BBMF Airfix DHC Chipmunk in WWII RAF Training Command colors.

Started by CSMO, October 07, 2013, 08:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSMO

Strictly OOB build. I have seen Tucanos and Hawks in Battle of Britain colors. I think the BBMF should do one of their Chippies in this scheme to honor the folks in the RAF Training Command. Paint is Xtracolor and Humbrol. Decals are from the Red Box issue and the scrap-box.

Adios, Larry.

"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

Glenn Gilbertson

Captain Canada

Does that ever look right ! Well done ! What were the two colours used for the upper surface ? Love 'em !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kitbasher

Looks good (reminds me of a Miles Magister with a lid on it!).  Any more photos to share?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

That looks so right - really neat little build  :thumbsup:

Silly question but what are the "pool ball" like markings on the forward wing roots ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

CSMO

I don't know what the "billiard ball" markings are. I used them from the kit decals from the current Airfix red box BBMF Black/White airplane. Adios, Larry
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

CSMO

Quote from: Captain Canada on October 07, 2013, 04:31:02 PM
Does that ever look right ! Well done ! What were the two colours used for the upper surface ? Love 'em !

:wub:
I used Xtracolor RAF Dark Green, Earth, and Humbrol Trainer Yellow for the "Sand & Spinach" camouflage. Adios, Larry.

PR19_Kit

An excellent idea and well modelled too. I should suggest that to the BBMF, seriously.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TallEng

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 08, 2013, 07:42:58 AM

Silly question but what are the "pool ball" like markings on the forward wing roots ?

Got to agree there  :thumbsup: looks cracking in that colour scheme :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The "pool ball" like markings are around the fuel filler caps, Red for AVGAS, if I remember right.
The  "yellow" circle most probable represents the brass filler cap that we unscrewed to put the fuel nozzle
In, and the black and white circle will be the direct reading fuel gauge.
It's over twenty-five years since I last had the pleasure of Working on the Chipmunk :wub:
And one of my favorite aircraft too :thumbsup:

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

The Rat

Quote from: TallEng on October 08, 2013, 11:09:17 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on October 08, 2013, 07:42:58 AM

Got to agree there  :thumbsup: looks cracking in that colour scheme :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The "pool ball" like markings are around the fuel filler caps, Red for AVGAS, if I remember right.
The  "yellow" circle most probable represents the brass filler cap that we unscrewed to put the fuel nozzle
In, and the black and white circle will be the direct reading fuel gauge.
It's over twenty-five years since I last had the pleasure of Working on the Chipmunk :wub:
And one of my favorite aircraft too :thumbsup:

Regards
Keith

Been ages since I fueled a Chippie, but that's what I was going to suggest too.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Captain Canada

Thanks Larry...duly noted for future projects !

And that Spitmunk looks awesome ! Was that real or a spoof ?

:tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

CSMO

Quote from: Captain Canada on October 08, 2013, 08:15:24 PM
Thanks Larry...duly noted for future projects !

And that Spitmunk looks awesome ! Was that real or a spoof ?

:tornado:

The caption on Google Images states that it is a Royal Army aircraft stationed at Middle Wallop. Adios, Larry.