Pics from 2013 Oregon Historical Modelers Society Contest

Started by philp, September 27, 2013, 11:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

Last weekend I attended this annual contest at the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum in McMinnville, OR, a little south of Portland.

I met Steve Bakke at Uncle Rick's hobby shop in Calgary earlier this year.  Steve has the awful day job of piloting a F4U-5 Corsair out of Kalispell, MT.  While we were talking he mentioned the show in Oregon and as I had some time, I decided to check it out.

First off, the museum this show is held at is awesome.  Some of you may know it is now the home of the Spruce Goose and a lot of other stuff including an indoor water park where the start of the water slides is inside the fuselage of an actual Boeing 747 mounted on the roof.

To top that off the host club ran a very nice show with a well stocked raffle including a special raffle of one of the new 1/32nd scale Zoukei-mura He-219 kits. I did  manage 3 wins but not the Heinkel.

The vendors were numerous and many seemed to just want to give away their kits.  I bought way more than I had planned because I just couldn't pass up the deals.  This was an issue as I had flown in but Steve came to my rescue offering to mail the large box to me.  Not only that, him and his wife fed me dinner that night while we watched the Oregon St. game (his wife's alma mata).

A very quick trip but a lot of fun, met a lot of nice guys and even walked off with a couple ribbons.  Will have to see if I can make next years show.

Steve's 48th scale Airfix Lightning took Best RAF subject.

One of these 2 very nice 32nd F-16s won the category but I don't remember which.  They were done by the same guy.

This 35th scale Academy Stuart caught my eye and I even found the kit on one of the vendor's tables, sealed, for $10.

The first time I have seen a USPS Jeep in 1/24th.

Best Sci-Fi was this lovely AMT Klingon Bird of Prey (that is my little 6-wheeler behind it which took a 2nd).

And this neat little Eggbattros took 1st in the Humor category

There were only a few What If models.

This last one was a Junior entry.

You can see all of the pictures of the show are here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/115549746726410540917/2013OregonHistoricalModelersSocietyContest#

And pics of the museum are here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/115549746726410540917/EvergreenAviationAndSpaceMuseum#
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Captain Canada

Love to see how good modelers are....thanks for the pics ! Some truly fantastic work. The museum looks awesome ! Who wouldn't want to slide out of a 747 !

Neither link is working for me tho....both say 'internal error' ?

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Daryl J.

'twas fun to be a vendor there.  Perhaps next year I can have a Whiff or two entered.

I had no idea the fairer gender was so passionate about black Mustang Mach Ones! 

Librarian

philp

Quote from: Captain Canada on September 28, 2013, 11:33:11 AM
Neither link is working for me tho....both say 'internal error' ?

CC, I took the secured setting out of the last 2 links, see if it works for you now.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Glenn Gilbertson

Some great modelling there - thanks for sharing the pics, Phil.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

I was wondering if the 747 was made from Styrene sheet?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitnut617

Do you mean the one on the roof Alastair ?,  that is a real one, time expired, that Evergreen used to operate.

I was down at the museum August 2012, absolutely fantasic place.  I'll be going down again sometime soon.

Here's a pic of the front of the museum which is just across the car park ---

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Gondor

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 30, 2013, 05:23:02 PM
Do you mean the one on the roof Alastair ?,  that is a real one, time expired, that Evergreen used to operate.

I was down at the museum August 2012, absolutely fantastic place.  I'll be going down again sometime soon.

Here's a pic of the front of the museum which is just across the car park ---

I was refering to the fact it was Evergreen who make lots of Styrene sheet and shapes...

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Army of One

What a great looking place.....!!!! Some great looking kits......love the Vietnam (?) era twin prop a/c.....!!!
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

kitnut617

Quote from: Gondor on October 01, 2013, 02:21:18 PM

I was refering to the fact it was Evergreen who make lots of Styrene sheet and shapes...

Gondor

My bad!

I wasn't aware that it was this Evergreen that does all the styrene shapes (use it all the time), but if you see Sea-Can shipping containers with Evergreen on them, that's who they are ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jcf

No worries Robert, Evergreen Plastics and Evergreen International Airlines, Inc. have nothing to do with each other.
;D

Also the Evergreen Logistics Corp. shipping firm is part of the Evergreen Group out of Taiwan, a
completely separate entity from Evergreen Air International, Inc.

Same name, different firms.  ;D