unconventional float planes or flying boats

Started by McColm, September 14, 2013, 12:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

An idea just came to me about adding two PBY-5 Catalinas one under each wing of a Lockheed Constellation.
The Catalina wings and engines won't be used nor will the tail, but the undercarriage legs will.
The undercarriage landing gear from the Connie won't be needed either..

Tophe

Interesting project! Congratulations for having invented it! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Old Wombat

Quote from: McColm on May 31, 2016, 08:48:56 AM
An idea just came to me about adding two PBY-5 Catalinas one under each wing of a Lockheed Constellation.
The Catalina wings and engines won't be used nor will the tail, but the undercarriage legs will.
The undercarriage landing gear from the Connie won't be needed either..

Hmmmm?! Is this "instead of" or "as well as" the Sunderland idea?

Both sound interesting & good! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

McColm

A pair of Sunderlands could work if you had the room in 1/72 scale although depending on the model manufacturer the 1/144 scale kits are roughly the same price.
I've tried several methods of building an amphibious Connie using floats and the layout of the Dornier Do24A.

DarrenP2

sunderland fitted with Rolls Royce tynes or Darts would be interesting

kitnut617

Quote from: DarrenP2 on June 02, 2016, 01:07:13 PM
sunderland fitted with Rolls Royce tynes or Darts would be interesting

Erm! you were saying ----

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

Nice one Robert ! Did you ever get any farther with it ?

:bow:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

No Todd, another of those that got shelved as I came up with other project ideas.  I really should get these finished ----   :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

What happened was I wanted to detail the insides of the fuselage to show the water tanks as it was to be a water bomber. It was then to be used as a freighter when not fire fighting so I'm going to cut out a side door which would show all that, but I needed a nice detailed cargo floor to put into it but didn't have one. But I might now as I've found a website which has detail parts for a C-135 or something like that.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

Sure does lol. I have the same problem. Everything I start becomes more and more involved until it ends up shelved !

:banghead:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

RAFF-35

I really really want to do a flying boat for my next build, but I'm finding it difficult to pinpoint a starting kit and an application, whether it should be SAR or smuggling, reconnaissance or torpedo bomber?????? Any suggestions?  ;D
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

zenrat

Sky Pirate.  Watch Porco Rosso for inspiration.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

ericr

Quote from: zenrat on June 04, 2016, 06:03:19 PM
Sky Pirate.  Watch Porco Rosso for inspiration.

Porco Rosso really is an ultimate source of inspiration for imaginary seaplanes, especially flying boats

RAFF-35

They all look really cool designs, but I was thinking of more of a deal world type whiff  :lol:
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up