Royal Navy Wasp LHD Type "Medium" Carrier? And Sea Harrier FA.3?

Started by Old Paul, October 02, 2013, 08:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Paul

Well...in all the excitement, ordered an AV-8B by mistake. So that's going back. But also realised that either kits have shrunk or my fingers have grown since I was 15. And I can barely see a 1/72 kit.  :banghead: So the new version FA.3 will be a navalised AV-8B or GR.7/9 rather than a TAV-8B* and in 1/48 scale. Bodge up a Blue Vixen nose and possibly a single asymetric pod for the BK-27.

Once again, the swimming pool of life has been tainted by the incontinent toddlers of fate.

*Can't justify a resin conversion, unfortunately.

Captain Canada

I made a pretty convincing nose on a 72nd scale harrier using a 48th scale German WWII bomb....so if you have any of those laying about....

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Old Paul

Nothing like that about. And plans delayed while I exchange a 1/72 kit for one in 1/48. I now admire even more what some people are doing in 1/144 and, God help me, 1/700!  :bow:

Once I get hold of a kit, I need to see how practical it will be to put a short plug in behind the cockpit. The original idea was that the BK-27 would replace the back seat in the trainer, which I thought would be a fair trade in weight and space. Now have to find space for the breech assembly and a tank for linkless ammunition as per Typhoon. The barrel will be faired in below the cockpit. Or that's the plan.

And Captain C - now that MARCOM nonsense is done with, perhaps the RCN would like to fly some of these off something like a Giuseppe Garibaldi clone?  :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

Quote from: Old Paul on October 13, 2013, 12:15:00 AM
And Captain C - now that MARCOM nonsense is done with, perhaps the RCN would like to fly some of these off something like a Giuseppe Garibaldi clone?  :thumbsup:

We sure would !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DarrenP

Harrier F/A3 is one I've always been interested in some Recycled GR5's fitted with Blue Vixen radar.
ASRAM
AMRAAM
Alarm
Maverick
Sea Eagle
Sniper or TIALD pods

Captain Canada

I like that idea Darren. I had never thought of it, but I'm pretty sure I'll be test fitting some noses tonite !

:thumbsup:

I had an idea similar to that, and it's pretty much finished in my half-built Harrier pile. A scaled down Blue Vixen radar, podded, to give the GR.5 a better AA suite.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

alfavega

rickshaw

That is basically what we bought as the Canberra class LHDs.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.