loft to be able to afford it I'm afraid. Unless I win the Lottery I've already made my last trip to the US.  :angry:

Regards
Kit