Problems with Humbrol spray varnish

Started by NARSES2, October 03, 2013, 07:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Now as some of you will know from my blog I've been having some problems with Humbrol acrylic matt spray varnish. The worst problem is that on a couple of occasions recently it appears to have crazed the paintwork. Very badly on one model not so badly on the most recent.

Now it appears to be happening on surfaces I've not coated with Clear/Future as they were painted in Xtracrylic and had a surface glossy enough for transfers. Surfaces treated with Clear don't appear to be a problem ?

Now is this me or a problem with the varnish ?

Am I getting to close to the model and flooding it ?
I'm certain that I'm shaking the can for long enough but do new cans need extra shaking ?
Has something changed with the formulation of the Humbrol varnish ? I haven't had this problem with the stuff before.
Could they be part of a dodgy batch ?

Just interested to know if anyone else has had problems ?

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 03, 2013, 07:43:16 AM
Has something changed with the formulation of Clear ? I haven't had this problem with the stuff before.

Yes, but not that recently.

A few years back they changed it to conform yet more un-necessary EU 'Rules' and the new version is nowhere near as good for our purposes as the old version. If you bought yours within the last three years it's probably the new version.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Sorry Kit I should have said Has something changed with the formulation of the Humbrol varnish ?  :banghead:

When they changed the Clear formula I was one of those who went out and bought 5 bottles of the old stuff :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Ah, OK. I've never used the stuff, so I know nothing....  :lol:

I too have a small stockpile of original Klear too, just in case.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit