F-111 X-plus

Started by silverwindblade, September 14, 2013, 01:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverwindblade

So, necromancy, go!
Now that the light is back in the evenings, so is my modelling. Me and my lady have sorted out some hobby space in our spare room, and I've begun to put it to some good use, and get my projects back underway.

With no further ado, here's some of the work I've done:

I went for a digital take on the RAAF/SEA type camo, as that fits what's described in the story (as far as I remember...) with a grey belly and a significant anti-glare panel.
I think it really brings the aircraft to life as well. The blue panels are a personal affectation of the aircrew. Each of the pilots in my story has a 'colour' associated with their aircraft, and Nina and Red's aircraft has a good shade of blue.

I also picked out all the panel lines with a sharpened pencil to bring out the details, which has made the aircraft look a bit less toy-like. It needs a coat of varnish, and then I can apply some weathering inks to bring it up even more.

Look, it's rolled over so you can rub its' belly! xD

Unfortunately, between my packing my modelling stuff away for Christmas/winter and digging it all out again, I've lost one of the main armatures for the landing gear, and as such I've resorted to buttoning it up to display in flight. I'm working on building a stand for it too, and I've touched up the paint on the belly as a result too.

Hopefully I'll have some more pics shortly, when I've acquired all the bits and bobs I need to build the stand, and I can get around to weathering, decalling and mounting the ordnance. She's not finished, but I can see the end from here!
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!

sturmvogel

That's got a MiG-23 ish look to it. Quite nice!
"Helos don't fly, they vibrate so hard the ground rejects them." -Tom Clancy

Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off

McColm

More of a Mig-29 meets the Su-24. Great job.

SPINNERS

Super job and very Aardvarkski!

zenrat

Nice camo.  Almost a fractal thing going on.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

jsport

Captain Canada

Awesome paint scheme ! It does look rather Russian, from underneath anyway. Love all the mods and lumps and bumps !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

wacek85

Looks like swing-wing Yukikaze :) Great job :)

silverwindblade

Thanks - I should have some more pics up soon. Given it a wash with my normal solution, and almost at the decalling/weapons stage. Also made a lot of progress on a stand for her too.
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...

Army of One

Holy Moly what a beast......!!!!! I love it....... :wub:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

buzzbomb

Terrific... nice scheme..it is certainly packing some hardware.

And Batman pants.
Eveything in the one post

silverwindblade

FETCH ME MY MODELLING PANTS!

It's almost finished now, just waiting for varnish to dry, while working on the ordnance and the stand. I'll post some more pics shortly.

silverwindblade

So, it's finished!

I had to scratch up the stand, and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.
Some of the decals are peeling a little, so I'm going to have to keep an eye on them and see what happens.
Otherwise, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out overall, though it was a challenging build in places. It's a good representation of the aircraft that's in my head, so I'm pretty happy with the results, too. If I had to do it again, I'd use something other than the Academy kit, and model it with a bay full of whizz-bangs too.

Old Wombat

Oh, bugger! :blink:

I hate to point this out but the 'roos are facing the wrong way! :o

The 'roos always face the enemy. :tornado:

(That way they can sit back on their tails & use their hind legs to rip the enemy's guts open! :wacko: )

Other than that... How awesome can you get! :party: :thumbsup:

:cheers:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est