unconventional float planes or flying boats

Started by McColm, September 14, 2013, 12:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

That bottom pic looks interesting Kitnut.  What is it?

I investigated the DC3 floats for a Wyvern but IIRC they'd be longer than the plane itself.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

It's a Dash-8, only I flipped the engines to the top of the wing, then flipped the exhaust area back to it's original way around.  It will eventually have Hawkeye props fitted.  Going to be in Canadian Coast Guard Red scheme --  The float pylons are actually Chipmunk wings.

I thought I had posted a pic of this one in this thread too, but it seems I haven't.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

Robert's  upside-down-engined-float-plane-Dash-8.......appearing half finished at forums near you since 2006  :thumbsup:

Sorry, couldn't resist !

;D
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

I was actually looking at it last weekend Todd, I had a look inside the box it's been stored in since the house move in 2007 just to check if it survived the trip.  I'll have to get some of these projects finished ---   :banghead: :banghead:

McColm

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on April 16, 2014, 11:00:54 AM
I might try a Avro Shackleton with floats.

You'll need some SERIOUS floats for that! Like those monsters on Robert's float Lanc above.

I did a floatplane C-47C as well and I had to lengthen a pair of Aeroclub's largest vacforms by over an inch!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 17, 2014, 04:59:21 AM
Quote from: McColm on April 16, 2014, 11:00:54 AM
I might try a Avro Shackleton with floats.

You'll need some SERIOUS floats for that! Like those monsters on Robert's float Lanc above.

I did a floatplane C-47C as well and I had to lengthen a pair of Aeroclub's largest vacforms by over an inch!

I was going to do a Lancaster Floatplane but couldn't find a set of floats for it, they were either a bit too small or a bit too big.  But then I found that the bigger floats worked for the Shackleton which is what I used Kit.  But that was even made bigger, I lengthened the rear fuselage by 1-1/2" and the wing span by 1-1/4".  The idea was to make it look like a transition between the Lancaster and Shackleton so I call it a Nottingham.  There's a thread on the forum somewhere ---

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 15, 2014, 05:31:29 AM

And you can get DC-3 floats too  ------

Well, I'd assume that a Wyvern on THESE floats would certainly look a bit odd...  :party:

kitnut617

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 17, 2014, 06:09:12 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on April 15, 2014, 05:31:29 AM

And you can get DC-3 floats too  ------

Well, I'd assume that a Wyvern on THESE floats would certainly look a bit odd...  :party:

Yes they would   :lol:  although it is a good idea ---  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

A Wyvern on ONE big float in the middle might look quite good?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Which ever the way to go, and as the ship guys know, it's all about displacement  ---- a float will only support so much weight if it's displacement isn't enough. Which is why whenever I see someones project on floats I almost always look at it if it's practical or not.  And you have to work it out to the Max' weight, not the empty weight and you work it out to the water line too ----

KJ_Lesnick

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 16, 2014, 05:34:20 AM
That's like an Avro Lincoln with some streamlining features, new engine-nacelles, contra-rotating props and pontoons right?

Can I try and see if I can get a drawing done around that concept... that would have made an interesting WW2 WHIF: Imagine a Lincoln had it been built with the following

- Merlins or Griffon's with Contra-rotating props
- Twin stage, three-speed, superchargers
- Exhaust pipes to maximize exhaust thrust (this was done with some planes at least)
- Some streamlining as shown
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

kitnut617

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on April 19, 2014, 05:39:44 AM
That's like an Avro Lincoln with some streamlining features, new engine-nacelles, contra-rotating props and pontoons right?

The build is here.
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,16956.0/highlight,nottingham.html

I used a 1/72 Shackleton as a base, I then used Aeroclub's Shackleton MR2 conversion for some of it, Flightpath's Lincoln nose, an Airfix Lancaster tail turret with the Flightpath .5's conversion, scratch-built engine nacelles (which were designed for either Napier Sabre [GR1] or RR Eagle [GR2 - this one] which are both 24 cylinder H engines), and then some Aeroclub Wyvern props. Floats came from a 1/24 Spitfire (suitably modified)

Rheged

It's a sort  of Shacklincoln........and eminently whiffworthy
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kitnut617

The GB I had entered it in, it was selected by my peers as the winner, something I'm immensely proud of.