Douglas Skysearcher AEW(K)1

Started by PR19_Kit, October 08, 2013, 04:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 09, 2013, 10:13:26 AM
The time line would allow for a nose leg launch bar so I'll add one and add a bracing bar at the rear too.

Perfect, the bracing bar to the rear will be needed- that's a lot of weight to fling off the deck.

While the other recommended schemes of EDCG overall or a Falklands "Barley" gray are very plausible, everything is boring when compared to a FAA EDSG and Sky two tone job.

-Dave  
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Looks like it's tending to ESDG over Sky...........  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Given the wingspan of this build, I have reason to believe that the real Kit Spackman has been kidnapped by aliens and replaced by a pod person.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on October 09, 2013, 01:00:00 PM
Given the wingspan of this build, I have reason to believe that the real Kit Spackman has been kidnapped by aliens and replaced by a pod person.

Waves of hysterical laughter here are threatening to bring Mrs_PR19 out of bed wondering what the DEVIL I'm laughing about.  ;D :lol: :rolleyes:

In 'reality' the FAA didn't have any need for a higher flying version of the Slysearcher and they'd had quite a problem spotting them on the generous decks of the QEII and DoE with the existing wing span.

As I've left my usual putty at home I can't go any further with the PSR work on the Skysearcher, so I've been working on the artwork for the 849 NAS monster tail flash decal, complete with 'Bee'. See below for a scale view as if it was applied to the model.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Great looking build, (pod-person) Kit! :thumbsup:

Paint scheme is a difficult one given that the RN went through several scheme changes over the described time frame. :-\

EDSG over Sky is an awesome scheme. Not personally keen on blue/grey over white or overall DSG/MSG. As she'd be a relatively high-flying bird, perhaps a WhIf scheme of Medium Sea Grey over Light Grey? Maybe in the same pattern as the EDSG over Sky? :blink:

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kitbasher

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 09, 2013, 10:26:58 PM
As she'd be a relatively high-flying bird, perhaps a WhIf scheme of Medium Sea Grey over Light Grey? Maybe in the same pattern as the EDSG over Sky? :blink:

Good for a Falklands War or post-Falklands finish.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Finished the main assembly of the Skysearcher, which went OK except the engines don't fit all that well at the front. A bit of PSR and some heavy filing sorted that out and then I added the canopy with acrylic glue and added a small radar warning aerial on the fin. It already has one on the trailing edge but I added a Brit Standard one to the leading edge (see RAF Harriers, Phantoms, Jaguars etc etc....)

Then I masked up the canopy totally and put the first coat of primer on. There won't be a second one, not in this colour anyway, as I ran out on the very last pass over the model! As it's going to be a mostly Sky colour coat I'll do the 2nd primer coat in that odd yellowish shade Halfords have as I have a can of that in stock.

That tail bumper things doesn't really fit at all well, there's a 1/8" gap at the forward edge of it as built, but that succumbed to some PSR as well.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Is that ever looking good. I like the overall EDSG idea, like the first generation AEW Sea King. The one over sky looks too retro...

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Librarian

Looking really good. Nothing more satisfying than a good coat of primer, like a blank canvas.

PR19_Kit

I've just sprayed the underside Sky colour onto the aircraft and I'd post a piccie of it except it's Xtracolor and will probably take a week to dry......... :banghead:

It is looking good though, even if it was a REAL pain to get paint onto the inside of the engines and the pylons.

Regards
Kit

McColm

wow!! I hope my attempt on building an MPA version turns out as good as yours.

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 21, 2013, 07:42:24 AM

It is looking good though, even if it was a REAL pain to get paint onto the inside of the engines and the pylons.

I think someone needs to come up with a design for a nozzle that will spray around corners!

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Amazingly it's drying quite fast, maybe ready in the morning, but it really needs another coat as it's a pretty thin colour.

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Stay strong Kit - we're coming to rescue you from the clutches of evil Pod Person Kit so you can put bigger wings on the Skysearcher in time for Telford!