Swedish AF Jetstream AEW

Started by JayBee, October 08, 2013, 07:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 09, 2013, 10:18:13 AM
I'm thinking their engine mouldings could well do with being dipped in silicone rubber........  ;)

Do you need some ?  shouldn't be too difficult to do, much like the Seafire 47 casting I think ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

You can never have too many spare engine mouldings Robert.  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Now a couple of sets of those engines would not go amiss and could easily spawn an interesting conversion or two, assuming a set dose accidentally fall into some silicone rubber......

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

rickshaw

Would it be possible to put the nacelles from a Pucara on a Jetstream?  That would give it Astazou engines...
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kitnut617

I've seen a conversion by someone who did just that Brian.

JayBee

Bit of a thread revival here, but there are reasons. Well of course there are.

Firstly Telford came and went, great fun.
A week later SWMBO and I flew of for eleven nights in the Caribbean, Antigua & Barbuda to be exact. We had a graet, and warm, time apart from one incident.
The main camera died, thankfully we had a small digital compact for general photography, although when we visited the frigate bird colony the only camera I had with me was the main one and it died, so no photos of the frigate birds.

So what happened to the camera?
It drowned.
Well, we took a day trip to the island of Barbuda where the frigate bird colony is situated, incidentally it is the largest in the world and very much worth a visit.

The boat we were on was one of these big powered catamarans and a great trip was enjoyed by all. They make a mean Rum Punch on board!

On arrival at Barbuda there is no pier/jetty, they just run the boat nose first up on to the beach and let down steps between the two front bows.
I was first down the steps and although the crewman said "it is a big step" he did not mention that it was about three feet deep and about the same to anywhere that was  possible to stand on.
I had already sussed out that it was a bit deepish and I was holding the camera above my head, but that did not help me from going SPLASH!
Great hilarity all round!
Got out the water and checked the camera, it was giving an ERROR message, less than thirty seconds later it was totally dead.

So what with post Telford depression, camera blues, Christmas, New Year (this is Scotland!) I have only just started building again.

Now to what has started to happen here.

The Jetstream progresses.
Martin gave me one of his resin AN/APS 20 radomes but that turned out to be far too large for this project.
The BAe proposal was to fit the Jetstream with a variant of the Marconi AI-24 'Foxhunter' radar as fitted to the Tornado F3, and that is a much smaller unit.

Using the drawings that TSRJoe had provided me with, I scaled these to the right size and produced a master in balsa wood (Allan Hall would have been proud of me for that, and if you do not understand that comment you are far too young). Several coats of Mr. Finisher and sanding/polishing ended with something that was not too bad, in my eyes.
Then make a silicon mould.
Everything going well.

Then get out the resin and catalyst. Oh Oh! Problems.
I think the resin had died with age, it was very thick and granular in texture, and when I tried to use it but it would not set properly.
So I ordered some new resin on-line from a company in Sheffield. That arrived to-day after a wait of a week and a half!

At least it works, Hooray!!!!!!!

The first photo shows from left to right:

The AN/APS 20 radome, the Jetstreams radome, the balsa wood master, and the mould in the background.

The next two photos show the AN/APS 20 radome side by side with the Jetstream radome to give some idea of the size differential.

PS These are the first photos that I have taken with the new camera, thanks to the insurance company. They should get better with time.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Captain Canada

Too bad about the camera ! I was in the Bahamas last year and took a similar leap of faith off of a catamaran on a beach. When we went snorkeling I decided that just jumping in off the deck was faster and safer !

I like the look of the radome and am looking forward to seeing some progress. Resin casting is something I've always wanted to try and will eventually get around to doing !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

JayBee

A very slight update. This is just to show the differences between the engines on the Jetstream 3M (C-10A) and the Jetstream 31/32.

No, I am not planning a biplane Jetstream with very small propellers!  :rolleyes:

If anyone wants to know the basic differences between The J31 and J32, here you are :

http://www.jetstreamcentral.com/2012/06/21/how-to-tell-the-difference-between-jetstream-31s-and-jetstream-32s/

The original proposal was based on the J31, but as the kit intake is more like a J32 that is the route I am taking.

Jim

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

pyro-manic

Nice bit of surgery there - this is shaping up to be quite an impressive project! :cheers:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Captain Canada

That is looking good ! Thanks for the tip on the difference.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Quote from: JayBee on February 05, 2014, 08:18:15 AM

No, I am not planning a biplane Jetstream with very small propellers!  :rolleyes:

Jim

But you know you want to  :thumbsup:

I have a Jetstream on its way to me so knowing what the differences are is useful.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Shame, Jim.... would have turned some heads  :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

McColm

JayBee

Slow progress but at last the radome is fitted.

Here she is beside her sister ship. This is an almost OOB USAF C-10A "Saigon Taxi".

Cats are not real. 

kitnut617

Quote from: JayBee on February 05, 2014, 08:18:15 AM
A very slight update. This is just to show the differences between the engines on the Jetstream 3M (C-10A) and the Jetstream 31/32.

Jim

A bit of trivia -- In the latest Air-Britain quarterly I have, it just happens to have an article about Jetstreams that were in North America right after HP folded but hadn't been sold to anyone.  It explains that various companies converted the engines to expedite the sales of these.  One was a company called Riley (owner Jack Riley) who's main work had been converting Doves and Herons, but he did do a number of Jetstreams using PW PT6's. They look quite smart too.  They were known as Riley Jetstreams.

There's a number of photos in the article of the Garrett conversions too.