unconventional float planes or flying boats

Started by McColm, September 14, 2013, 12:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 19, 2014, 09:03:59 AM
The GB I had entered it in, it was selected by my peers as the winner, something I'm immensely proud of.

Understandable mate, terrific build  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

Just had a thought, the Boeing B-17 would look good as a floatplane either military or civie colours. Could get away with the same floats as used on the Ju-52.

zenrat

Quote from: McColm on May 30, 2014, 07:34:16 PM
Just had a thought, the Boeing B-17 would look good as a floatplane either military or civie colours. Could get away with the same floats as used on the Ju-52.

Hate to tell you but that depends on how much you are willing to suspend reality.
Ju 52 Empty weight 4000 Kg
B 17 Empty weight 16000 Kg

Maybe if you filled the floats with Helium or vacuum?

When the aircraft gets over a certain size I feel that separate floats start to look too "stuck on" and the only real solution is to extend the fuselage down into a hull with either Dornier style sponsons or wing mounted stabilisers.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Not to mention counterproductive!

The added drag from the floats would seriously degrade airspeed & manoeuvrability, extending the fuselage down into a planing hull (probably with outrigger floats, as that was more common on Allied aircraft, possibly raising up into the end of the wing, as per the PBY Catalina) would do the same but to a much smaller degree.

Now, a B-17 based flying boat might be interesting, too! ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

I am attracted to the concept of B-17 plus PBY.
Basically remove the wing of the PBY but retain the pylon it sits on, slice the vertical tail off at the relevant height, stretch the hull just after the step and glue the result onto the bottom of the B-17.
Next fill the gap between the fuselage & hull with sheet material & filler losing the ball & chin turrets from the B-17 but retaining the PBY's blisters & nose turret.
Finally reshape the tips of the B-17 wings to match the PBY floats.
Use the right model of PBY and you could even have an amphibian.
If you felt the resulting Fortalina was under gunned then replace the PBY nose turret with a second B-17 dorsal turret and the blisters with a pair of ball turrets mounted upside down.
And of course we're now back to the discussion about where the bombs come out of from a seaplane bomber...

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Bomb bay doors on top of fuselage and perform a roll as you pass over the dropping point?  :unsure:
Fred

PR19_Kit

Sunderlands, Mariners and Seamasters all had solutions to that problem, and all worked quite well too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

Until you end up with a dented nuke on the flight deck! :blink:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

McColm

The P-51 Mustang is another project to ponder. Even the XP-82, Mustang twin. Might try this in 1/48 scale.

rickshaw

Quote from: pyro-manic on May 31, 2014, 03:07:00 PM
Until you end up with a dented nuke on the flight deck! :blink:

They also tended to suck the nuke along once it was released in flight.   :banghead:

However, as we're talking about a flying boat, the shock of a catapult launch isn't a real concern.  The drag problem isn't also a concern as the flying boat won't be flying fast enough.   A tail chute has the advantage it's exit can be above the water line and easily sealed.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

jcf

Quote from: zenrat on May 31, 2014, 01:30:37 AM
When the aircraft gets over a certain size I feel that separate floats start to look too "stuck on" and the only real solution is to extend the fuselage down into a hull with either Dornier style sponsons or wing mounted stabilisers.

Really? Personally, I've always found the largest floatplane actualy built, the CANT Z.511, to be rather elegant.

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/sww2/z511.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CANT_Z.511

Logan Hartke

I have top agree completely on the CANT Z.511. Gorgeous airplane.

Cheers,

Logan