Gloster Meteor PR MK.I

Started by The Big Gimper, September 29, 2013, 09:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Big Gimper

Folks:

Remember LT. I. M. Knowbody of the Bell F-11A Condor fame? Well he's back but now he is assisting the RAF with the same problem for the ETO. He been asked to help the RAF build their the own jet based PR asset.

So here we have WIP shots of the Gloster Meteor PR MK.I. The kit is an Airfix F.3 and the wings are from ... we'll I leave that as an exercise for the reader to determine the source. :-)

I had to build my own spars given the approach I needed to take to attach the new wings to the outside of the engine nacelles. (Can you say MPM butt joint?)

Here they are finally attached. PSR is still required. I decided to inject some reality as the Derwent's could probably not lift the full size wings. I like the new lines.  Also for comparison is the original F.3 wing. The scale wingspan is now 60 ft vs the original 37ft.

Give up? Okay. The wings are from a 1/72 DML Do 335B-4.  The Recce version. They are huge.
You cut off the ends and add the extensions.

While building my WP-47D, I noticed that the Academy decals kinda fit the Meteor tail.

Using the USAAF F-8 Mosquito red tail paint scheme I took it one step further.

Woo Hoo!! It's done.

Here we have the Meteor PR MK.I.  Another modelling mantra of mine: The kit with the fewest decals always gets finished first.

I was going to use 108 Gal paper drop tanks but decided to raid my Matchbox NF.11 and took the large belly tank and the landing gear. The cameras are from a Quickboost kit. I left the faring silver as it was a field fix.

Decals are from various sources. The FAA / Techmod donated the squadron markings.

Finished with a brushed coat of Future.

Family Portrait

Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

Mortal Wombat

Like I said last time, it won't happen again...

crudebuteffective

looks good the colour scheme works well on the meteor

:thumbsup:
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

PR19_Kit

Excellent stuff!

The forerunner of the PR19.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Big Gimper

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 29, 2013, 12:23:19 PM
Excellent stuff!

The forerunner of the PR19.  ;D

PR. MK. I:  George Carter never told you what happened to your father.

PR. MK. 19: He told me enough! He told me YOU killed him.

PR. MK. I: No, I am your father.

PR. MK. 19: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO etc
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

Glenn Gilbertson

Mad but beautiful! Very convincing. :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

Nice one ! Lovely model ( even though the wing is ugly  :thumbsup: ) and the paint scheme is just perfect.

:cheers:

And looking over that instruction sheet reminded me how much I love PR blue Mosquitos !

:wub: :wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Cobra

This is Superb & a Kick Tail Build :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Hope to see more Superb Work like this :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

Dizzyfugu

Wonderful work, looks pretty plausible from both construction and livery point of view. Nice!  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.