unconventional float planes or flying boats

Started by McColm, September 14, 2013, 12:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knightflyer

Just noticed the RATO units at the rear end!

Maybe a couple of Saturn 5s would be more useful!  :-\ :o ;) ;D
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

NARSES2

Thanks for those comparison profiles Scoot  :thumbsup: My brain can now imagine it and it's just  :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

What were they on ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 13, 2014, 07:21:18 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 12, 2014, 08:20:13 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 12, 2014, 07:25:31 AM
Japanese Secret Projects Vol 2 which I got at Telford

Has it been released? I have one on order, but only got a "delayed" notice... Hope I get mine delivered soon!  :party:

Yes. I bought mine at Telford

Checked my order for it - has been updated to ETA Jan/Feb 2015...  :-\

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 14, 2014, 06:45:46 AM
Thanks for those comparison profiles Scoot  :thumbsup: My brain can now imagine it and it's just  :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

What were they on ?

LOTS of saki I imagine!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Then there is that most infamous of fakes, the Krupp-Germania K.s.1b.  ;D
Span of 978' powered by 24 1675hp engines with a ship style armoured belt
in the fuselage.
;D

PR19_Kit

24 engines and only two props? It must have had the MOTHER of all gearboxes to handle that load of torque!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 14, 2014, 06:53:07 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 13, 2014, 07:21:18 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 12, 2014, 08:20:13 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 12, 2014, 07:25:31 AM
Japanese Secret Projects Vol 2 which I got at Telford

Has it been released? I have one on order, but only got a "delayed" notice... Hope I get mine delivered soon!  :party:

Yes. I bought mine at Telford

Checked my order for it - has been updated to ETA Jan/Feb 2015...  :-\

That's a pig Dizzy. I saw it in our local Waterstones bookshop yesterday so it's definitely been released.

On a similar issue. Amazon e-mailed me re the imminent publication of Tony Butler's US Secret projects of WII. They are still saying 7 days on their site but talking to Tony at Telford it's been delayed until late Spring 2015 (approx.) because of the recent take over of the aviation titles and consequent reshuffling of publication dates. Amazon have got a nasty habit of promising things they haven't got yet. In all fairness with everything they deal in it will be difficult to keep tabs but when it effects you (and I've had a couple of disappointments with them) it just grates and sticks in your mind for the future.

Personally I now work on the basis that unless I can save +£5.01 I will buy in a bookshop.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Diamondback

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 15, 2014, 02:30:21 AMOn a similar issue. Amazon e-mailed me re the imminent publication of Tony Butler's US Secret projects of WII. They are still saying 7 days on their site but talking to Tony at Telford it's been delayed until late Spring 2015 (approx.) because of the recent take over of the aviation titles and consequent reshuffling of publication dates. Amazon have got a nasty habit of promising things they haven't got yet. In all fairness with everything they deal in it will be difficult to keep tabs but when it effects you (and I've had a couple of disappointments with them) it just grates and sticks in your mind for the future.
Apologies for going offtopic, but that tees up a pet peeve...

Sadly, that seems to be the way of large chain booksellers now... I'm having an ongoing war with Barnes & Noble over a Nook edition of the next volume in a series that are key references for a research contract... Seaforth Publishing has EPUB and Kindle editions already available, B&N... well, each points fingers at the other. What was the point of them doing Nook editions of the first two volumes of British Warships in the Age of Sail if they weren't gonna see it through? It's like "Do you have ANYBODY there that can find their head with their arse, both hands and the whole damn Keyhole spysat network?!"

McColm

The Blackburn Beverly would make a great seaplane with so many options available. Change the wings or change the engines. The fuselage could do with a stretch as well. Must have been huge in the Real World. Reminds me of the Globemaster I. A maritime version would be worth Whiffing. Sanger do a vacform kit and there is the resin in 1/72. There are 1/144 kits as well.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on December 11, 2014, 11:38:44 AM
Must have been huge in the Real World.

That's for sure, I've flown quite a few hours in them, one reason why I'm so deaf I expect.....

Regards
Kit

McColm

Got my hands of a copy of "Convair Advanced Designs, Secret Projects from San Diego 1923-1962" by Robert E.Bradley 2010.
The Seaplane Programs not only cover the military aircraft but their civvie equivalent. The Model 29 (1937% PB2Y Coronado. A four and twin engines studies.
The flying wings remind me of the XB-35 with a tail added from a Supper Constellation added with two enormous floats under the wings.
Other designs look very similar to the Boeing C-97 with a shoulder mounted wing and a bolt-on hull.
Seems to me if they designed a land based aircraft then there was a flying boat alternative. Even the XC-99 or Model 37 (1945). Pan American World Airways had ordered 15 commercial passenger versions of this type.

McColm

I wonder why I didn't think of this sooner, a float plane version of the Northrop Grumman E-2C/D Hawkeye. Or even three fuselages , two used as floats and the third raised above with the wings and engines.

MaxHeadroom

Comparing the CANT Z.511's hull to a Focke-Wulf FW 200 "Condor", I have to ask: who has copied whom?
Anyway; both are elegant planes.

To the Kawanishi KX-3: is this a fake, is it real? Sources of the www seems not sure (or is my english not good enough to understand?).
Anyway: the drawing of the KX-3 looks real "japanese" because of the design, and I think, it fits into WWII's japanese thinking.
If the project was real: aren't there any "surviving" blueprints or sketches?

Norbert

McColm

scooter

Quote from: MaxHeadroom on January 15, 2015, 11:41:13 AM
To the Kawanishi KX-3: is this a fake, is it real? Sources of the www seems not sure (or is my english not good enough to understand?).
Anyway: the drawing of the KX-3 looks real "japanese" because of the design, and I think, it fits into WWII's japanese thinking.
If the project was real: aren't there any "surviving" blueprints or sketches?

Norbert

From what I've seen in the interwebz, it never got past being a design study for the IJN for a 500t class flying boat
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng