unconventional float planes or flying boats

Started by McColm, September 14, 2013, 12:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martinbayer

How about a flying boat with a nuclear rocket engine that could bring 10.000 tons payload per flight into low Earth orbit - a.k.a. the Aldebaran: http://nextbigfuture.com/2013/08/in-praise-of-large-payloads-for-space.html

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

McColm

Hi Guys,
I know where I've been going wrong with my planned builds, the wing needs to be shoulder mounted. Rather than rig something up why not use a kit that has a high wing, hence the B-47.
As you know I'll be using the engines on other builds. By moving the new engines above the wings/fuselageie CFMs on pylons or Speys from an BAe Nimrod kit. Creating a T-tail at the rear, a raid in the spares bin for wing tip floats. A new cockpit built either from a S-3 Viking or F-111. The landing will be used on the kitbashed Mach2 Valiant AEW (Bison look-a-like).
If I can finish this in time, it's going to Hendon, as the PB-47 Seajet.

Daryl J.

One could turn 1/72 BD-5 kits upside down and the entire fuselage could become the floats for some entirely different aircraft.

McColm

Just had a thought of adding floats from the Spitfire float plane conversion kit and add them to the Airfix Lockheed U-2 kit.  I could raid the spares bin for two wing tip tanks from an F-104 kit .

kitnut617

How many floats are you planning to put on it ?

Mk.V Spit Max' take-off weight 6700 lbs
U-2 Max' take-off weight 40,000 lbs
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

Two under each wing and one to keep the tail pipe out of the water.

kitnut617

Diamondback

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 11, 2014, 04:15:51 PM
You'd need six ---
Off-th-cuff answer: Cut and splice end-to-end, so you have three doubles. Almost same displacement.

Of course, not being intimate with details of Spit floats, it may be a good bit more complex... LOL

McColm

Those floats are just the right size for what I have in mind.

kitnut617

Quote from: Diamondback on April 11, 2014, 04:20:12 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on April 11, 2014, 04:15:51 PM
You'd need six ---
Off-th-cuff answer: Cut and splice end-to-end, so you have three doubles. Almost same displacement.

Of course, not being intimate with details of Spit floats, it may be a good bit more complex... LOL

You'd be better off getting some 1/48 scale Spit' floats, that might be about the right size. But still using three of them mind ---  Out of interest, the empty weight of a U-2 is the same as 'two' fully loaded Spitfires, plus a bit

Captain Canada

Quote from: McColm on April 11, 2014, 03:40:56 PM
Two under each wing and one to keep the tail pipe out of the water.

2 under each wing and one under the tail equals 5  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Don't you hate it when reality interrupts your dreams?
I was thinking about putting a Wyvern on floats until I looked up what they weigh.
The usual quote is "weighs the same as a DC3" which isn't strictly true, but it's close.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

Quote from: zenrat on April 15, 2014, 03:51:04 AM
Don't you hate it when reality interrupts your dreams?
I was thinking about putting a Wyvern on floats until I looked up what they weigh.
The usual quote is "weighs the same as a DC3" which isn't strictly true, but it's close.

And you can get DC-3 floats too  ------

Which I've also put on this one;

McColm