unconventional float planes or flying boats

Started by McColm, September 14, 2013, 12:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: McColm on June 02, 2014, 07:47:24 PM
There was an Australian company that came up with the idea of mounting floats on a C-130. This didn't get passed the quarter scale test model...

I'd envision something like an overlarge zodiac inflatable that you'd either taxi the plane up into and them raise the undercarriage or drive over while flat and then inflate.  Design it right and you' have an amphibian.

7/8 of the worlds surface is water and that figure is only increasing.  Boatplanes make more sense as sea levels rise.
How will the residents of all these pacific islands that are getting smaller going to get emergency relief if not from massive jet seaplanes?

Or Ekranoplans.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Or, as a close relative of the Ekranoplan, the EKIP:

"The Russian EKIP/Tarielka.
The ECIP, or Tarielka as it is affectionately known, is based of the aerodynamic hunch that a single flying wing is more efficient than today's aircraft. Designer Lev Shukin and engineer Alexander Sobko have minimised all external structures leaving only stubby wings and fins for control. Even the engines have been moved inside the cabin to keep the craft as streamlined as possible. The shape of the fuselage provides 80% of the lift. Jet intakes suck air that is then blasted out the back to provide thrust or downward like a hovercraft to create a cushion of air which does away with the need for landing gear. Scale prototypes have flown some what erratically, but have performed well enough to prove for the refinement of the ECIP to continue."

PR19_Kit

The jet powered Beriev A-40,still has no orders for production.

The smaller Beriev Be-200 Altair is in production now, and that can be a fire bomber, a cargo aircraft or a passenger carrier, but not all at the same time AFAIK. It's not quite as good looking as the wonderful Albatross, but has a similar arrangement of engines, hull and flying surfaces. A Model even do a 1/144 kit of it, one of which was the last kit I actually bought.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Quote from: zenrat on June 03, 2014, 03:21:45 AM
There was an Australian company that came up with the idea of mounting floats on a C-130. This didn't get passed the quarter scale test model...

I'd envision something like an overlarge zodiac inflatable that you'd either taxi the plane up into and them raise the undercarriage or drive over while flat and then inflate.  Design it right and you' have an amphibian.

7/8 of the worlds surface is water and that figure is only increasing.  Boatplanes make more sense as sea levels rise.
How will the residents of all these pacific islands that are getting smaller going to get emergency relief if not from massive jet seaplanes?

Or Ekranoplans.

I'm kitbashing a 1/72 C-130 fuselage to the skirt of the Airfix 1/144  Hovercraft. The wings are from a Italeri 1/72 AC-199K Gunship. Making it a twin boom with resin turboprops from the Heritage Aviation Models Limited Dakota conversion.
The build shows the skirt inflated. Just needs painting and a little work on the loading ramp.

zenrat

A Hoverherc.  Nice idea.

The EKIP looks very Sci Fi.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

McColm

What about the Grumman Tracker? Its small enough to be fitted floats and in the COD layout a civvie light floatplane or small commuter or cargo aircraft.
Change the engines if the Royal Navy version is to be built with a pair of Griffons.
For me a Screwtop from the E-2C. I know there is a Falcon triple conversion in vacform and the Mach2 kit but after the fiasco with the Atlantique and the slightly better Valiant. I'll give Mach2 a miss for now.

kitnut617

Quote from: McColm on June 09, 2014, 12:08:10 PM
What about the Grumman Tracker?

Well, it's max' take-off weight is about the same as the DC-3, so floats from that would work (see reply #88)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

McColm

Came across the Russian Myasischev M-4 Bison, apparently there was a flying boat proposal known as the 3M-M.
AModel 1/72 3M-D tanker AMU01472 :(£173.70),
                       3M-T 'Atlant' oversized cargo version AMU01572 :(£205.50),
                       3M-T with the Buran Space Shuttle AMU09972 :(£195.99)

Anigrand 1/144 M-6 Bison C AA-40242 (£74.99)

kerick

The Beriev Be-200 Altair is one nice looking aircraft. Amazing how well the boat hull and fuselage is blended together. I don't know why more of these types are not used for SAR. It seems to make a very good water bomber.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

McColm

Hi Guys,
I'm surprised that the Beechcraft/Beech 200 King Air hasn't been fitted with floats either in civvie street or military.
I could only find the Mach2 1/72 kits MACH7248 three blade turboprop King Air/C-12 and the RC-12K four blade turboprop Electronic Warfare MACH7249.
Not too sure if there is a maritime surveillance version or SAR, but add some floats and you can build as many types as you like.
Don't know if RVHP are still selling there range of kits, as they seem to be the better kit.
RarePlanes do a 1/72 Super King in vacform.

Green Dragon

There are Maritime Patrol/SAR versions of the SKA 200 but no float-equipped variants IIRC.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

McColm

ericr

great thread  ;D

have you seen the VV-4 by Modlesvit? I just ordered one : unresistable ...

The Rat

Quote from: McColm on October 26, 2014, 02:11:55 AM
Thanks Paul,
I think Canada uses them.

There are some listed on the Air Force inventory as trainers, operated by Bombardier. None with the Canadian Coast Guard as far as I know.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr