Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

kerick

Quote from: scooter on March 19, 2015, 12:38:23 PM
Quote from: Flyer on March 18, 2015, 08:33:58 PM
Quote from: Nils on March 18, 2015, 08:44:45 AM

Looks like it's dragging along a loaded diaper.

DAD!  My diaper's full!

Quiet son! The package says up to 35lbs. That's not nearly full! (Jeff Foxworthy)
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Spey_Phantom

i have a question for discussion, Boeing is planning to (temporarily) halt the production of the 737-MAX series following delays in fixing problems after 2 deadly crashes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/16/business/boeing-737-max.html

i was wondering, could this be the last member of the 737 family? is the MAX becoming this decade's DeHavilland Comet?
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

PR19_Kit

In my opinion the 737 is WELL past its 'sell by' date, but then I never did like the darn things anyway. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

IMHO, Boeing missed the development of a new/up-to-date short/medium range airliner in the Airbus 320 class. They just squeezed the 737 airframe out and blew it up several times (much like the DC-8), but at its core the aircraft's concept has IMHO been outdated since 15 years. But government protection kept it on the lines and pushed sales (not that Airbus/Europe was ANY better, though).

jcf

PR19_Kit

The airline industry has hardly had time to respond to Boeing's announcement yet..................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

I think the Airbus exec is saying Airbus is already at full production capacity, so any extra sales would be tacked on to the end of their backlog and not lead to increased revenue for several years, until they can build another assembly line.

But put it another way, IIRC Airbus has sold 900+ aircraft this year, Boeing is sitting at -84...

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 19, 2019, 12:09:05 PM
The airline industry has hardly had time to respond to Boeing's announcement yet..................

??? They've had plenty of time and were probably aware before the announcement.

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Captain Canada

Ouch lol. But so true. And the FAA. The Sikorsky that 18 people died in flying offshore in NL had had known transmission fault, that Sikorsky couldn't seem to fix, so concessions were made and off she goes. Guess what caused the crash ?
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Quote from: Captain Canada on January 23, 2020, 10:36:41 AM
Ouch lol. But so true. And the FAA. The Sikorsky that 18 people died in flying offshore in NL had had known transmission fault, that Sikorsky couldn't seem to fix, so concessions were made and off she goes. Guess what caused the crash ?

And a version has been militarized for the RCN and now has half been put into service, 17 years after it was ordered 'off-the-shelf'. I say half been because all they are using is some ""pre-production"" version.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

I read an article years ago damning the decision. The part that always stuck to me was how any Government would choose a " flying school bus " that no other military air arm was using, and foot the development bill to only acquire 17 airframes.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

jcf

Quote from: Captain Canada on January 23, 2020, 10:36:41 AM

It wasn't a "known transmission fault", it was that Sikorsky had assured regulators that it could keep
flying for 30 minutes after main gearbox total oil loss.

All helicopters are at the mercy of a main gearbox failure, it is not specific to the S-92, which uses
the same gearbox and rotor system as the S-70/H-60 series from which it was developed.

One of the upshots of the crash was that the rules were tightened across the board for everybody.

Captain Canada

From what I hear they were constantly getting the same low oil/ pressure loss alarm.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?